5 years after being drafted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I guess its true what they say after a player is drafted..."in 5 years...".

The draft 5 years ago was the 1998 draft, let's see the players breaking out who came out from that draft:

Alex Tanguay................................ (3rd in league scoring)

Mike Ribeiro .................................. (61 pts, leads team in scoring)

Michael Ryder................................ (22 goals, 57 pts, 2nd in team scoring)

Pavel Datsyuk ............................... (25 goals, 61 pts, 2nd in team scoring)

Mark Bell ..................................... (20 goals, 2nd in team scoring)

Mike Van Ryn ............................... (33 pts....2nd in team scoring!)

Jonathan Cheechoo ...................... (25 goals)

Brian Gionta ............................... (19 goals)

Andrew Raycroft ........................... (25 wins, .929 %, 1.97 gaa)

Trent Hunter ................................ (24 goals, 47 pts, leads team in scoring)

And to a smaller extent (as far as breaking out):
Rico Fata
Manny Malhotra
Josef Vasicek

This proves that patience is key....next year I expect the 1999 draft class to bust a move.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
sonnytheman said:
I guess its true what they say after a player is drafted..."in 5 years...".

The draft 5 years ago was the 1998 draft, let's see the players breaking out who came out from that draft:

Alex Tanguay................................ (3rd in league scoring)
Mike Ribeiro .................................. (61 pts, leads team in scoring)
Michael Ryder................................ (22 goals, 57 pts, 2nd in team scoring)
Pavel Datsyuk ............................... (25 goals, 61 pts, 2nd in team scoring)
Mark Bell ..................................... (20 goals, 2nd in team scoring)
Mike Van Ryn ............................... (33 pts....2nd in team scoring!)
Jonathan Cheechoo ...................... (25 goals)
Brian Gionta ............................... (19 goals)
Andrew Raycroft ........................... (25 wins, .929 %, 1.97 gaa)
Trent Hunter ................................ (24 goals, 47 pts, leads team in scoring)

And to a smaller extent (as far as breaking out):
Rico Fata
Manny Malhotra
Josef Vasicek

This proves that patience is key....next year I expect the 1999 draft class to bust a move.

Sweet, that means Havlat will break out next year

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Add Milan Kraft!
Selected 23rd, he was the best forward in the WJC the followin game, captaining Czech Republic to the Gold Medal, and he's finally breaking through.
So far, he has 34 points in 58 games while only getting 15 minutes of icetime.
He has a point a game in his last 15 games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Add to the list...

Milan Kraft 16 goals 18 assists 34 points in 58 games(4th on Penguins)

Not bad considering his former career highs were 8 goals 8 assists and 16 points in 2001-02(in 10 more games).

edit: damn you evilo :p

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
SJSharksFan said:
Where is Brad Stuart?
68 Games 6 Goals 27 Assists for 33 Points

You mean the 26th highest scoring defenseman in the league?

Also give 6 year for defensemen to find their game and 7 for goalies as a rule of thumb.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Add to the list...

Milan Kraft 16 goals 18 assists 34 points in 58 games(4th on Penguins)

Not bad considering his former career highs were 8 goals 8 assists and 16 points in 2001-02(in 10 more games).

edit: damn you evilo :p
;)

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Bryan Allen has had a break out year, doesn't neccessarily reflect that in the stats, but he's improved greatly this year. He's been playing 20 minutes a game, and been a key penatly killer.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
basically, i meant players that were either unheard of before this year, or whose stats and quality of play have jumped up quite a few notches. That's why a guy like Stuart isn't there, he was great 2 years ago

Now Backman, I haven't seen play, so that could be another guy

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
Alex Tanguay you hadn't heard of before?

Sure the fact he is top 5 in league scoring is impressive but I don't think he's "broken out" this year.. his breakout occurred a few years ago in the playoffs

blueliner

Tough Building
Sep 18, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
hmmm...this '5-year plan' theory presents a potentially interesting scenario for next season, if there is one...

here's a quick sampling of guys i threw together from the 99 draft who are at a certain stage in thier development, and who based on their past 12 months one might theoretically expect a bust-out of some sort from next season...i've left out the guys who are arguably already there (jackman, havlat, zetterberg, comrie, etc) and tried to focus more on 'under the radar' types (some of them in terms of 'when' they'll break out, not in terms of 'if') who might otherwise emerge as sleepers for one reason or another...

purely hypothetical obviously, there's a lotta different issues with a lotta these guys, but how many of this year's bust-out's could people have expected with any degree of certainty?

pat stefan - highly unlikely in my view, but ya never know
the sedins...the bust-out's already in progress i'd argue but might put up some serious numbers and be the guys they were drafted to be
pavel brendl...hey, was looking alright before the collarbone injury, could be his year
taylor pyatt...ehhhh, power-forward, i'd give him another year or two
ollie saprykin...might finally find some consistency, and matching numbers
jani rita...intriguing case, could go one way or completely the other
jeff jillson...see pyatt
dave tanabe...might rack up the points his talents suggest he can
kon koltsov...looks good, could do something with greater responsibility on an improving team
steve mccarthy...being brought along slowly which is fine for a rearguard, might put it all together
milan bartovic...won't do anything gaudy but compares well to a guy like koltsov imho
jordy leopold...watch him blossom next year
alex semenov...might find a consistent physical game, could be scary to play against
branko radivojevic...his time is now
matt weinhandl...see radivojevic, perhaps a smidgeon behind in terms of development
ryan miller...could he do a 'raycroft' and settle the sabres crease question once and for all?
marty prusek...sleeping giant in net according to many, could get his chance and run with it.
mike leighton...been good this year, could step it up another notch
marty erat...been great, could seriously explode with the right linemates
radim vrbata...c'mon, this guy's gotta bounce back

i'm sure i've ommitted plenty of worthy inclusions, but that smattering doesn't seem THAT unrealistic if ya think about it.

Brownies

blueliner said:
hmmm...this '5-year plan' theory presents a potentially interesting scenario for next season, if there is one...

here's a quick sampling of guys i threw together from the 99 draft who are at a certain stage in thier development, and who based on their past 12 months one might theoretically expect a bust-out of some sort from next season...i've left out the guys who are arguably already there (jackman, havlat, zetterberg, comrie, etc) and tried to focus more on 'under the radar' types (some of them in terms of 'when' they'll break out, not in terms of 'if') who might otherwise emerge as sleepers for one reason or another...

purely hypothetical obviously, there's a lotta different issues with a lotta these guys, but how many of this year's bust-out's could people have expected with any degree of certainty?

pat stefan - highly unlikely in my view, but ya never know
the sedins...the bust-out's already in progress i'd argue but might put up some serious numbers and be the guys they were drafted to be
pavel brendl...hey, was looking alright before the collarbone injury, could be his year
taylor pyatt...ehhhh, power-forward, i'd give him another year or two
ollie saprykin...might finally find some consistency, and matching numbers
jani rita...intriguing case, could go one way or completely the other
jeff jillson...see pyatt
dave tanabe...might rack up the points his talents suggest he can
kon koltsov...looks good, could do something with greater responsibility on an improving team
steve mccarthy...being brought along slowly which is fine for a rearguard, might put it all together
milan bartovic...won't do anything gaudy but compares well to a guy like koltsov imho
jordy leopold...watch him blossom next year
alex semenov...might find a consistent physical game, could be scary to play against
branko radivojevic...his time is now
matt weinhandl...see radivojevic, perhaps a smidgeon behind in terms of development
ryan miller...could he do a 'raycroft' and settle the sabres crease question once and for all?
marty prusek...sleeping giant in net according to many, could get his chance and run with it.
mike leighton...been good this year, could step it up another notch
marty erat...been great, could seriously explode with the right linemates
radim vrbata...c'mon, this guy's gotta bounce back

i'm sure i've ommitted plenty of worthy inclusions, but that smattering doesn't seem THAT unrealistic if ya think about it.

Add Jamie Lundmark to the list.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
1998 was a VERY good draft year. Don't expect the 99 crop to ever reach anywhere near that level of play. It was one of the worse draft of the 90s, IMO.

Mr.Brownov*

Vlad The Impaler said:
1998 was a VERY good draft year. Don't expect the 99 crop to ever reach anywhere near that level of play. It was one of the worse draft of the 90s, IMO.
With the exception of Marty Havlat and perhaps Jordan Leopold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->