5 on 3 in OT with a pulled goalie.

AlwaysARanger

Schwing!
Aug 6, 2007
Oslo
Say you have a PP in OT in the NHL (reg.season). Would you sometimes pull your goalie and play 5 on 3?

1. you score the goal and get away with 2 points.

2. you dont score, but very likely get another shot at the extra point in the shootout.

3. you give up a goal with the two man advantage and lose the extra point.

I think more often than not, it will pay of pulling your goalie in that situation. I think the sum of points gained through 1. and 2. combined is a lot greater than points lost in 3.

What is the percentages? Its very rare we see those plays, why?

gluvhand

Jul 30, 2009
Rockland County
Cool question but I think the answer is as simple as this... Play to hold on through O/T and get to the shoot-out. A coach would get crucified for playing with an empty net in O/T and potentially losing out on the second point.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
Wouldn't happen. The team on the pk only has to keep firing the puck down the ice. The don't get icing called on them. To risky when you can try to score or tale it to ot.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
The defending team can just keep trying to blast a 200-footer at the empty net because they don't have to worry about icing the puck.

Pretty risky strategy, and I can't really see a scenario where it would ever make sense in OT. I can understand maybe if it's at the end of regulation and the game is tied, and you need to not only beat the other team, but also keep them from getting any points in the standings. In that case it's sort of an all-or-nothing gamble and can be used as a risky desperation tactic at the end of the 3rd, but it doesn't make sense in OT as far as I can tell.

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
If you pull your goalie in OT and lose, you don't just lose the extra point, you don't get any points:

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team. Should the goalkeeper proceed to his bench for an extra attacker due to a delayed penalty call against the opposing team, and should the non-offending team shoot the puck directly into their own goal, the game shall be over and the team that was to be penalized declared the winner.
Once the goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker in overtime during the regular-season, he must wait for the next stoppage of play before returning to his position. He cannot change “on the fly.†If he does, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed for having an ineligible player.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Wouldn't happen. The team on the pk only has to keep firing the puck down the ice. The don't get icing called on them. To risky when you can try to score or tale it to ot.

It's not a PK just because the other team pulls their goalie. If both teams have an even number of players on the ice and one team is just opting for an extra skater instead of a goalie, icing is still in effect.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
It's not a PK just because the other team pulls their goalie. If both teams have an even number of players on the ice and one team is just opting for an extra skater instead of a goalie, icing is still in effect.

The hypothetical situation suggested by the OP has a team on a 4-on-3 PP in OT pulling their goalie to make it a 5-on-3 PP, so there would be no icing.

Barzallelujah

Dec 27, 2006
If there's less than 30 seconds left, I'd see it as a risk worth taking. Anything more, you're allowing free shots for an "I win" situation.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
As an Oilers fan, absolutely not. Our 5-3 has got to be the most pathetic, stagnant, castrated powerplay in the history of professional hockey.

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
The OP already mentioned that you lose the point so he's considered that scenario. This would happen near the end of the regular season when it's do or die for a team.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Yeah, I was curious about that too, actually. I'm gonna play the odds and guess that it had something to do with Roger Neilson? Anybody know?

Yes, Roger Neilson raised this point and asked "well if they're guaranteed a point, won't teams just pull their goalie in OT?" So they instituted this rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad