50 wins possible for Rinne?

SaekkiPaelli

Oct 1, 2011
Nashville has played 40 games so far and Rinne has 27 wins, which would make him to be on pace for 55 wins(not going to happen). All of predators wins have come with Rinne in the net, this is something that will probably change. And if this is the case in the latter half of the season Rinne won't get as many wins, since Hutton will probably get at least a few. But I still think he has a realistic shot at getting 50.

In addition, right now Brodeur has the single season record with 48 wins, I think he will at least threaten that.

So, does Rinne even have a chance to get 50? If he does, will he get 50?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Think they'll taper his starts a bit once they have a playoff spot locked up, don't want to burn him out for the playoffs just to get the extra couple of wins.

He'll have a chance to threaten Broduer's 48.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He definitely has a chance.

Nashville has 6 back-to-backs in the second half of the season, compared to only 3 in the first half, so that will take at least 4 starts away from him at the very least. In the 3 BTBs so far, Rinne only got both starts once, and they were against St. Louis and Chicago. (note: I'll be at one of those back-to-backs this month at Colorado, in the 7th row, and I'm already shuttering at the extremely likely possibility that Rinne sits that one. :rant: :facepalm:)

Judging by that, and the fact the the Preds will probably drop off slightly at some point, I don't think he gets 50. I say something like 46-48. Would be really awesome to see him get that record though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'd give it next to no chance. The season is too long and things change too frequently with the parity in the league. Even if he plays 70 games, 50 wins is way too much to ask. If you look at goalies that have cracked 45 wins, almost all of them are closer to 80 games played than 70.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'd give it next to no chance. The season is too long and things change too frequently with the parity in the league. Even if he plays 70 games, 50 wins is way too much to ask. If you look at goalies that have cracked 45 wins, almost all of them are closer to 80 games played than 70.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him start that many, he's started 73 before his injury and he's a goalie who likes to start as many as possible.

thehockeyfanatic

Oct 1, 2010
It would be amazing if it happened but I would bet against it for a few different reasons. Still to have 27 wins at this point of the season is remarkable.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'd think they'll taper his starts because they'll have a playoff spot locked up, and he hasn't played a full season in a couple of years, so there may be concerns about his conditioning. He's a workhorse goalie, but the lockout + injury... there's no reason to take any risks.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
the biggest threat won't be the number of starts...it will be the number of team wins. The Preds, I don't think anyone can argue, have over-achieved to this point. I'd still expect them to challenge for the Central Division title...but I don't expect them to continue playing at .725 hockey the rest of the way (42 more games). If they come back down to .650 hockey the rest of the way (still 112 points for the year - more realistic than the 119 they're on pace for), that would give the team roughly 25 more wins (with 4 points via OT/SO-loss). Will Rinne be in nets for all 25 wins. Perhaps.

Expecting 25 more wins in 42 games, after winning 27 in 40 isn't completely unrealistic. I think Rinne can definitely get 23 more wins to hit 50...provided his team doesn't play .550 hockey the rest of the way. (Which they won't with him in nets).

If I were in Vegas, I'd drop $100 on him doing it...depending on the odds.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It's rather a rare sight to have two goalies that have not so unrealistic chances of getting 50 at this point.

Would be like 06/07 when Luongo had 47 wins and Brodeur had 48.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I'd think they'll taper his starts because they'll have a playoff spot locked up, and he hasn't played a full season in a couple of years, so there may be concerns about his conditioning. He's a workhorse goalie, but the lockout + injury... there's no reason to take any risks.

There's like 50 reasons to take risks. Nobody has won 50 games before. That would be historic. Nashville wont make it past the second round in the playoffs anyway...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you are talking about Price, he is on pace for 45 wins. Highly unlikely he hits 50.

Were not even at the half mark of the season and he need 28 in 42.. with the team playing way better than at the start of the year it's not out of reach. I don't think Halak plays enough games, but the other two certainly have a chance. Looking at pace for goalie is notna good way to evaluate their true "pace". Looking at absolute numbers brings alot more information. He needs 5 more wins than Rinne in the same numbers of game.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Were not even at the half mark of the season and he need 28 in 42.. with the team playing way better than at the start of the year it's not out of reach. I don't think Halak plays enough games, but the other two certainly have a chance. Looking at pace for goalie is notna good way to evaluate their true "pace". Looking at absolute numbers brings alot more information. He needs 5 more wins than Rinne in the same numbers of game.

It's a big stretch. I doubt Rinne makes it and there is almost no chance for Price. But after Pekka, he has the best shot. But it's not really even that realistic shot.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a big stretch. I doubt Rinne makes it and there is almost no chance for Price. But after Pekka, he has the best shot. But it's not really even that realistic shot.

Rinne and Price both are on teams that seem good enough for it and they both clearly will play enough games. The only thing that might prevent them is if their coaches rests them, which is highly possible.

Rinne would have to see a noticeable downgrade in play time and number of wins.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Anything is possible. He is playing extremely well and the team is also doing well but it is from from a sure thing.

PlaceboFan

Sep 24, 2014
Another amazing performance. I think he is quite genuinely among the front-runners for the Hart trophy. Getting to 50 would be extraordinary achievement, but with the current form of Rinne and Nashville it is possible.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. Preds still have quite a few back to backs to go, which are generally the only scenario where he is healthy and sits.

JS91

May 14, 2014
41 games left for Nashville, Rinne needs 22 more wins. Assuming he starts, say 33 games he only has to go on a 2:1 ratio to get to 50 wins. It is definitely possible for Rinne to reach that 50 wins. Would be pretty awesome to see.

Last edited:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think he has a chance to do it and he does have the talent to do it as well. IDK if he will though. It would be cool to see him break the single season wins record.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Doubt it, but would be nice to see.
If it's close at the very end, I doubt Lavi would rob him of his crack at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->