Boston Bruins 5 Years Ago Tonight - BERGERON, BERGERON, BERGERON

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What if Boston had lost that game? The team and organization would have been so different. For one, Seguin would probably still be a Bruin. Julien would have been fired. Iginla would not have been a Bruin. Boychuk might still be here. Rask would probably not have the contract that he does.

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
The best part about this is "we took them to game 7. Should have won the series."

Wonder how many more times after this year they will be content taking us to game 7.

Its the small victories I guess

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I was at the game. I never left my seat. I remember the guys next to me leaving right before Horton’s goal to make it 4-2. They got home just in time to see the goal. There was a couple in front of us that were Toronto fans. The girlfriend talked crap all night standing up and yelling stuff. When Bergeron scored a little bit after I look over and she is crying. Her boyfriend finally decides to put is arm around her to console her and she slapped his arm away and screamed at him don’t f***ing touch me!! Great memories.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What if Boston had lost that game? The team and organization would have been so different. For one, Seguin would probably still be a Bruin. Julien would have been fired. Iginla would not have been a Bruin. Boychuk might still be here. Rask would probably not have the contract that he does.
It's kinda funny, when you think about what would've happened to the Leafs. We probably continue to spin our wheels to this day. Still trying to build around Kessel and Phaneuf.
Most of us feel that the loss was a big reason why that team had to be taken apart and rebuilt. I certainly do.
It was a crossroads. Boston continued to be a strong team in the short term and probably was robbed of better things by an incompetent GM. We continued to make stupid moves and eventually Shanny came and convinced the board to start from scratch.

Amazing how one single game could've changed 2 different franchises. And who knows, maybe Pittsburgh doesn't win back to back because we never trade them Kessel.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
GahdenRinkRat and I were there. My daughter had flown home for the game and had a seat near Jaci and Tracey.

There are 8 seats in our row (it is split because of the tunnel). There was me and my sis and 6 Leaf fans. They asked us if we wanted to leave when the score was 4-1...we said no we would stay to the end and told them congratulations.

...and there was Looch shouting "WE can win this".. I thought...um...I don't think you can....He was going nuts. What a blast that game was ! You never leave a game early ! Stupid fans who left and couldn't get back in.

All the way back to NH we listened to the radio. They played "Bergeron...Bergeron" many times. It didn't get old.

Hard to believe it has been 5 years.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I watched this one on the couch with my father. I remember when it got to be 4-1 i said to him that in typical Bruins fashion they’d dominate the rest of the way and lose 4-3, just enough to allow them to try putting a positive spin on it. When it got to 4-3 i was convinced of my prediction. Never been so happy to look like an idiot.

Which reminds me, there’s also a post on Facebook from 2011 after game 2 with Montreal. I wrote “**** this team.” My former brother in law likes to remind me of it every year

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Iconic call by Dave Goucher that we'll always remember. No matter what happens the rest of his career, "Get the Duck Boats ready" and "Bergeron! Bergeron!" will be the two cornerstones of his broadcasting career.

Jack being Jack on the booth cam is great, but I love Brick's reaction. As Jack is going bananas, Brick is just calmly adjusting his suit and his pocket square.

My son was 6. He was in bed. I have no idea how I didn't wake up him - or the rest of the neighborhood - when Bergeron scored that night. What that overshadows is the B's nearly won it in regulation.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
My son was 6. He was in bed. I have no idea how I didn't wake up him - or the rest of the neighborhood - when Bergeron scored that night. What that overshadows is the B's nearly won it in regulation.

Puck hopped over Peverely's stick if I remember right, he had a wide open net.

Girlfriend at the time was like "you mad?" when they went up 4-1, but I always hang in there. That last five minutes was a rush. Besides the cup of course, my favorite moment as a hockey fan. I watch highlights from this game as a pick me up when I'm feeling down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad