5-year old only pushes with left foot

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
My 5-year old started hockey this year after doing skating lessons most of last season. He can stand stably on the ice, balance on either foot and move relatively quickly, but he's only using he left foot to push.

I keep trying to get him to use his right foot but he says he can't.

Any ideas on how to help him overcome this?

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
When we drill the developmental mites (about your son's age), we have them alternate their pushing legs for the entire length of the ice. So one time down, you can only use your left leg to push, then only the right on the way back. Sometimes that helps because the problem might be in trying to put the two pieces together, not that he actually cannot do it. If that's too much, then try one legged swizzles (just like a C cut but going forward) the same way before graduating to strides.

But if he truly can't push off with the other leg, get him a mini net or one of those penguin stability things he can push around, but have him just push off with the weaker leg. Eventually, he'll develop the muscle memory and strength needed by doing that, if that is indeed the issue.

Also, make sure he's in a good skating position. Feet under his shoulders, knees bent, chest up (nose over toes). Sometimes kids will cheat to one side make striding on the other side more difficult.

So there are some things we do, but honestly, most kids will figure it out with only a little intervention. Sometimes, when I find when we overemphasize something with one of the kids, they actually get worse at it ... it becomes a pressure / inner game of tennis kind of thing. So always gotta balance correction with confidence.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I officiated for 35 years at every level of the game. I was a self taught skater and very small. It was my skating that caught everyone's attention and got me to the high level that I achieved. I was considered a world class skater and I mainly pushed off with my left foot. If it's natural for your son, let him do what's comfortable for him. As he progresses, after all, he's only five, he'll start using both feet to push off with depending on the situation. Don't push him. The more fun he has, without the pressure, the better he will be.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I've been leaning towards non-intervention for the reason you cite. I'm just worried that it will take him too long to figure it out and he'll lose a whole year of development.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
When we drill the developmental mites (about your son's age), we have them alternate their pushing legs for the entire length of the ice. So one time down, you can only use your left leg to push, then only the right on the way back.......

In IP (4-6 year olds) here this is a very common drill. & the OP's son's tendency is very common when a child starts gliding on their own, we do continue to develop them though so that they do gain confidence on the other foot & continue progressing.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
When we drill the developmental mites (about your son's age), we have them alternate their pushing legs for the entire length of the ice. So one time down, you can only use your left leg to push, then only the right on the way back. Sometimes that helps because the problem might be in trying to put the two pieces together, not that he actually cannot do it. If that's too much, then try one legged swizzles (just like a C cut but going forward) the same way before graduating to strides.

But if he truly can't push off with the other leg, get him a mini net or one of those penguin stability things he can push around, but have him just push off with the weaker leg. Eventually, he'll develop the muscle memory and strength needed by doing that, if that is indeed the issue.

Also, make sure he's in a good skating position. Feet under his shoulders, knees bent, chest up (nose over toes). Sometimes kids will cheat to one side make striding on the other side more difficult.

So there are some things we do, but honestly, most kids will figure it out with only a little intervention. Sometimes, when I find when we overemphasize something with one of the kids, they actually get worse at it ... it becomes a pressure / inner game of tennis kind of thing. So always gotta balance correction with confidence.

I see this a lot with our 4-6 year olds. When I ask them to balance on one foot, they can balance on their right foot but not so much on their left. So it is no surprise they keep their right foot glued down when they are on a hard slippery surface. That's why the idea of using those supports is so good, gives them confidence while developing the feel/muscle memory for it.

For this issue, I also encourage them to practice at home balancing on one leg alternating legs, for 3 sets of 10 seconds each, either daily or every second day. Takes all of 1 minute, and its amazing how they pick it up in their sleep. This is an interesting read.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
For this issue, I also encourage them to practice at home balancing on one leg alternating legs, for 3 sets of 10 seconds each, either daily or every second day. Takes all of 1 minute, and its amazing how they pick it up in their sleep. This is an interesting read.

That's a good one! Going to steal it for our kids.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
That's a good one! Going to steal it for our kids.

What works even better is to have them do it on a bosa ball. Both sides of the bosa ball. Then get them to do it with eyes closed.

If they can do it for 10 seconds with eyes closed, then get them to do it in a very quiet room if you can. With eyes closed and without sound to give you a sense of horizontal, it is incredibly difficult.

The key thing is they must use their torso/core to balance, arms (and free leg) should not be waving about, the idea is that the abs/serratus/erector spinae etc muscles are developing the muscle memory to do the balancing, leaving the arms to handle the stick.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
My 7yo used to do this at 5. He simply grew out of it within a few months the more he skated and now has near perfect form. As a player and good skater myself, I was worried but I didn't (couldn't) do anything specific to get him to change his ways. His brother at the same age was better than him in form but now even he's not as good.

I'm no professional coach, but I feel a lot of their development really accelerated after 5 (they started at like 3.5), meaning starting earlier than 5 really didn't help much other than to provide some fun.

Last edited:

99gecko

Apr 21, 2012
Markham, ON
It's not as uncommon as you might think.

All three of my kids did the exact same thing. Like others here, I was always wondering if there was something I could do to correct it. The IP program forced them to do T-pushes with both feet, which they would do for the drill, but during free skating, or game play, they always reverted to the same technique. This year my six-year-old has given it up.

They all out grew it without intervention. As a coach, I would be on the ice with them and always reminding them, "use both feet". But however, what I noticed with my kids, and some (not all) other kids who do same thing, is that they were MUCH more likely to favour one side, when they were skating with two hands on the stick. The reason? They were using it as a crutch. Once I recognized this, I encouraged them to skate with only one hand on the stick (unless they were stick-handling, etc). At least they were more likely to use both feet in those circumstances... The other circumstance I noticed that they would revert to one-legged pushing was either during or just after, what from their perspective might have been considered a dangerous or clustered/jammed play... i.e. when they were unsure they were going to be able to remain upright. So I think it might be a defence mechanism for some young skaters, that they return to safety "on their terms", not unlike some beginner players that intentionally fall down if they sense an impending collision with another player or the boards.

I don't know if anything I did, or didn't do, really helped or not with my kids, but maybe watch your player to see if any of the above is the case.

cheers

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
It's not as uncommon as you might think.

All three of my kids did the exact same thing. Like others here, I was always wondering if there was something I could do to correct it. The IP program forced them to do T-pushes with both feet, which they would do for the drill, but during free skating, or game play, they always reverted to the same technique. This year my six-year-old has given it up.

They all out grew it without intervention. As a coach, I would be on the ice with them and always reminding them, "use both feet". But however, what I noticed with my kids, and some (not all) other kids who do same thing, is that they were MUCH more likely to favour one side, when they were skating with two hands on the stick. The reason? They were using it as a crutch. Once I recognized this, I encouraged them to skate with only one hand on the stick (unless they were stick-handling, etc). At least they were more likely to use both feet in those circumstances... The other circumstance I noticed that they would revert to one-legged pushing was either during or just after, what from their perspective might have been considered a dangerous or clustered/jammed play... i.e. when they were unsure they were going to be able to remain upright. So I think it might be a defence mechanism for some young skaters, that they return to safety "on their terms", not unlike some beginner players that intentionally fall down if they sense an impending collision with another player or the boards.

I don't know if anything I did, or didn't do, really helped or not with my kids, but maybe watch your player to see if any of the above is the case.

cheers

Good points all around. Thanks for sharing!

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for the tip. Since I posted the question he's made a lot of progress. I've stopped telling him to use both feet during his drills and scrimmage time. But we do a couple of special exercises together. I hold my stick horizontally for him to grab and skate backwards pulling him. He practices balancing on one foot. As he's gotten better, it's one foot and one hand. He's putting less and less weight on the stick each time. Then we reverse it and he pushes me. I tell him to put his feet like a duck and to dig in with the blade. Holding the stick he can push very well with his right foot. I think these two exercises have really helped.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
My son from 4-6 did EXACTLY the same thing, drove me nuts. He's 11 now and a phenomanal skater (both legs lol). We sit back and laugh about it now.

One day, he will just start "skating" trust me

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Almost every 4-5 year old does it at first. Completely normal.

Keep doing the "one foot push down the ice" drills alternating feet. Also off ice, have him get into hockey position, then put one foot out to the side and back, kind of like a lunge. Do that several times alternating legs, and you'll get some muscle memory. Also works well if you have wood floors to have him in socks sliding his foot out and back.

One great way to get the kids skating and balancing well is to play freeze tag (in full gear of course) without sticks. It's amazing how much more they push themselves when they are having fun.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
Almost every 4-5 year old does it at first. Completely normal.

Keep doing the "one foot push down the ice" drills alternating feet. Also off ice, have him get into hockey position, then put one foot out to the side and back, kind of like a lunge. Do that several times alternating legs, and you'll get some muscle memory. Also works well if you have wood floors to have him in socks sliding his foot out and back.

One great way to get the kids skating and balancing well is to play freeze tag (in full gear of course) without sticks. It's amazing how much more they push themselves when they are having fun.

Thanks Jarick. It's reassuring to hear this is common condition. It's been especially stressful because his twin brother is skating well with both feet and flying all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad