Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So is Hayton a Coyote next year?
What I saw at the WJC suggested to me that he’s not ready and needs more time. The fact that he’s not AHL eligible made me think he’d be back in the OHL. He’s crushing that league now, so I’m not sure if there’s a lot of benefit to sending him back to it. Tucson seems like the perfect option but it’s not available to us.

My personal preference would be to send him back to the OHL. I can’t predict what will happen though.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His play will dictate where he goes, but I expect him to make the team. Didn't Chayka say something to the effect that if he never had his injury during training camp he had a good chance to make the team?

Reactions: PuckLife

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Who cares about the WJC. It was a small window.

In today's NHL young guys can play. If he's mature and ready he should play here next season.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
he plays a mature game, so I'd expect him to make it. I don't think he'll get anything more than 14min/gm, but with our team, it's basically three 3rd lines, so everyone gets about that much.

rt

May 13, 2004
I said based on what I saw at the WJC. Not because it’s the best sample but because it’s my only sample. Which is obviously too small. Hopefully the Hounds make the MemCup and we can all get another look.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What I saw at the WJC suggested to me that he’s not ready and needs more time. The fact that he’s not AHL eligible made me think he’d be back in the OHL. He’s crushing that league now, so I’m not sure if there’s a lot of benefit to sending him back to it. Tucson seems like the perfect option but it’s not available to us. My personal preference would be to send him back to the OHL. I can’t predict what will happen though.

Seems like just yesterday we were having this same discussion about a certain someone, that we took in the first round. The situation STINKS.

I said based on what I saw at the WJC. Not because it’s the best sample but because it’s my only sample. Which is obviously too small. Hopefully the Hounds make the MemCup and we can all get another look.

Your input is solid and always welcome.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Minimum he gets 9 games. He’s got a strong enough 2 way game that I think he can make the jump. Putting up 1.7-2 ppg against predominantly 16/17 year olds doesn’t help him (it also doesn’t hurt his development).

I’m open to Nattie Hattie podcast idea of sending him to europe.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

May 13, 2004
Minimum he gets 9 games. He’s got a strong enough 2 way game that I think he can make the jump. Putting up 1.7-2 ppg against predominantly 16/17 year olds doesn’t help him (it also doesn’t hurt his development).

I’m open to Nattie Hattie podcast idea of sending him to europe.
I think developing his offensive game in the OHL does help him. And not to pick nits but the OHL isn’t predominantly 16/17 year olds. There are only 130 guys in the entire league under 18 with more than 30gp. So about six guys per team. There’s certainly more 18/19 year olds. Not that it really matter to your point. Just a random tangent.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What I saw at the WJC suggested to me that he’s not ready and needs more time. The fact that he’s not AHL eligible made me think he’d be back in the OHL. He’s crushing that league now, so I’m not sure if there’s a lot of benefit to sending him back to it. Tucson seems like the perfect option but it’s not available to us.

My personal preference would be to send him back to the OHL. I can’t predict what will happen though.
Europe for a year? The need to work on footspeed and to learn to handle space might be very good for him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think developing his offensive game in the OHL does help him. And not to pick nits but the OHL isn’t predominantly 16/17 year olds. There are only 130 guys in the entire league under 18 with more than 30gp. So about six guys per team. There’s certainly more 18/19 year olds. Not that it really matter to your point. Just a random tangent.
He's already a 1.6 ppg player. I just don't think he has much to prove at that level as he already has a complete 200 foot game. I'd rather see him play against men while being forced to improve speed. He's not going to get that in the CHL. There's no downside of course. I'd just rather see him take a full step forward in his development than go from a 1.6 ppg player to a 1.8 ppg player.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think Europe is a great idea and I wish NHL teams would support that option. I think they might be reluctant to send a player so far away from their control.

The language and culture could be an unnecessary hurdle too.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He's already a 1.6 ppg player. I just don't think he has much to prove at that level as he already has a complete 200 foot game. I'd rather see him play against men while being forced to improve speed. He's not going to get that in the CHL. There's no downside of course. I'd just rather see him take a full step forward in his development than go from a 1.6 ppg player to a 1.8 ppg player.

My personal opinion is that if we can't or won't loan him to Europe, keep him with the Coyotes all year. He's not going to be a Calder candidate, but his type of game isn't going to get any better playing at the CHL level. I think, based on my very small sample size of knowledge about Hayton, that he might actually learn more from the press box in the NHL than from ice time in the CHL.

Reactions: ck26

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
There is a 0% chance a kid from Ontario goes to Europe. I think he makes the team next, hopefully through his play and not Chayka looking to justify his draft postion and/or Strome trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad