Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He should be the head honcho in Sault Ste Marie next year.

With Schmaltz, Dvorak, Stepan and Richardson we don't need to hurry him along.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He won’t be eligible for the AHL next season. I don’t think he’s going to be NHL ready, either. I think he’ll go back to the OHL next season.

Seems there is a gap at this point in the development path for Canadian kids. Ideally Hayton would play against men for a year here. The OHL will be good for his offensive development but not so much for his physical adaptation to playing against grownups. Looking at Strome (hah!) I dont want too see Hayton anywhere near a RT team until he is more than NHL ready. I don't trust RT to develop talent.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He won’t be eligible for the AHL next season. I don’t think he’s going to be NHL ready, either. I think he’ll go back to the OHL next season.
You seem to think the org has had better luck developing patience (or anything else) than I do.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think Hayton will be negatively impacted if he has to play another year in the OHL.
I was worried about this for a few other prospects over the recent years but I don't think Hayton will have a tough pro-adjustment.

He'll be like Dvorak in that when he's ready to play he'll be on the NHL team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'd bet he gets his 9 games or less in the NHL next year.

I will bet that he may play more than 20 games in the NHL next year. Call it a feeling, but when you position yourself as well as he does and is always on the proper side of the puck, that is one of that last bits of development that takes some draftees longer to understand. If he is already ahead of the curve there, he will see time sooner rather than later.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I will bet that he may play more than 20 games in the NHL next year. Call it a feeling, but when you position yourself as well as he does and is always on the proper side of the puck, that is one of that last bits of development that takes some draftees longer to understand. If he is already ahead of the curve there, he will see time sooner rather than later.
20 games just blows a year of ELC. It’ll be the full season or the 10 game trial.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
He should be ahead. Frost is more flashy but Hayton has been the better player this year.
Disagree. Frost has been the better offensive player, and better offensive producer. Both in the season, and in the WJC. Yes Hayton is the better 2 wayplayer, but that doesn’t give him the better “player” status. Frost has been better. This doesn’t concern me much though considering Frost is in his second year after being drafted.

Reactions: Yandover

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Disagree. Frost has been the better offensive player, and better offensive producer. Both in the season, and in the WJC. Yes Hayton is the better 2 wayplayer, but that doesn’t give him the better “player” status. Frost has been better. This doesn’t concern me much though considering Frost is in his second year after being drafted.
I’d argue that Haytons all around game has been more instrumental in SSM’s success. Frost is better offensively though as he should be being a year older.

Reactions: PuckLife

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’d argue that Haytons all around game has been more instrumental in SSM’s success. Frost is better offensively though as he should be being a year older.
I agree, somewhat. Frost has definitely been the better player this year. If you would’ve said that Hayton projects to be the better NHL player because of his two way/all around play I would agree with you. But when you say he’s “been the better player this year” I have to disagree. Frost has been skating circles around the defense and lighting up the scoreboard. I hope to god Hayton can replicate Frosts year this year in his D+2 year.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I agree, somewhat. Frost has definitely been the better player this year. If you would’ve said that Hayton projects to be the better NHL player because of his two way/all around play I would agree with you. But when you say he’s “been the better player this year” I have to disagree. Frost has been skating circles around the defense and lighting up the scoreboard. I hope to god Hayton can replicate Frosts year this year in his D+2 year.
Both great players, we are lucky to have them in the Soo. I hate to put one in front of the other, but think Hayton’s the better player this year, and arguably last year in the playoffs. Frost is dynamic and fun to watch, but in the tough games he sometimes disappears. Hayton is the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->