Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Still too early to judge. But we're still without a pure goal scorer of Zadina's type and upside on either our roster or in the pipeline. And that's pretty much been a problem ever since Keith Tkachuk left the desert.

Not to dismiss Hayton's strong D+1 year, but Zadina had a solid rookie season in Grand Rapids, and will still likely make more of an immediate impact for the Wings than Hayton will for us.

Zadina’s 8 game tryout run with the Wings right after the TDL ended up 1-1-2 with 15 SOG and a -5.

Not exactly setting the world on fire.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No one was comparing Zadina, who has first line upside, to a generational talent like McDavid, nor was anyone ever claiming he would ever make the same impact right out of the gate.

I dunno... back at the draft last year everyone seemed to feel he would have made an immediate impact here had Chayka gone with him over Hayton.

The consensus projected around here always seems to be that these kids with “elite” talent will hit the ground running..... and when they don’t it ends up being “he’s on a rebuilding team” or “they stuck him with bad line mates” etc etc....

I used McDavid because he’s has literally dragged Edmonton’s ass behind him all over the ice since he got there and can still put up the numbers in spite of the rest of that team (outside of Draisaitl).

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I dunno... back at the draft last year everyone seemed to feel he would have made an immediate impact here had Chayka gone with him over Hayton.

The consensus projected around here always seems to be that these kids with “elite” talent will hit the ground running..... and when they don’t it ends up being “he’s on a rebuilding team” or “they stuck him with bad line mates” etc etc....

I used McDavid because he’s has literally dragged Edmonton’s ass behind him all over the ice since he got there and can still put up the numbers in spite of the rest of that team (outside of Draisaitl).

I don't post here as often as I used to, but I've posted here long enough to know that although many of us here have our strong opinions of certain prospects, we also generally make pretty reasonable projections of what these guys could accomplish in their first year if they make the leap immediately to the NHL. Hockey remains a team sport, after all.

McDavid and Crosby are literally like the only two prospects in this century that completely blew the doors off the league immediately, but even their generational talent-ness had limitations.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I had Hayton at 9 I believe, never expected him to get selected at 5. I also never expected Zadina to get past 3, much less 4. That was a weird draft all in all but I was never bothered by the Hayton selection and have never felt like we made a mistake. He's a great prospect, maybe not exciting but the tools are there to potentially have a long and successful NHL career.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Similarly, I had Hayton around 10.

I do remember saying that there were 4 players whom I thought would outplay their draft position and Hayton was one of them. This was in the last few days leading up to the draft and rewatching some video of players and I continually saw him being in the right place and finding the puck so easily, relative to his peers. He just seemed to be able to know where to be and what to do an uncanny number of times and that isnt natural. More so, because of how well he played on the defensive end. That is something that rarely happens for an 18 year old or overager, let alone a 17 year old.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Now that we're basically one year in, just curious what everyone's thoughts are on Hayton?

Happy with the pick? Or would you rather a redo?

I know at the time, a lot of people liked Zadina, myself included, but I don't think I would make that trade today. I wanted Hughes, who went with the next pick, and today I'd trade Hayton for Hughes, though that leaves us basically gambling on Dvorak to become a 1C.

What made me bump this thread was Noah Dobson. He had a helluva Memorial Cup. He was solid across the board last year but took a quantum leap this season where he is now dominant. Plus he's an RD. He went to 12th to NYI. I'm not sure I'd have reached on Dobson at 5, but it's an interesting consideration.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Now that we're basically one year in, just curious what everyone's thoughts are on Hayton?

Happy with the pick? Or would you rather a redo?

I know at the time, a lot of people liked Zadina, myself included, but I don't think I would make that trade today. I wanted Hughes, who went with the next pick, and today I'd trade Hayton for Hughes, though that leaves us basically gambling on Dvorak to become a 1C.

What made me bump this thread was Noah Dobson. He had a helluva Memorial Cup. He was solid across the board last year but took a quantum leap this season where he is now dominant. Plus he's an RD. He went to 12th to NYI. I'm not sure I'd have reached on Dobson at 5, but it's an interesting consideration.
I had high expectations on Hayton this season and he did better than the targets I had set. I’m not going to trash the selection. I’m still not sold he’s a 1C but I think he will be a very good 2C.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm penciling him in as 4C next year.

This is incumbent on Richardson moving over to the wing. I don't like playing rookie centers at wing, and Richie can still take the key draws.

Keller - Schamltz - ?????
Gally - Dvorak - Hinostroza
Crouse - Stepan - Garland
Richie - Hayton - Grabner
Cousins

Now to just fill in that top line hole...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm penciling him in as 4C next year.

This is incumbent on Richardson moving over to the wing. I don't like playing rookie centers at wing, and Richie can still take the key draws.

Keller - Schamltz - ?????
Gally - Dvorak - Hinostroza
Crouse - Stepan - Garland
Richie - Hayton - Grabner
Cousins

Now to just fill in that top line hole...

That looks pretty damn good. Let's some of the more experienced kids move up a line while still giving Hayton solid linemates. We really have deep forward depth, all top 9- top 6 guys, no true 4th liners outside of Cousins. Just don't have that top line talent yet. Just top 3 tweeners like Keller, Schmaltz and Gally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad