Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think a lot of people are sleeping on his abilities to be in the proper places consistently. That alone puts him in line to get some playing time toward the start of the year. I think people will wind up being surprised at how much he brings to the table.

The only game plan that I would have for him is to get his quickness together in the first and second step. He skates well and while he is not going to blow by people, he also won't be a liability. But making sure his footspeed is up to par is probably the biggest thing to improve his game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That alone puts him in line to get some playing time toward the start of the year.

Can always do 9 and decide I suppose.
But I'd hope if they do that it's consistent games and not whatever the hell it was they tried with Strome two years ago :laugh:

Horvat plays a similarish two way game and he didn't log a ton of minutes his first season. It's not unprecedented that it can work we just always seem to try the most unconventional methods possible :biglaugh:

Reactions: Yandover and _Del_

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Can always do 9 and decide I suppose.
But I'd hope if they do that it's consistent games and not whatever the hell it was they tried with Strome two years ago :laugh:
Strome wasn't a Chayka pick. Hayton will have completely different circumstances. Thankfully we got Schmaltz in return because Dylan Strome wasn't a part of the picture since GMJC and Tocchet arrived. One would have to be Helen Keller to not notice that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Strome wasn't a Chayka pick. Hayton will have completely different circumstances. Thankfully we got Schmaltz in return because Dylan Strome wasn't a part of the picture since GMJC and Tocchet arrived. One would have to be Helen Keller to not notice that.

I'm talking about the thing they did under Tippett where Strome played like once every 3 games before getting sent back to juniors before 9 games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I loved Freddie, but I never expected much more than what he was. He was like Rieder. Didn't have the hands, but his skating and IQ made him more valuable than his numbers. Until the skating starts to slip.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
So he finished his season with 66 points in 39 GP for 1.7 ppg.

He finished his playoffs last night with 16 points in 11 games (eliminated in a shutout performance by none other than Ivan Prosvetov) with 1.5ppg

I know when we made this pick everybody said he needed to finish well above a point-per-game this season, and maybe had he been healthy and available the entire year he could have been closer to 2 ppg. After this season I am much more comfortable with this pick

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you combine his regular season and playoff production you get 1.64ppg. If you multiple that by his GP last season (63) his production is up from 60pts to 103pt(pace). Decent jump. :)

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Hayton was a surprise selection at 5 but I liked the pick then and I like it even more now that he has given some validity to it. I still believe he's going to take 2-3 years before he's considered a top 6 NHL center, not unlike Strome, the difference will be his ability to play in the bottom 6 and be effective. I'm hoping for a slightly better and more durable Mikko Koivu. Mikko has been a warrior and I'd welcome a player like that every day on our roster.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If you watch the Chicago story about there draft selection, you can see the piece of paper where they have their draft order and the names that have selected have been highlighted yellow. Now, Chicago was picking 8th, so 7 kids were selected before them and on their list, the top 6 were highlighted and then (from the fuzzy stoppage of the video) skip either 1 or 2 names (it may just be 1 name and not 2) and then another highlighted yellow...so according to their list 7 of their top 9 were picked before they got to pick.

What it doesn't show you is which one Hayton is. All you can discern from watching is that Hayton was in their top 9. But you can see that Boqvist who they wanted was not one of their top 6 picks, because the top 6 guys were already highlighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: ck26 and PuckLife

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm still butt hurt about Zadina, but less butt hurt then i was on draft day

Strome's trade really shifted my brain gears on this draft pick significantly. I loved Zadina's attitude and potential at the Draft, but now that we're hurting for center depth, Hayton's looking like a white knight on a charger right now.

Reactions: RABBIT

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Strome's trade really shifted my brain gears on this draft pick significantly. I loved Zadina's attitude and potential at the Draft, but now that we're hurting for center depth, Hayton's looking like a white knight on a charger right now.

Self afflicted need though. I'm coming around to the pick too. Really hoping he can be a 1C like ROR rather than Stepan. Kivou is a nice in between.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So who wants Zadina over Hayton now? No disrespect for Zadina as he had decent numbers in Grand Rapids, (35 pts in 59 games) but I think I'll take Hayton and keep my mouth shut when Chayka picks #14.

Maybe.

Still too early to judge. But we're still without a pure goal scorer of Zadina's type and upside on either our roster or in the pipeline. And that's pretty much been a problem ever since Keith Tkachuk left the desert.

Not to dismiss Hayton's strong D+1 year, but Zadina had a solid rookie season in Grand Rapids, and will still likely make more of an immediate impact for the Wings than Hayton will for us.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Still too early to judge. But we're still without a pure goal scorer of Zadina's type and upside on either our roster or in the pipeline. And that's pretty much been a problem ever since Keith Tkachuk left the desert.

Not to dismiss Hayton's strong D+1 year, but Zadina had a solid rookie season in Grand Rapids, and will still likely make more of an immediate impact for the Wings than Hayton will for us.
Conversely, if they drafted Zadina there would be no hope of a 1C in the future. Chayka clearly values C more than W so you can see why the pick was made, even if Hayton only has a slim chance of turning into a 1C. Either way, I now consider them both on the same tier at this point.

I know nothing about NHL contracts, but do the Coyotes have any benefit of having Hayton in junior as opposed to the Wings playing Zadina in the AHL?

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad