5 Things I Think I’d Do

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
5 Things I Think I’d Do - from the hotstove
If Dave Bolland is going to be okay this year, I think I’d stand pat at the deadline. I don’t like the trade market in terms of what we know is available (so I guess there’s a small asterisk there), and I think if the Leafs really want to they can roll four solid lines and actually utilize some impressive depth. They are obviously set in net, and I’d say they are seven deep on defense. I don’t know if this team is ready to make a run in a bad Conference, but I just don’t see the point in giving up futures when they can easily put together a deep line-up with what they have when they are healthy.

I think I’d offer Kulemin a slight raise to $3.25M over three years (he’s turning 28 this year) just to see if he’d bite. His versatility has been extremely valuable to the Leafs this year as he’s now played every forward position for the team. When a penalty needs to be killed, Kulemin is out there. When a lead needs protecting in the final minute, Kulemin is out there. When someone is out and a player needs to be pushed up the line-up and produce, it is Kulemin. He’s their best defensive forward, he’s great along the boards, and he’s a big guy. They need to explore if there’s a deal here to be made.

I think I like what Ranger has done in limited minutes as the seventh D-man, but ultimately he’s still the odd guy out when they go back to the conventional 12 and 6. That said, I’d be a lot more willing to go 11 and 7 the odd time here or there down the stretch after seeing it work so smoothly last week. It was nice to have Ranger back on the PK because that’s where he has done his best work for this team.

I think I’d try switching Raymond off the second PP unit for either of Clarkson or Kulemin. Raymond is a third skilled guy to go along with Kadri and Lupul, whereas Clarkson or Kulemin would do the dirty work in front of the net and retrieve the puck when it’s lost. Far too often this Raymond-Kadri-Lupul is just guilty of playing too cute with the man advantage, but adding a net and board presence really changes the dynamic of the unit.

I think I’d keep Clarkson on the Kadri line. They were beginning to get rolling last week and I do think Clarkson can add something to that line. Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin flashed potential in their brief stint together and Bodie has probably claimed L4 RW for now, while McClement isn’t coming off if he’s healthy; that leaves Holland, Smith, Ashton and the enforcers fighting for the final roster spot if everyone’s available to play. This is a good problem to have.

and another tidbit:

When the Leafs played the Devils almost a month ago, New Jersey elected not to dress their superheavyweight Cam Janssen even though the Leafs were dressing theirs. Last week the Panthers elected not to dress their heavyweight, Krys Barch, against the Leafs. We keep saying this, but teams simply do not engage the Leafs anymore. They aren’t even dressing their heavyweights now. Now, note that Colton Orr has been healthy scratched two games in a row. It’s only two games, so it’s hard to get a true read on it, but it’s something to monitor moving forward. As the Leafs get healthy now, it will be interesting to see what they do with their lines.

So waive McLaren dammit!!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I agree except with Paul ranger- I just don't like this guy at all. BUT, if it keeps one of the goons out i wouldn't mind him as the 7th D

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
1. Offer Nikolai Kulemin a fair contract. Someone posted the stats earlier, but Kulemin is 2nd among forwards in SHTOI/G (behind Jay McClement) yet McClement has allowed 30 SHG, while Kulemin's totals were in the teens. Not only is Kulemin one of our top PKers, he is our top all-around forward. I would sign him and play him with Lupul-Kadri when we're healthy.

2. Play David Clarkson alongside Dave Bolland and see where they take us. They looked good in the few games they played together and play a similar game. If they can be a true third line -- physical, provide energy and maintain possession in the offensive zone for most of their shifts, I think we've got a winning line to work with.

3. Trade Cody Franson + promising prospect or pick for Dan Girardi. (or at least try). Not only do I think Girardi would compliment our defense core perfectly this season, but it would give us the leg up on signing him as a UFA. Franson, a 6'5 26 year old PP stalwart, on pace for ~40pts and ~300hits must hold some considerable value around the league. We ***** and we moan about his defensive shortcomings but when he's on his game he is a truly promising player. There is the very high chance a GM or coach might see his brimming potential and take a flyer. If we can't swap him for Girardi, who the New York Rangers are having difficulty negotiating with, then we should try to swap Franson for something. He's a decent defenseman but we aren't in need of offensive prowess, we need a defensive guy more than anything.

4. Mason Raymond is this year's Clarke MacArthur. A decent player and producer but he iust contributes so little to the game other than his inconsistent scoring that we may have better internal options. MacArthur was scratched in the playoffs, and we lost him for nothing in the offseason. When we're completely healthy I think we'd benefit from Peter Holland's size, strength and potential either on the wing or at center on the 3rd line with Clarkson-Bolland moreso than Raymond.

5. Roll with a 4th line of: D'Amigo-McClement-Brodie/Ashton/McLaren. Colton Orr is about as good as done in the NHL.. And we have some young players who look to be great bottom 6 players so why not utilize them and become a real 4 line team! On that note, I'd offer McClement the same contract with a longer term but same cap hit going forward. 3 years, 4.5M would be fair. He's a good PKer but his allure has worn off a bit compared to last season. He's an important veteran on our team and one of our only true defensive forwards. He wants to play for Toronto and I think he'd re-sign with us.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree except with Paul ranger- I just don't like this guy at all. BUT, if it keeps one of the goons out i wouldn't mind him as the 7th D

i agree but next season i would rather play one of macwilliam/percy/granberg then ranger and save some $$ on the cap hit

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The thing about our 4th line with Orr/Mclaren in them is that Carlyle doesn't trust them enough in the playoffs to give them regular time, its better to roll with a dependable 4th line so when its playoffs there aren't panties flying everywhere talking about how Ashton and D'amigo are going to play in their first playoffs. If there needs to be a fight, we got Gleason and Clarkson that can throw fists.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
McLaren won't get waived. He is very close with guys like Kessel/Bozak/Kadri and the obvious future replacement for Orr. The only situation where he'd be waived is if Carlyle gets fired.

Also the Leafs were pretty much playing 7D because of injuries... can't see them going back to that after the break.

Ace88*

Sign Kulemin, ditch McLaren, let Ranger go unless he wants to sign for under $1 mil, sign Bolland, ditch Franson, if there's a deal for Reimer that makes us better do it, play Bodie and D'Amigo on the 4th line with McClement, hang on to Raymond as he has a tendency to score clutch goals, and lastly, get Carter Ashton a new face because the one he has now is just begging to be punched way too much.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If another team sees something they like in Holland, I would trade a package including any of Franson/Raymond/Holland for a #2RW that plays a decently tough game... actually a guy with a similar game to Clarkson. He might not be having a good year, but his style would make this line-up very good IMO (obviously I want a guy that's a better goalscorer than this-year Clarkson and passes a bit though).

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXX
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
D'amigo - McClement - Bodie/Ashton

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Percy/Granberg (Call up whichever DFD has looked best in the marlies or even Brennan)
Ranger

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
It blows my mind that so little of you guys see Holland's potential. We must find a spot for him in the line up.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
It blows my mind that so little of you guys see Holland's potential. We must find a spot for him in the line up.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Holland
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
D'amigo/Komarov* - McClement - Bodie/Ashton

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Percy/Granberg (Call up whichever DFD has looked best in the marlies or even Brennan)
Ranger
*If possible

That would be my ideal line-up.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I think most see his potential but it's a tad early to be giving him a spot on the second line. Not saying he couldn't play there though

We have too many bodies though and need an upgrade on D, so something will gave at the end of the year. Actually, something will have to give ( a little anyway) when Bolland returns

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i think holland takes over for raymond at wing next season or possibly bolland at center if we cant get him extended. point being is i would be shocked if he doesnt play in the nhl next season. he is obviously ready.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
If Bolland wants 4.0m or higher next season, I'm perfectly happy to say bye bye and promote Holland into that 3rd line role. Hopefully saying no to Bolland will also allow for money to be spent on getting Komarov and Kulemin back in the fold.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
I can't wait for devane to make the jump. An enforcer who can play a semi regular shift would be great. I hope he's ready next year. In the mean time only one of Orr / mclaren should dress

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Holland's potential doesn't weigh more than Raymond's production.

Where does Holland fit in if not there? Maybe next season if Raymond wants too much money but there are a ton of guys that also have "huge potential" waiting for a shot at that spot on the roster.

As Leaf fans we've spent the last decade watching a team get rebuilt and knew full well that the vets like Ponikarovsky, Stajan, Wellwood, etc. would be replaced the second a prospect looked even remotely close to ready.

But now we have a roster that's more or less set, and a lot more prospects ready, but nowhere to put them.

People need to just adjust their expectations. It's more about recycling assets effectively at this point. If Holland isn't CLEARLY good enough to calim a roster spot, then it's on Nonis to find a team that wants him and get some draft picks that will keep the pipes full of prospects, and that means that when we DO need a call-up to take on a full-time role, we have a good pick of prospects to choose from.

But no more of this, a prospect is looking ready let's just toss him in, trade Kulemin to get a spot open...

Yeesh...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Holland is gonna resign for around 1.5m guys, definitely replacing raymond next here who wont deserve the 2.5m+ that he'll want.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
If Bolland wants 4.0m or higher next season, I'm perfectly happy to say bye bye and promote Holland into that 3rd line role. Hopefully saying no to Bolland will also allow for money to be spent on getting Komarov and Kulemin back in the fold.

i hate the idea of losing bolland, but in a practical sense, if bolland has a tendency to get injured, then we don't need another lupulitis on the team. also, holland is both responsible and a rapid learner. he would do great on line 3.

i would rather have holland-kulie rather than bolland without kulie.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
McLaren won't get waived. He is very close with guys like Kessel/Bozak/Kadri and the obvious future replacement for Orr. The only situation where he'd be waived is if Carlyle gets fired.

Also the Leafs were pretty much playing 7D because of injuries... can't see them going back to that after the break.

For me id take Orr over McLaren. Last year McLaren was probably better because he showed some offensive skill, but this year he has been useless.

Orr obviously doesnt have much ability, but one thing I will really give him credit for is working on skating so he can make some hits, and secondly for working on getting pucks out of our end and being able to get pucks deep in the other end.

As the OP mentioned, other teams arent engaging us physically anymore, and part of that is because of Orr. Whether he plays or not, he is a deterrent from our team getting pushed around. Don Cherry logic actually proving to be right.

Orr can be one of our extra forwards who can slot in occasionally

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
1. Offer Nikolai Kulemin a fair contract. Someone posted the stats earlier, but Kulemin is 2nd among forwards in SHTOI/G (behind Jay McClement) yet McClement has allowed 30 SHG, while Kulemin's totals were in the teens. Not only is Kulemin one of our top PKers, he is our top all-around forward. I would sign him and play him with Lupul-Kadri when we're healthy.

2. Play David Clarkson alongside Dave Bolland and see where they take us. They looked good in the few games they played together and play a similar game. If they can be a true third line -- physical, provide energy and maintain possession in the offensive zone for most of their shifts, I think we've got a winning line to work with.

3. Trade Cody Franson + promising prospect or pick for Dan Girardi. (or at least try). Not only do I think Girardi would compliment our defense core perfectly this season, but it would give us the leg up on signing him as a UFA. Franson, a 6'5 26 year old PP stalwart, on pace for ~40pts and ~300hits must hold some considerable value around the league. We ***** and we moan about his defensive shortcomings but when he's on his game he is a truly promising player. There is the very high chance a GM or coach might see his brimming potential and take a flyer. If we can't swap him for Girardi, who the New York Rangers are having difficulty negotiating with, then we should try to swap Franson for something. He's a decent defenseman but we aren't in need of offensive prowess, we need a defensive guy more than anything.

4. Mason Raymond is this year's Clarke MacArthur. A decent player and producer but he iust contributes so little to the game other than his inconsistent scoring that we may have better internal options. MacArthur was scratched in the playoffs, and we lost him for nothing in the offseason. When we're completely healthy I think we'd benefit from Peter Holland's size, strength and potential either on the wing or at center on the 3rd line with Clarkson-Bolland moreso than Raymond.

5. Roll with a 4th line of: D'Amigo-McClement-Brodie/Ashton/McLaren. Colton Orr is about as good as done in the NHL.. And we have some young players who look to be great bottom 6 players so why not utilize them and become a real 4 line team! On that note, I'd offer McClement the same contract with a longer term but same cap hit going forward. 3 years, 4.5M would be fair. He's a good PKer but his allure has worn off a bit compared to last season. He's an important veteran on our team and one of our only true defensive forwards. He wants to play for Toronto and I think he'd re-sign with us.

I like and agree with pretty much all of this .. Well said

LeafsFIO*

When Kulemin leaves for the KHL trade Gunnarsson for Trevor Daley. No Euros

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Holland's potential doesn't weigh more than Raymond's production.

Where does Holland fit in if not there? Maybe next season if Raymond wants too much money but there are a ton of guys that also have "huge potential" waiting for a shot at that spot on the roster.

As Leaf fans we've spent the last decade watching a team get rebuilt and knew full well that the vets like Ponikarovsky, Stajan, Wellwood, etc. would be replaced the second a prospect looked even remotely close to ready.

But now we have a roster that's more or less set, and a lot more prospects ready, but nowhere to put them.

People need to just adjust their expectations. It's more about recycling assets effectively at this point. If Holland isn't CLEARLY good enough to calim a roster spot, then it's on Nonis to find a team that wants him and get some draft picks that will keep the pipes full of prospects, and that means that when we DO need a call-up to take on a full-time role, we have a good pick of prospects to choose from.

But no more of this, a prospect is looking ready let's just toss him in, trade Kulemin to get a spot open...

Yeesh...

What point is there in recycling Holland as an asset? He's a nice piece to have for some center depth, play him on the wing and he can move to center if we have injuries again. The guy is still a young player and a prospect. What's the point in trading him for a pick that likely won't be as good or have enough potential as him? Plus we just open up the same issue we had before of having no one to fill in for injuries at the middle spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad