GDT: #50 | FLYERS (A) vs. Devils (H) | Thursday, Apr. 29, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | MSG+, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
NEW JERSEY DEVILS (15-27-7) vs. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (22-20-7)
MQiCPyD.jpg
th

WarmheartedChiefBrahmanbull-size_restricted.gif

https:%2F%2Fbroadstreetbuzz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2018%2F08%2F15966513-850x560.jpeg

BROADCAST INFORMATION
TEAMS' WEBSITES
GAME PREVIEW, NOTES and STATISTICS
TEAMS' STATISTICS
Team GPRecordPts HomeAwayGFGAPP%PK%FO%
Devils4915-27-7375-17-310-10-412716913.7 (29th)70.2 (31st)47.0 (27th)
Flyers 4922-20-75110-10-412-9-313717219.2 (21th)73.5 (30th)53.4 (3rd)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

images
Possible Lineup
Lines
28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier -- 93 Jake Voracek
86 Joel Farabee -- 59 Jackson Cates -- 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk -- 21 Scott Laughton -- 57 Wade Allison
23 Oskar Lindblom -- 19 Nolan Patrick -- 81 Carsen Twarynski
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov -- 61 Justin Braun
54 Egor Zamula - 6 Travis Sanheim
55 Sam Morin - 5 Phil Myers
Goalies
34 Alex Lyon (starter)
37 Brian Elliott
Power Plays
PP1: Claude Giroux, Wade Allison, Jake Voracek, Sean Couturier, Ivan Provorov
PP2: James van Riemsdyk, Joel Farabee, Travis Konecny, Kevin Hayes, Travis Sanheim

Injuries and Scratches
8 Robert Hagg (healthy) could be scratched as a spare defenseman.
Kevin Hayes (healthy) could be scratched as a spare forward.

48 Morgan Frost (injured reserve) underwent surgery for a dislocated left shoulder and is likely out for the remainder of the season. He was injured January 19.
53 Shayne Gostisbehere (injury) has a sprained MCL and is out 7-to-10 days from April 25.
58 Tanner Laczynski (injury) had surgery to repair a torn labrum on his right hip April 26. His recovery time is expected to be 16 weeks..

62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel (healthy) could be scratched as a spare forward.
79 Carter Hart (injury) is out the remainder of the season due to a minor knee sprain suffered April 15.

Taxi Squad (subject to daily changes)
Forwards
10 Andy Andreoff
Defensemen
39 Nate Prosser
51 Derrick Pouliot
Goalies
32 Felix Sandstrom

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

th
Possible Lineup
Lines

59 Janne Kuokkanen - 86 Jack Hughes - 17 Yegor Sharangovich
37 Pavel Zacha - 13 Nico Hischier - 63 Jesper Bratt
39 Nick Merkley - 23 Mikhail Maltsev - 90 Jesper Boqvist
44 Miles Wood - 20 Michael McLeod - 14 Nathan Bastian
Pairings
22 Ryan Murray - 28 Damon Severson
8 Will Butcher - 5 Connor Carrick
24 Ty Smith - 7 Matt Tennyson
Goalies
29 Mackenzie Blackwood (starter)
41 Scott Wedgewood
Power Plays
PP1: Nico Hischier, Pavel Zacha, Jesper Bratt, Jack Hughes, Ty Smith
PP2: Janne Kuokkanen, Yegor Sharangovich, Miles Wood, Damon Severson, Will Butcher

Injuries and Scratches

11 Andreas Johnsson (injury) has a lower body injury and is day-to-day.
47 Aaron Dell (healthy) could be scratched as a spare goalie.
71 Jonas Siegenthaler (healthy) could be scratched as a spare defenseman.
76 P.K. Subban (virus protocol) is day-to-day
FROM THE PAST
January 7, 2014: Flyers win 3-2 (OT) after surrendering a SHG in the final minute of regulation

GAME DAY THREAD MUSIC
"Scream" by The Misfits

FLYERS' UPCOMING SCHEDULE
(subject to changes)
OIP.xjV6DIiYcaMmoWGhAx0BGwHaEG

DateOpponentTime (ET)Television
Saturday, 5/1vs. New Jersey7:00 pmNBCSP, MSG+
Monday, 5/3vs. Pittsburgh7:00 pmESPN+, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT
Tuesday, 5/4vs. Pittsburgh7:00 pmNBCSN, SN, TVAS, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT
Friday, 5/7at Washington7:00 pmNHLN, SN1, TVAS, NBCSWA, NBCSP
Saturday, 5/8at Washington7:00 pmNBCSWA, NBCSP
Monday, 5/10vs. New Jersey7:00 pmNBCSP, MSG+
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Be kind to Elliott, he's being asked to do more than he should, once a week (25 games over a full season) is about his limit, similar to Neuvirth a few years ago. Lyon should be playing half the games.

Reactions: Fotiu29

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am starting to wonder if COVID took more out of this team than we realize.
They have so many slow starts, they struggle to play with intensity for more than short stretches of games, when they play with intensity they're very good, but they can't sustain it. And I don't think they're "dogging it," that's not been the MO of this team.
Some players seem to have the "fog."
And it's not just the young players, when was the last game with the Couts line dominating from beginning to end?
Watching Allison, he just has more energy than most players, maybe he's played a lot less games, maybe he's just healthy.

The goalie issues make it worse, because a good goalie can keep you in a game and let you win with a good period, but with bad goalies, you can't take your foot off the pedal at any point.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
They have so many slow starts, they struggle to play with intensity for more than short stretches of games, when they play with intensity they're very good, but they can't sustain it. And I don't think they're "dogging it," that's not been the MO of this team.
And it's not just the young players, when was the last game with the Couts line dominating from beginning to end?
Watching Allison, he just has more energy than most players, maybe he's played a lot less games, maybe he's just healthy.

The goalie issues make it worse, because a good goalie can keep you in a game and let you win with a good period, but with bad goalies, you can't take your foot off the pedal at any point.
The Covid excuse is utter b.s. They seem to have no problem finding “focus” once they are down a few goals.

This team, night after night, comes out unprepared and, to be brutally honest, seemingly uninterested in the game that they are being very well paid to play. It’s inexcusable and it’s on both the coaches and the players.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

this honestly sounds like you’re describing the last 10 or so seasons of Flyers hockey though?

there are some Covid denying idiots out there that say that Covid hasn’t played any factor in the team looking like dog shit. Well, there are stats that support the fact that the hardest hit teams have also had some of the worst records after their outbreaks. But it isn’t the only thing or probably even a significant factor in this roster and team looking completely out of synch. Player and line chemistry (insistence on changing lines every 2 minutes by Av does not help), coaching (specifically here special teams) and goaltending (which I appreciate we will hopefully eventually get an idea of whether Hart had Covid). You sure hope it’s something that “simple.” And yes, Covid can play some factor in all of the above, except that we would have likely known had any of the coaching staff been sick. So they certainly can’t use Covid brain fog as an excuse for their boneheaded decisions. It also doesn’t explain Av’s horrible quotes about the prospects.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
this honestly sounds like you’re describing the last 10 or so seasons of Flyers hockey though?

there are some Covid denying idiots out there that say that Covid hasn’t played any factor in the team looking like dog shit. Well, there are stats that support the fact that the hardest hit teams have also had some of the worst records after their outbreaks. But it isn’t the only thing or probably even a significant factor in this roster and team looking completely out of synch. Player and line chemistry, coaching and goaltending (which I appreciate we will hopefully eventually get an idea of whether Hart had Covid). You sure hope it’s something that “simple.”

The off seasons are those with bad (not average, putrid) goaltending.

That kills teams, and it kills their spirit, notice the Flyers play harder when the goaltender is playing well this season, and tend to deflate when they've fought their way back into games and then the goaltender gives up an easy goal?

Right now the problem is AV is grasping at straws, playing the Couts line too many minutes, wearing them down and you see them do the "veteran glide," trying to preserve energy for the third period (this is common on teams that overwork their top 2 lines, veterans pick their spots).

But the lack of energy seems to pervade this team, more than I've seen for a long time, and it isn't like this team is full of high picks that are full of themselves and don't feel the need to work hard. Rather, they just seem a step slow, but we've seen the same players with jump in their stride.

At this point, I just want the season over, nail #12, get everyone vaccinated, and hit the ground running next September.
If that team looks this bad, AV will be gone by December.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
The off seasons are those with bad (not average, putrid) goaltending.

That kills teams, and it kills their spirit, notice the Flyers play harder when the goaltender is playing well this season, and tend to deflate when they've fought their way back into games and then the goaltender gives up an easy goal?

Right now the problem is AV is grasping at straws, playing the Couts line too many minutes, wearing them down and you see them do the "veteran glide," trying to preserve energy for the third period (this is common on teams that overwork their top 2 lines, veterans pick their spots).

But the lack of energy seems to pervade this team, more than I've seen for a long time, and it isn't like this team is full of high picks that are full of themselves and don't feel the need to work hard. Rather, they just seem a step slow, but we've seen the same players with jump in their stride.

At this point, I just want the season over, nail #12, get everyone vaccinated, and hit the ground running next September.
If that team looks this bad, AV will be gone by December.

i get the point you’re making. I guess the only other thing I’d add is that the team already looked disjointed and slow to begin the season. Even while they were winning games, it appears the eye test and metrics were consistently showing it was just a matter of time. I think the difference there also being that the goaltending was at least mediocre/average.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i get the point you’re making. I guess the only other thing I’d add is that the team already looked disjointed and slow to begin the season. Even while they were winning games, it appears the eye test and metrics were consistently showing it was just a matter of time. I think the difference there also being that the goaltending was at least mediocre/average.

There was only a one week TC, so I basically figured the first few weeks of the season were exhibition games, in that some players need to shake the rust off. They got some puck luck, but weren't playing well, but that's often the norm with many teams, some years they start hot, some cold, but usually after a month teams hit their "norm." Problem was that was when COVID hit.

It's just been a weird year, from the bubble to now, and if I'm Fletcher, I'm going to be cautious about reading too much into it.
This is not the offseason to "blow it up," because the team had been on a steady upward trend (normalized for bad goalie play) for five years.
I think the young players have been hurt the most, a lot of missed games, missed practices that has set their development back, both in the NHL and in the AHL and the CHL.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I’m more on board with the idea that the organization’s central issue in recent years has just been a general distrust and undermining of confidence in the youth. And this extends to Hextall and pre-Hextall. Sure. There’s an element of bad luck with injuries. And I’m not sure if it’s an attitude or culture, because it’s clearly plaguing other teams as well, but this idea that young players need to do twice as much to earn a roster spot or to show his worth is total bs. They just end up playing not to make a mistake rather than playing to their strengths. You could hear Jackson and Jones making stupid if even subconscious remarks essentially communicating the same thing yesterday and all season long. And clearly it’s how AV and his staff approach it too. How much faith you put in a young person and his abilities will impact what they show you on the ice. Goes without saying. The worst thing to see is not the losses. It’s the complete lack of joy in the guys faces and their play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers have played young players as much or more than any team with reasonable playoff aspirations the last six years (teams like the Devils don't count, b/c all they have left after the TDL are young players).

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Flyers have played young players as much or more than any team with reasonable playoff aspirations the last six years (teams like the Devils don't count, b/c all they have left after the TDL are young players).
Playing young players and growing them into better ones are two different things. Granted that Farabee has developed but the rest of them, for one reason or another, have regressed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't read too much into this season, I expect players all over the NHL to rebound with COVID behind them, a chance to work on development this summer and full training camps.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’d read very much into the last 10 years. The sample size is long enough to call out disturbing trends.

While this off season is big, the notion that they are a few steps away I can’t agree with. Hamilton, Ekholm, whoever - isn’t pushing them anywhere close to being able to taking the cup.

There are clear management, coaching, and development issues that continuously prevent this club from establishing itself as a premier team.

It needs to be nuked to kingdom come, but most importantly those in charge lead to the fire first.

The days of aiming to simply “make the playoffs” need to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->