5 years later - Nashville Predators 2011 draft evaluation

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Here's my original draft recap: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=938593

It's 5 years and this draft for me is still very much a question mark.

C Mark McNeill
HFNHL: 1st Round, 12th overall
NHL: 1st Round, 18th overall, Chicago
Difference: -6
I wanted Mark Scheifele, but he got picked much earlier - would have been the right call though. McNeill is a strong AHL player and may get a shot at the NHL next season, but at this point he is not what people expected from him. I traded him weeks ago.

D Scott Mayfield
HFNHL: 2nd, 41st
NHL: 2nd, 34th, New York Islanders
Difference:+7
Already some NHL games under his belt, Mayfield these days projects as a bottom 3 physical defenseman. He will have to make a serious push for an NHL spot come training camp otherwise he may risk getting overtaken by some younger Isles prospects.

F Mario Lucia
HFNHL: 2nd, 45th
NHL: 2nd, 60th, Minnesota
Difference: -15
1 year USHL, 4 years NCAA, and here we are. Lucia signed his first pro contract recently and will play in the AHL next season.

D Joel Edmundson
HFNHL: 3rd, 71st
NHL: 2nd, 46th, St. Louis
Difference: +25
I traded him. I am sorry. Loved the pick at this time, it took him some time, now he is in Colorado where the team is too deep to get him into the HFNHL lineup.

C Joe Cramarossa
HFNHL: 4th, 94th
NHL: 3rd, 65th, Anaheim
Difference: +29
Just recently got extended by the Ducks, but he is not an NHL calibre player.

C Sean Kuraly
HFNHL: 4th, 101st
NHL: 5th, 133rd, San Jose
Difference: -32
Took he same path like Mario Lucia, thus the upcoming season is his first pro season and he will start in the AHL. Was traded from the San Jose Sharks to the Boston Bruins in the Martin Jones trade.

G Steve Michalek
HFNHL: 5th, 134th
NHL: 6th, 161st, Minnesota
Difference: -27
A kid with extreme ups and downs, Michalek is a battler and a talented goalie too. Looked great in the ECHL, got called up to the AHL and did not miss a beat. With injuries in Minnesota even got the call to the NHL, but has yet to play in a game. LOVE that pick, there might be something there.

D Jonathan Racine
HFNHL: 6th, 161st
NHL: 3rd, 87th, Florida
Difference: +74
Racine has like zero offensive skills, but is a pure shutdown defenseman who can skate and is tough. He already has had his NHL debut, but it has been quiet since, so his qualities may not be enough.

D Darren Dietz
HFNHL: 7th, 187th
NHL: 5th, 138th, Montreal
Difference: +49
Unranked by all major draft publications, i selected Dietz from a deep Saskatoon Blades blueline only to see him go unselected in the NHL draft. The Montreal Canadiens then drafted him in 2012 and Dietz has developed steadily to the point where he got into the NHL lineup last season and did not dissappoint scoring 5 points in 13 games. My second favourite pick in this draft after Michalek.

F Cody Beach
HFNHL: 7th, 191st
NHL: 5th in 2010, 134th, St. Louis

Minor league bruiser with some offensive abilities, but nowhere near NHL quality.

Overall: Close to a fail in the first round, I am satisfied with the outcome so far later in the draft. There could still be a number of like 4-6 NHLers and that is a solid draft, even when 5 years later there's no one there who is an established NHL player yet. Maybe i should evaluate again in 2 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad