News Article: 5 Worst Trades in Senators History

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Karlsson trade (quantity was fine, but wanted at least one piece to be really excited about)

Let's wait and see where San Jose's 1st rounder this season ends up before final judgement on that one. That's basically the biggest piece of that deal right now.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Rundblad trade shouldn't be there because there's no way of knowing if Ottawa would have taken Tarasenko with that pick had they not made the trade.

Anybody with a bit of experience following hockey know you don't evaluate a trade like that. "Senators Sends Away a Future All-Star Tarasenko" lol that sounds a bit ridiculous, as they traded a mid 1st round pick for a guy that was drafted the year before, again in the mid of the first round. It was actually a pretty good trade since Rndblad's stock rose significantly, up to the point that he was able to return 22 y/o Kyle Turris, a recent 3rd OA pick

I don't know who wrote that very poor article, but it's probably not a sport journalist, or at least it shouldn't be

Fisher a bad trade? Fisher was a 30 y/o veteran with 2 years left at 4.2 AAV, which would be close to 6 M$ today. He was traded for a 1st and a 3rd in a rebuild/youth movement. That was actually an excellent move, even though it sucked to part with Fisher

Nothing to see here, it's as bad as random opinions you can find on HF

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Trading Karlsson, trading Stone.

I know people talked about how we finished third from last with them... but lots (all of them) of teams recover and can build around superstars. We trade them away like it's a smart move. It's incredibly stupid and shortsighted. Teams re-tool and build with star players on their roster.

Did Washington give up 2 years after drafting Ovechkin because they were still finishing near the bottom in the east? No. How about after years of disappointment in the playoffs? Again, no. What did they do? Oh they eventually won a Stanley Cup.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That's fair. I see them near the top again even with the turnover, but you never know.

I'm not quite as confident.

They have an ageing core, lost a few key leaders & have Karlsson returning from off-season surgery after playing through the playoffs to the conference finals.

Geee, where have I heard this before?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Spezza trade needs to be on there,

Just lol at trading a then 60 points at worst center for a 2nd, Chiasson, and mediocre prospects.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

They have an ageing core, lost a few key leaders & have Karlsson returning from off-season surgery after playing through the playoffs to the conference finals.

Could be. I do think they're in better shape than Ottawa was during the collapse though, that was more due to an inept support core than the core of stars themselves. The question becomes, can guys like Meier, Hertl & Labanc take the reigns and join guys like Karlsson, Burns and Couture as a solid core?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
A few thoughts:

- How is "We don't draft Russians" an acceptable excuse for trading the pick that ended up being Tarasenko for Rundblad (look at it from St-Louis' perspective: they must absolutely LOVE that trade for them)? Why are we putting arbitrary limits on ourselves? Are we in a position to have such arbitrary limits?

Thank god we recovered later by trading Rundblad (and, let's not forget, a 2nd round pick) to get Turris. But these are separate deals. You can't just say we traded that 1st rounder (Tarasenko-to-be) to get Turris.

- I'm not too bothered by the returns on Mike Fisher. The picks turned out badly, but that's more on the drafting (and the lottery aspect of it) than on the trade itself. I'd replace that one on the list with one of Havlat, Hoff or Ziba trades.

- We need to stop making quality-for-quantity trades, like the ones involving Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, Havlat.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'd say personally in no particular order...
Bishop
Hossa
Havlat
Spezza
Silfverberg

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Spezza trade
Bobby Ryan
Bishop to Tampa
Duchene

Cant think of a 5th one atm that's comparable to those

Hoffman is up there actually. That was pure dorion getting embarrassed infront of the nhl

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A few thoughts:

- How is "We don't draft Russians" an acceptable excuse for trading the pick that ended up being Tarasenko for Rundblad (look at it from St-Louis' perspective: they must absolutely LOVE that trade for them)? Why are we putting arbitrary limits on ourselves? Are we in a position to have such arbitrary limits?

Thank god we recovered later by trading Rundblad (and, let's not forget, a 2nd round pick) to get Turris. But these are separate deals. You can't just say we traded that 1st rounder (Tarasenko-to-be) to get Turris.

- I'm not too bothered by the returns on Mike Fisher. The picks turned out badly, but that's more on the drafting (and the lottery aspect of it) than on the trade itself. I'd replace that one on the list with one of Havlat, Hoff or Ziba trades.

- We need to stop making quality-for-quantity trades, like the ones involving Karlsson, Spezza, Heatley, Havlat.

To be fair, Rundblad's value skyrocketed after we acquired him. If StLouis was a typical afraid to draft Russians team, they could have ended up with Hishon instead. I think value wise, we did pretty well in getting Rundblad for 16th OA, StL making a savvy pick doesn't change the value we got, and Rundblad busting after we moved on from him doesn't change the value he had at the time and while a Sen either.

Hindsight being what it is, we should have drafted Tarasenko, but ending up with years of Turris for our 16th OA pick isn't a bad thing, that's a success story imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It doesn't belong in the top-5, but honorable menation for old-timer fans has to go to the Bob Kudelski trade.

When we traded Kudelski, he was a point-per-game winger with 26 goals by the halfway mark of the 1993-94 schedule, and we traded him for... Evgeny Davydov and some late-round picks.

Kudelski was like the ONLY GOOD THING about the first half of the 1993-94 season, it was a truly terrible hockey team, he was our leading goal scorer when he was dealt, and we got nothing for him.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
IMO, worst trades:

1. Demitra for Olsson
2. Havlat and Smolinski for Preissing and Hennessy
3. Spezza for Chiasson & spare parts
4. Campoli and Comrie(2nd stint with Ottawa) for Mcammond and a 1st (Kyle Palmieri)
5. Tugnutt and Laukkanen for Barrasso

This is a great list. All were horrible trades although I'd probably find a way to squeeze the Zibanejad trade into the mix.

little BiG

Dec 6, 2018
Spezza trade
Bobby Ryan
Bishop to Tampa
Duchene

Hoffman is up there actually. That was pure dorion getting embarrassed infront of the nhl

This is my list too.

I actually liked the Zbad trade, especially considering what Ottawa eventually got for Brassard last year.

Most of what I remember from Zbad was him being a talented player who rarely showed any enthusiasm in playing. He struck me as somewhat lazy and he seemed to have more interest in being a DJ than in playing NHL hockey.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Spezza trade
Bobby Ryan
Bishop to Tampa
Duchene

You must be young

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

I don’t understand the aging core part

Couture: 30Yrs old
81-27-43-70 (Playoffs 65Pts in his last 60GP)

Hertl: 25Yrs old
77-35-39-74

Meier: 22Yrs old
78-30-36-66

Kane: 27Yrs old
75-30-26-56

LaBanc: 23yrs old
82-17-39-56

Doug Wilson has rebuilt on the fly... Ivan Chekhovich is going to make up the final part of the top six imo
Sasha Chmelevski, Ivan Chekhovich candidates for Sharks roster

Just might have the most offensive upside of any forward the Sharks have that’s 21 years of age or younger. A sniper. Obviously had a terrific year with 105 points in 66 games for Baie-Comeau, but has showed he can produce at the AHL level as well with 18 points in 19 games (regular season and playoffs) under Roy Sommer. Ideally, he’d get more time with the Barracuda just to round out his game and master the level. But with the Sharks, from all appearances, needing a skilled forward to fill out the top nine, perhaps Chekhovich can be that guy. If he can show the Sharks’ coaching staff that he can also be a responsible player on the defensive end, he’s got a real shot.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Recent:
Duchene trade
Zibanejad trade (though that one is worse with hindsight)
Spezza trade
Bishop trade (very poor asset management)
Hoffman trade

Older:
Heatley trade
Havlat trade
Demitra trade

In no particular order.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don’t understand the aging core part

Couture: 30Yrs old
81-27-43-70 (Playoffs 65Pts in his last 60GP)

Hertl: 25Yrs old
77-35-39-74

Meier: 22Yrs old
78-30-36-66

Kane: 27Yrs old
75-30-26-56

LaBanc: 23yrs old
82-17-39-56

Doug Wilson has rebuilt on the fly... Ivan Chekhovich is going to make up the final part of the top six imo
Sasha Chmelevski, Ivan Chekhovich candidates for Sharks roster

Just might have the most offensive upside of any forward the Sharks have that’s 21 years of age or younger. A sniper. Obviously had a terrific year with 105 points in 66 games for Baie-Comeau, but has showed he can produce at the AHL level as well with 18 points in 19 games (regular season and playoffs) under Roy Sommer. Ideally, he’d get more time with the Barracuda just to round out his game and master the level. But with the Sharks, from all appearances, needing a skilled forward to fill out the top nine, perhaps Chekhovich can be that guy. If he can show the Sharks’ coaching staff that he can also be a responsible player on the defensive end, he’s got a real shot.

Ok? What about keeping goals out of their own net? They've done nothing to improve goaltending, their biggest weakness. Burns is 34, Vlasic is 32 and has already started declining rapidly. No replacement for Braun.

I'm not saying the Sharks are going to miss the playoffs. I'm just saying that making the playoffs is not as safe a bet as people think it is.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ok? What about keeping goals out of their own net? They've done nothing to improve goaltending, their biggest weakness. Burns is 34, Vlasic is 32 and has already started declining rapidly. No replacement for Braun.

I'm not saying the Sharks are going to miss the playoffs. I'm just saying that making the playoffs is not as safe a bet as people think it is.

Burns is coming of a 16G 83 point season
Karlsson even coming off an injury should be good for 60-70 points
Vlasic sucked last year until the playoffs
Dillon is an awesome defenseman
Simik is a good defenseman

Desimore had 46Pts in 68AHL games
Wood had 35Pts in 68AHL games
Top prospect is Ryan Merkley who had 71Pts in 63ohl GP

This is a club that can score 300 goals this season

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Despite getting the worst goaltending by far in the league last year they still finished 2nd in the keague and outside the top 10 in mist goals allowed. I think they will probably sort thing out pretty quick given they have the cap space to aquire a fix if the have lost confidence in Jones and Dell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->