5 Underrated Prospects Eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft by Puck’s Prospects

AdamoR61

May 16, 2019
5 Underrated Prospects Eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft by Puck’s Prospects

In no particular order...

1. Cole Caufield
Cole Caufield is the most risky pick in this draft. His numbers and stats scream “top 5 pick” but his 5’7, 163 lbs frame scream “don’t take him.” At the U18s he scored 14 goals in 7 games for 18 points which broke Alexander Ovechkin’s record. This season playing beside Hughes he scored 72 goals in 64 games. Caufield is clearly the most pure goal scorer in the draft. Obviously, these stats don’t mean he is guaranteed to be a star but don’t be surprised if you see Caufield’s name in the Maurice Richard race in the coming years

2. Samuel Fagemo
Who? Samuel Fagemo is a winger from Sweden who just put up 25 points in 42 in the SHL on a championship winning Frolunda HC. In this championship run Fagemo played big minutes on the penalty kill while putting up 10 points in 16 playoff games. Although he may go in the 3rd-4th round, most NHL teams would love to have a plug in player to do the dirty work and create some offence on the bottom six. Only downside to him is that he is an overager.

3. Jamieson Rees
Jamieson Rees is a 5’10 centre who most recently played on the Sarnia Sting of the OHL. In a shorten season for him, he put up 32 points in 37 games. Rees is a speedy player who put up 8 points in 7 games for team Canada at the U18s. Most scouting experts have him going beyond the 2nd round however with his skill, he has the capability to still be an impactful player in the NHL.

4. Leevi Aaltonen
Leevi Aaltonen is a Finnish winger who just played for KalPa’s U20 team in the Jr. SM-Liiga where he put up 36 points in 29 games. I am not going to act l have seen this guy as much as the others but his 5 points in 5 games U18 performance has me sold that this kid has a chance to make the NHL. At 5’9 very undersized but his skill and the passion that he plays with should be enough for him to make the jump to the pros.

5. Nils Hoglander
A Swedish winger who once again is undersized at 5’9 with tons of skill and heart. This year in the SHL he only put up 14 points in 50 games as a depth player on Rogle BK. His numbers don’t jump off the screen but once you see this kid play, you will quickly see the potential he has.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Simon Holmstrom and Karl Henriksson for me are more underrated than Fagemo and Hoglander. That is based on what I've read from various reports/rankings etc..

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Huge fan of Fagemo. From what I have seen shown he produced at a great rate at ES

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not sure many of the guys mentioned in OP are actually that underrated. I think guys like Cam York, Ryan Johnson and Daniil Misyul would be better examples of players that are underrated relative to what they have performed this year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Nikola Pasic, Fensore, helleson, whoever the heck #25 is on Dorofeyevs line in Russia lol

Luv me some Pelletier and Rees higher up tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad