GBU #5 Sabres-Caps: Concepts and Principles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
There's no flow to the Sabres play. They're almost always reacting to the play instead of carrying it.
It's a sure sign the system is too complex for players to do things instinctively. Instead they're out there thinking, "what should I do?" and that reduces their pace to Brad Brown level.

At least we aren't talking in units of An_y _elm_res or Jran Lepls

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Good: thought 5 D played well :Sheahan Lazar Reider Eakins Cozens Oloffson played well Bad:Dahlin is a mess Krueger . Eichel Hall Skinner can't score to save their life Ugly: Not beating an extremely undermanned Caps team,season slipping away quickly Krueger

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Don’t care what anyone says, they’ve only played against the flyers and caps, two division favourites. Yes the caps were short handed tonight but they are a deep team and always have been look at the score sheet. Those are good players chipping in, and besides some teams, particularly championship teams play well through adversity/anger, and Buffalo shot wise, goal wise, stuck with them the whole way. That new goalie they have is pretty decent too. I get the frustrations from the fanbAse though. I just want to wait a bit before I jump the gun. Sort of like when we had hot starts, maybe this will be a reversal.

I mean when you consider that Buffalo hasn’t played in over 300 days they come in with new faces and no pre season and play against two top teams and come out 1-3-1 which sucks but they were in every single game until the final minute and only played one truly bad game which was the first and even then it was 5-4 until the empty netter. 3-0 game two empty netters. The one win was a excellent one.

they got some games against the devils and rangers and they need to make it up there if their going to have any chance this year.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I'm so f***ing over these empty moral words, win or f*** off. My distance with this team grows.

I get the frustration, no problem am everyone has a right to feel how they feel, especially our beyond tired fanbAse. But read what I said above and maybe you’ll see that I mean there are positives. If we don’t win vs the devils and ranger will be with you though on this train no matter how close those games are....

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I've seen zero reason so far not to think this is the same bad team we've had for the last 6 years.

One day we'll luck into good management again like the Bills. Just don't know when that will be. Maybe 15 more years, going by experience.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
The Bills didn't just need new coaching, but they also realized they needed new players. Year 4 there is only 1 or 2 players left from the losing years. We actually can put together competative quality forward lines right now, but we have one of the worst defense and goalie combinations in the league and have for some time. And NONE of it changed this offseason. Why are 3rd pairing role players like McCabe and Risto still on this team? How did you go into the season again with Carter Hutton? Ulmark is a 1B who is going to want more money than he is worth soon. This is madness.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I get the frustration, no problem am everyone has a right to feel how they feel, especially our beyond tired fanbAse. But read what I said above and maybe you’ll see that I mean there are positives. If we don’t win vs the devils and ranger will be with you though on this train no matter how close those games are....
I just can't. Caps have just as bad or possibly worse goaltending than us and we score 4 and still lose. The rangers and devils scare me more as they have more team speed. I hate the 300 day excuse, they are professional athletes, other players are not looking as rusty... I'm just over them right now.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
G: They have a fast skilled team
B: It's built to play for Housley
U: Krueger needs a team built for Bylsma

4uy3yz.jpg

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I just can't. Caps have just as bad or possibly worse goaltending than us and we score 4 and still lose. The rangers and devils scare me more as they have more team speed. I hate the 300 day excuse, they are professional athletes, other players are not looking as rusty... I'm just over them right now.

The 300 day excuse matters when the teams they played against didn’t have that excuse as they made the playoffs and it’s also the no pre season and adapting to not only new faces... but no fans, you talk about them being athletes well that’s foreign to them and takes time even biron said that, he would know ....it’s a process and even still the sabres have been in every game. It’s also not an excuse when we’ve only played favourites. The devils and rangers can be wildcards sure and yeah but we’ve got to win against somebody, that’s why I’ll be with you if they don’t beat them. I like this roster more then I have any sabres roster in probably a decade. The division it’s screwing us right now, this team even playing like it has could easily be 3-2 or even 3-1-1 right now , or at least 2-2-1 but sit 1-3-1, honestly I’d rather have this record and the guys at the stage of careers they’re in now waiting to break out like our elite guys with the additions, then to have our great starts last year and not have hall, staal, Eakin and sophomores in ullmark and dahlin.

Also caps goaltending isn’t bad at all IMO

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The issue costing us games is our top offensive players aren’t scoring at 5v5 right now.

Our top 6 regulars (Hall/Jack/Sam/VO/Staal) only have 2 goals 5v5 in five games. Thats without getting into the ton of chances Skinner has had and couldn’t finish.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The 300 day excuse matters when the teams they played against didn’t have that excuse as they made the playoffs and it’s also the no pre season and adapting to not only new faces... but no fans, you talk about them being athletes well that’s foreign to them and takes time even biron said that, he would know ....it’s a process and even still the sabres have been in every game. It’s also not an excuse when we’ve only played favourites. The devils and rangers can be wildcards sure and yeah but we’ve got to win against somebody, that’s why I’ll be with you if they don’t beat them. I like this roster more then I have any sabres roster in probably a decade. The division it’s screwing us right now, this team even playing like it has could easily be 3-2 or even 3-1-1 right now , or at least 2-2-1 but sit 1-3-1, honestly I’d rather have this record and the guys at the stage of careers they’re in now waiting to break out like our elite guys with the additions, then to have our great starts last year and not have hall, staal, Eakin and sophomores in ullmark and dahlin.

Also caps goaltending isn’t bad at all IMO
Why does every other team that didn't make the playoffs have a better record than the Sabres? Why is it that the only team with as bad a record as the Sabres one that did make the playoffs?

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I tried my best to avoid the team last year. Hall & Stall gave me some hope. So I’ve watched the games so far but it’s the exact same team as it’s always been.

My friend is a Ducks fan so I watch them more then most teams. I can stomach their games, they are shit but they have an identity. They are very tough to play against. It’s gonna be a grind it out type game but they have the D and Goalie to keep them in it. They’re games are good because you know what to expect. They fight hard and compete every night. They also draft and develop their players very well.

With the Sabres, as much as I love them, there is no identity. It’s pure hope every game and hope ain’t enough. I can’t go into any game expecting they are going to be good at something. Are they good Offensively? No Defensively? No Goaltending? No Development? No Drafting? No.

I would love to see a plan for the team other than hire/fire, overpay/one year sign etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad