Post-Game Talk: #50 | Flyers at Wild | January 26, 2023

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I thought fighting was necessary to win? I read where MacNothing hurt his jaw. If broke, then there is no reason to suit him up. If he can't fight he is useless. It amazes me that a team so short on talent actively chooses to waste 25% of their lines on total shit.....

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They're on a 79 point pace, I had them at 75-80 pre-season.
They'll probably have a little dip when they trade JVR, then a little jump when they bring up some kids who'll be hyped up.

Right now they'd pick 9th, to get any lower in the draft they'd have to catch the Isles, Blues, Red Wings or Panthers.
The only team behind them with a good chance of catching them is Ottawa - go Claude!
So 9-10 is probably going to be their draft slot.

JVR has 17 ES points in 29 games, 21 total.
12 more games before the TDL, so a hot streak would be nice to up his value.
FWIW - NHL Playoff Odds -MoneyPuck 2023 Playoff & Cup Odds

Not too far off, but I personally think they end up closer to 75-77 points. I think that stretch of 8-2 is inflating some of the projections as well. After the game in Winnipeg tomorrow, they have a small break, and then play 10 games in 20 days, and the travel is insane. 4 of those games are on the other side of the continent. And only one of those games is against a notably weaker opponent - MTL. I think that stretch will lower their projections a bit....

But, when all said and done, I don't think that will matter too much. They'll pick anywhere from 7-9, I would guess.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, I did a breakdown a few weeks ago & figured the 7-10 range is close to a lock.

They’re playing pretty good hockey, though. If they had Couturier they’d be right in the mix for the playoffs.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
tumblr_pk0l5p0lwg1tei0k7o4_400.gifv

I guess he was talking with Miss Kitty.....

1674836389506.png

Amanda Blake died of AIDS.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Yeah, I did a breakdown a few weeks ago & figured the 7-10 range is close to a lock.

They’re playing pretty good hockey, though. If they had Couturier they’d be right in the mix for the playoffs.

I don't know, maybe 4-6 points better with him and Cam? I don't know.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

The 8th seeded team from the east is going to be between 93-95 points. The Flyers are going to finish between 75-80 points. The best players in the world are worth about 5 wins, and 10 standing points. Couts was a guy like that when he was 24-26 years old. He's not now, even without the injuries.

The Flyers need a McDavid-type player just to get them to a bubble playoff team. And this is why I keep saying they need a 1 legit top line forward, an additional top-6 player, and a top pairing defenseman. You don't have either top line forward or top pairing defenseman. You'll get some additional standing points next season from some of the younger players development, but not enough to significantly move the needle. They need more talent.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don't know, maybe 4-6 points better with him and Cam? I don't know.
Take it for what it's worth, Evolving Hockey states that Cam has produced about 1 win over a replacement player per year over the last 4 seasons. Like I said earlier, Couts was a 5 win guy in 17-18/18-19. But he's not that guy right now.

You're likely only looking at 2-3.5 additional wins with Cam and Couts right now.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The 8th seeded team from the east is going to be between 93-95 points. The Flyers are going to finish between 75-80 points. The best players in the world are worth about 5 wins, and 10 standing points. Couts was a guy like that when he was 24-26 years old. He's not now, even without the injuries.

The Flyers need a McDavid-type player just to get them to a bubble playoff team. And this is why I keep saying they need a 1 legit top line forward, an additional top-6 player, and a top pairing defenseman. You don't have either top line forward or top pairing defenseman. You'll get some additional standing points next season from some of the younger players development, but not enough to significantly move the needle. They need more talent.
Well, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, & Washington are the leaders for the two wildcard spots.

Flyers are only 9, 7, & 6 pts behind them, respectively, while playing without Couturier & Atkinson all season.

The Flyers also are an improving team that is playing well & has been competitive in almost every game the last ~ 6 weeks.

They recently swept a home & home w/ Washington & mostly dominated Buffalo, two of those three wild-card contenders.

I’m not saying the Flyers would be “in” the playoffs, but I think they’d be right in that wildcard “mix” right now if they had their 1C/best player in Couturier, & another goal scorer in Atkinson.

Whether or not they could hang in there for the rest of the season or those teams would pull away over more games is a different question.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

And this is why I'm flabbergasted at the idea of Atkinson and Couturier turning the team around. They won't. They can't. Even Ellis in the mix too, that's still not assured.

They just went on a hot streak and they didn't move in the standings where it matters.

Reactions: mr4tno and VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts and Atkinson would help, it's not as simple as adding a WAR or two, Couts would have a major impact if healthy b/c of the "domino" effect. If Couts is 1C, Frost is 2C with far less pressure, Cates is either 2LW or 3C, and so on.

Same way a healthy Ellis would be a huge upgrade, Provorov - Ellis, Sanheim - York. Too bad that's now a pipe dream.

Adding a player at the top of the lineup pushes everyone down, and makes life easier for second tier players.
That, as well as their greater value, is why adding an elite player or two can turn teams around.

Landing a playmaking center or 1st pair RHD would make a big difference going forward for this team, allowing other players to move into roles that are more commiserate with their talent.

Reactions: JXC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couts and Atkinson would help, it's not as simple as adding a WAR or two, Couts would have a major impact if healthy b/c of the "domino" effect. If Couts is 1C, Frost is 2C with far less pressure, Cates is either 2LW or 3C, and so on.

Same way a healthy Ellis would be a huge upgrade, Provorov - Ellis, Sanheim - York. Too bad that's now a pipe dream.

Adding a player at the top of the lineup pushes everyone down, and makes life easier for second tier players.
That, as well as their greater value, is why adding an elite player or two can turn teams around.

Landing a playmaking center or 1st pair RHD would make a big difference going forward for this team, allowing other players to move into roles that are more commiserate with their talent.

Cates is 2C. Frost goes to waste. They minimize the ripple.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
TK wouldn't be this version as super Cam would be Torts Pet.

Frost wouldnt be on the team if Couts was here.

The 4th line sludge would be untouched.

Couts would add some points, but not near enough for playoffs.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Take it for what it's worth, Evolving Hockey states that Cam has produced about 1 win over a replacement player per year over the last 4 seasons. Like I said earlier, Couts was a 5 win guy in 17-18/18-19. But he's not that guy right now.

You're likely only looking at 2-3.5 additional wins with Cam and Couts right now.
This is what pisses me off about management. They are really playing the injury card like Couturier and Atkinson we the 2nd and 3rd comings. The reality is they do not move the needle especially at their ages and medical histories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad