5 Years Later - HFNHL Lighting 2011 Draft Review

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
One of these years I'll be in the league (or with a team) long enough to do a 5 year review on my own draft class. This is another draft by former GM Martin Sedin, and unlike 2010 where most of the picks had been traded, this one is shaping up to be a successful one for the franchise.

1.2 - Adam Larsson, D

It was likely a no-brainer at the time. Not only for his pre-draft ranking but also because GM Sedin was known for drafting Swedish players. There were some dark days in his career and things weren't looking good for a while but has now established himself as a very good NHL player. He may not live up to the star potential he was once thought to have but he has become a quality #2-3 D and is still young.

End result: Current Lightning top pair D

2.32 - Victor Rask, F

Remember what I said about the Swedish thing? Rask has shown steady improvement every season since coming to NA to play in the WHL. After just one AHL season he forced his way into the NHL and is coming off a 48 point performance in his second season. May never be a top line offensive force but looks to be a quality middle 6 C that will make coaches happy playing a good team game.

End result: Just activated and about to be Lightning top line C in 2016-17

4.92 - Logan Shaw, F

After a decent AHL season last year Shaw started out on fire this season and got a shot in the NHL. Surprisingly he managed to stick with the Panthers and played 53 games. Was traded a couple years back for a 3rd (which was packaged for a 2nd and then packaged in the Laine deal) & Andrey Makarov.

End result: Traded away but looks to have a career in the NHL

5.148 - Victor Berglind, D

Went undrafted in the NHL and has spent the last few years playing in the Allsvenskan.

End result: Released from prospect list

6.152 - Magnus Nygren, D

A fantastic talent to find this late in the draft. Nygren would go on to be named the top D in the SHL during the 2012-13 season before deciding to try his luck in NA. After a series of strange events, Nygren has decided to go home after toiling in the AHL for parts of a couple seasons. I'm not sure why Montreal never gave him a real shot but it may have crushed a potentially promising NHL career.

End result: Wasting away on my prospect list

7.182 - Henrik Tommernes, D

Another great find this late in the draft. Tommernes also tried to come over to NA but gave up after a couple seasons playing for the Canucks affiliate in the AHL. He's a solid D in the SHL currently but is unlikely to try coming back at this point.

End result: Hanging out with Nygren on my prospect list

Looking back, this draft class has resulted in 3 NHL players, 2 of which are off to excellent careers, 2 top end SHL D who had shots at being NHL players and only one pure bust. Fantastic draft class and the true start of the Lightnings future foundation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad