GDT: [#50] Buffalo Sabres at Dallas Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FS-SW) - DAHLIN vs HEISKANEN

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Seriously Taylor Fedun has 22 points in 73 NHL games and is career +2 ( despite playing on a couple of bad teams ) . How has he only played 73 NHL games at this point ? I see nothing in his game that doesn't look like an NHL player. Can shoot , can pass , can defend and plays smart. He's not a physical guy but thats sort of going away anyway .

His analytics with the Sabres two years ago aren't even all that bad. Not close to how great they look with the Stars but still decent enough for a third pairing guy.

It just confuses the hell out of me how that guy never got a real NHL chance previously. I know he had a tough injury and all but that was in pre-season of 2011-12 but thats now 8 years ago.

I mean the only reason he even got a chance here is because we had like 6 defenseman on IR or something and some of the guys we had to call up ( Ben Gleason i'm looking at you ) are way too green for the NHL.
He’s going to start getting scratched though. He doesn’t deserve to, but announcers said Oleksiak is here to play, and is the 5th D-man. That means Fedun, Honka, and Carrick rotate some. Maybe one of Honka or Carrick gets traded soon, and the other barely plays down the stretch. I love what I’ve seen from Fedun.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He’s going to start getting scratched though. He doesn’t deserve to, but announcers said Oleksiak is here to play, and is the 5th D-man. That means Fedun, Honka, and Carrick rotate some. Maybe one of Honka or Carrick gets traded soon, and the other barely plays down the stretch. I love what I’ve seen from Fedun.

If he continues to play like today he's not getting scratched. That would make the team worse. Maybe for Honka after he has a bad game but not for Carrick. Carrick has been bad and his AHL stint did nothing to convice me he is any good. I'd waive Carrick if there's no trade involving Honka anytime soon. Carrick does not fit here at all.

Oleksiak is clearly the third best player playing on the left side so him playing every game makes sense and so does keeping Fedun on the third pairing on the right side with the way he plays.

The only way scratching Fedun makes any sense is if Johns comes back and can play 20 minutes a night and i'm fairly convinced that is not going to happen this year.

Edit: Or well they trade for another clearly better RHD but they already need to dump at least on of those albeit not very good ones.

Last edited:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
If he continues to play like today he's not getting scratched. That would make the team worse. Maybe for Honka after he has a bad game but not for Carrick. Carrick has been bad and his AHL stint did nothing to convice me he is any good. I'd waive Carrick if there's no trade involving Honka anytime soon. Carrick does not fit here at all.

Oleksiak is clearly the third best player playing on the left side so him playing every game makes sense and so does keeping Fedun on the third pairing on the right side with the way he plays.

The only way scratching Fedun makes any sense is if Johns comes back and can play 20 minutes a night and i'm fairly convinced that is not going to happen this year.

Edit: Or well they trade for another clearly better RHD but they already need to dump at least on of those albeit not very good ones.

I could see polak start to get the odd healthy scratch soon, for rest..i think they might need to give him some nights off. Been a physical taxing year for his old body

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I could see polak start to get the odd healthy scratch soon, for rest..i think they might need to give him some nights off. Been a physical taxing year for his old body
Monty has gone on record saying there are 4 "locks" Miro, Kling, lindell and Polak.
So i'm sure even if he needed it, it likely won't happen without some kind of injury scare

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Monty has gone on record saying there are 4 "locks" Miro, Kling, lindell and Polak.
So i'm sure even if he needed it, it likely won't happen without some kind of injury scare

Maybe on a back to back during a taxing strech. It also depends alot how the team plays . Still this 8 defenseman is hopefully not going to be a permanent thing again . The worst part because all three guys are righties all three are fighting essentially for the same spot next to Oleksiak. Who by the way i'm pretty sure was aquired because all three sucked playing left side. That third pairing became unuseable that way.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Maybe on a back to back during a taxing strech. It also depends alot how the team plays . Still this 8 defenseman is hopefully not going to be a permanent thing again . The worst part because all three guys are righties all three are fighting essentially for the same spot next to Oleksiak. Who by the way i'm pretty sure was aquired because all three sucked playing left side. That third pairing became unuseable that way.
All three suck in general, regardless of side.
I'm kind of shocked Carrick hasn't been waived at this point. getting to bury a mil of the 1.3 cap hit would be a good idea, or better scenario he gets claimed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
All three suck in general, regardless of side.
I'm kind of shocked Carrick hasn't been waived at this point. getting to bury a mil of the 1.3 cap hit would be a good idea, or better scenario he gets claimed.

We didn't need to waive anyone yet so probably thatswhy. With Dickinson getting injured there's a decent chance he goes on IR which puts the decision to waive Carrick or send Hintz/Guri down ( which shouldn't happen ) off for probably a ccouple of more games . Pitlick will just slot in for Dickinson and thats that .

I do think Fedun has been significantly better than Honka and especially Carrick. He's earned that spot at least for the time beeing.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
^Doesn't sound like a serious injury for Dickinson according to Monty.

Man, Hintz & Gurianov can fly. If/when those two figure out how to score in the big league, they'll be even more fun to watch. Gurianov seems to be getting more comfortable with every call up, just needs to start putting some points on the board now.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Man, Hintz & Gurianov can fly. If/when those two figure out how to score in the big league, they'll be even more fun to watch. Gurianov seems to be getting more comfortable with every call up, just needs to start putting some points on the board now.

Hintz looks like a Janmark. Guryanov displays some serious flair and I want him to pop off ASAP

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I mean Monty said the same thing about Dickinsons back injury and then he missed ~3 weeks .

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Just finished watching last nights game; even though it was 1-0 we looked good offensively and as a team.

Hintz and Guryanov should be regulars. Dickinson looked good as well, hopefully he isn’t going to miss another stretch.

I also didn’t hear Oleksiaks name much but when I did it wasn’t cause he was doing things wrong.

32 games to go. Continue this push please.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hintz looks like a Janmark. Guryanov displays some serious flair and I want him to pop off ASAP

Janmark but with a better shot and more defensively responsible/intelligent and slightly higher offensive IQ and abilities I'd say

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Janmark but with a better shot and more defensively responsible/intelligent and slightly higher offensive IQ and abilities I'd say

He's also bigger and that allows him to be more physical if need be . Hintz can bullrush people on the forecheck Janmark not so much.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Hintz style of play is more similar to Nichuskin than Janmark or what Nichuskin was somewhat supposed to be .

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think Hintz style of play is more similar to Nichuskin than Janmark or what Nichuskin was somewhat supposed to be .

I agree, and I feel like Hintz thinks the game better than Janmark. Most of Janmark's game is based on his speed, whereas for Hintz, speed is simply an asset. Granted, he hasn't shown much more than that in the NHL yet, but he's still very young into his career.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Janmark’s IQ is fine. His shot is soft and he doesn’t have the size to shove people off the puck. And yeah, he’s having a down year but it’s not like he’s the black hole out there like Nuke.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Hintz doesn't have Janmark's agility - the thing that makes Janmark a somewhat useful checker. Right now Hintz is in the NHL because his awareness makes him promising, but he hasn't been able to use that to his advantage at this level yet. Stylistically I think Hintz plays the game like a poor man's Scheifele. There's a pretty big difference in talent level and Scheifele as a teenager was still stronger than Hintz is now, but in terms of the way they want to create offense I see a lot of similarities.

If you asked me to take one player for a single game right now, Janmark is a pretty easy choice because he's just a more useful player, even if his use is somewhat limited. But Hintz is still a rookie, that's to be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad