Post-Game Talk: #50 | FLYERS (A) vs. Devils (H) | Thursday, Apr. 29, 2021 | Loss 5-3

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
worst season in my lifetime. managed to miss the mark on everything--playoffs, a decent draft pick, asset stockpiling at the deadline. oh, yeah, and that deadline--where they just added another contract for another whatever guy--also now increases the likelihood that they lose real NHL talent in the expansion draft.

no positives from this season. not a single one. no silver lining, nothing. a failure on every front. I mean, the 06-07 season set up the 09-10 Cup run. not the draft pick, but the acquisitions and changes made during the season as a result of the shit play. there was at least some satisfaction as Holmgren shuffled players out of town that there'd be new blood in, and even if the season was lost, the fundamental makeover the roster needed wasn't going to be put on hold.

what happens this year? everyone just gets a pat on the back and a few months off. Fletcher's gonna make some dumb move for a second pairing defenseman who makes first pairing money, and that'll be that. maybe we get to go lose a first round again this time next year.

f*** this team. f*** this franchise.

I think this is what I have been trying to formulate. It is that there is really nothing to gain from this season. No hope of players being shunted out, no hope of a coaching change, a likelihood of picking up a bad contract in the offseason for an overpaid defenseman... It is the first time I have had just a blah feeling. No hope, and only a slow grind to the bottom, where we will never win the draft lottery, or in the year we do, the player gets injured, we draft the wrong guy, or it is a bad draft overall with no real top choice. I guess in three years we will be where Buffalo is now, but without Eichel.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I think this is what I have been trying to formulate. It is that there is really nothing to gain from this season. No hope of players being shunted out, no hope of a coaching change, a likelihood of picking up a bad contract in the offseason for an overpaid defenseman... It is the first time I have had just a blah feeling. No hope, and only a slow grind to the bottom, where we will never win the draft lottery, or in the year we do, the player gets injured, we draft the wrong guy, or it is a bad draft overall with no real top choice. I guess in three years we will be where Buffalo is now, but without Eichel.
Nah, they'll be more mediocre than that. Most mediocre team in all of sports. Kind of remarkable in a way. The only way that they are in any way remarkable whatsoever. They won't sell and rebuild so you get perpetual mediocrity. Brutal but this is who they are. All you can hope for is that this is so relentlessly pathetic that even a flaccid bag like fletch can see he needs to blow it up... Yeah, we're f***ed.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

See, if I had it my way, we'd end up there in three years because of Eichel.

Oh, by the way, I didn't watch the game. But I'm up high as hell writing cover letters for applications and the replay is about to come on MSG, so that'll be fun to chuckle at I guess.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know people will excuse Lyon because he's "not an NHL goalie," but every team should carry a third stringer who is at least somewhat competent. The talent level between #2 and #3 goalies isn't that far off.

Yes it is, how soon you forget Pickard.
We just saw this movie two years ago, except the sequel is even worse.
It's hard to get any read on this team right now, how do you get fired up in meaningless games when your goalies allow multiple bad goals?

It's like a 63-7 NFL game, the losing coach usually just burns the film b/c there's nothing to be learned.
If I'm Fletcher, I just ignore this season when judging players.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
97d3d51e6f2ac6be2381f8412fe587f5.png

da12e533681468b6a134b29f824d5a59.png

f607dfcc89e95fed8802264adc52e0c3.png

59b99c321830a90165f1e9f10fe70042.png

11dfeba4ae66176a0d745d762f47dbe9.png

65d7c8bad0c2848c9153aa7793b3b2b2.png

"Give Provy the C"

vp8kvMIoFj8UI2RCjHzAJVsUNsH_9pokHZdJYkF_cRk.gif

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's hard to get any read on this team right now, how do you get fired up in meaningless games when your goalies allow multiple bad goals?

It's like a 63-7 NFL game, the losing coach usually just burns the film b/c there's nothing to be learned.
As bad as Pickard was he still went 4-2-2 and had a shutout.

Lyon couldn't stop a Robert Hagg point shot at this rate.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Quite the opposite, crappy situations like this year amplify what one is made of. That includes players, coaches etc.
Would you have said the same, had Flyers been a playoff team?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Quite the opposite, crappy situations like this year amplify what one is made of. That includes players, coaches etc.
Would you have said the same, had Flyers been a playoff team?

The goalies are so bad it's hard to judge players, I think they've been behind in most games by the end of the first period due to bad goalie play.
Throw in all the other weirdness this season, and I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions, not just on the Flyers, but a number of teams (Vancouver for example) that have had implosion seasons.

There's just some strange stuff, when you look at the advanced metrics for the 18 skaters since Taheo, this team should be in the playoffs.
But half the team are in extended scoring slumps that are abnormal given their career norms.
Just look at the crazy PDOs:
Myers .922
Sanheim .926
Voracek .934
Lindblom .935
Couts .936
Hayes .941
Ghost .941
JVR .944
Giroux .944
TK .951
Farabee.952

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
I know people will excuse Lyon because he's "not an NHL goalie," but every team should carry a third stringer who is at least somewhat competent. The talent level between #2 and #3 goalies isn't that far off.

The Flyers are covered because the talent between Elliot and Lyon isn't "that far off".

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
The goalies are so bad it's hard to judge players, I think they've been behind in most games by the end of the first period due to bad goalie play.
Throw in all the other weirdness this season, and I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions, not just on the Flyers, but a number of teams (Vancouver for example) that have had implosion seasons.

There's just some strange stuff, when you look at the advanced metrics for the 18 skaters since Taheo, this team should be in the playoffs.
But half the team are in extended scoring slumps that are abnormal given their career norms.
Just look at the crazy PDOs:
Myers .922
Sanheim .926
Voracek .934
Lindblom .935
Couts .936
Hayes .941
Ghost .941
JVR .944
Giroux .944
TK .951
Farabee.952

I will agree to disagree with you. Yes, this year is abnormal, but not using it for assessment means to kick a proverbial can further.
As for the metrics- we live in the "Tyranny of Metrics: (Jerry Muller) era. Without a story and action data are meaningless.
Nature of my work is turning data into action, and there are a lot of data in my field that are not actionable, but are collected for various reasons.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

Pretty sure that was supposed to be Ustimenko, but he got hurt.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
OK, I'll roll with this. In this crappy situation, the coaching staff has offered nothing.
There have been players who have played like **** but in most cases, the coaching staff put them into those positions. The majority of the failure for the season goes on the HC and his staff. Then AV comes with the excuses, which when examined, expose his failures. He could well be the worst coach in Flyers' history.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's really embarrassing himself this year. I'm sure he couldn't care less as long as it keeps him in his dream job, and I can't blame him for that, but it's time for everyone to start ignoring what he says, if you haven't already.

I think he’s always been this way to be honest. I just think it’s the landscape for the Flyers & hockey just in general that has made his positions tougher to defend these days.

Bill is & was always conventional & pro-Flyers authority in his opinions/talking points. Obviously the Flyers have sucked in the last ten years or so & analytics/internet have generally made be people very skeptical of conventional line of thinking in hockey given all the information out there now a days. So it’s been a much tougher position to take then say like 10+ years ago when people touted his word more so as gospel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->