5 years later - 2015 Draft review St. Louis Blues

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
The Blues had traded their 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2014, involving trades for Wayne Simmonds and Mark Borowiecki, respectively. We had also moved a few late rounders, so were left with only four picks overall and just the 1st rounder on Day 1 of the draft.

1.29 Anthony DeAngelo
DeAngelo has had his ups and downs over the last 5 years, spending time with two other teams before settling in with the Rangers this year as a full time NHLer and averaging 0.5 points per game. He seems like a solid bet to be a top 4 d-man for many years, while seeing solid time on the PP. There has been understandably some hand wringing over this pick with multiple trades and anticipated attitude issues as he adjusted to the NHL. He has been dangled in trades a few times, but never at a discount from the 1st round value.
Should have taken: There was no hesitation at the time, but I thought I was going to end up with Braydon Point, who I had top 30. But I was relieved post-NHL draft when DeAngelo went 19th and Point went 79th. In hindsight, Point would have been a home run, although I’ll take the value of DeAngelo at 29 any time.
Outcome: A solid 1st round pick

4.99 Miles Wood
Wood had been drafted the year before as a high schooler by the Devils, and even though he was drafted 100th overall the year prior and didn’t represent crazy good value at 99, in Lou I trusted and had read a good report about him in a Devils draft blog. Son of.
Should have taken: By that time, I have no idea. Very happy with a guy destined to score 25-35 points a year whole being very physical, perhaps with 20 goal – 40 point upside in the years ahead.
Outcome: Excellent 4th round value.

4.119 William Lagesson
Lagesson went late 3rd round in the NHL draft at 91st overall, so solid value. He was a big puck moving d-man for the Swedes, although questions were around his offensive upside. In the end, he’s had an up and down development path, but definitely on a high right now after a solid 27 points season in the AHL after having returned to Djurgardens last year to further develop after his college career (which happened post-draft)
Should have taken: Quite happy with a big d-man still developing at this stage. Might get a cup of coffee with the Oil next year at some point, but seems like he’ll get a shot.
Outcome: Solid 4th round value.

5.139 Chris Clapperton
Clapperton closed out a great career in the Q with Rimouski and seemed like a solid two-way player destined for a long stint in the AHL. However, after a brief time in the pros in 2015, he jumped to Canadian University hockey and just finished his 4th year at U of NB.
Should have taken: No regrets. My late round list doesn’t look great in retrospect.
Outcome: Tough to call a 5th rounder bust, but pretty much.

In the end, the Blues grabbed two solid NHLers out of 4 picks, with one still having a shot. I'll take it any day of the week given only one first day pick. Certainly a better draft than average for the Blues, as the %'s go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad