Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That SN video lauding his FO ability made me go take a look. Seems average. Maybe he's clutch on FOs?

Not at all from the shift by shifts I've watched. Was a little surprised myself to find he was roughly 50% on the dot. Not a physically weak player either so there's no real built in excuse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What is the point of this post? Do you believe management did not actually believe Hayton should be taken at #5? They're just talking him up for the feel goods, but secretly don't believe in their methodology? That they were disappointed he was the best they could do?
Or are you just being an argumentative git?
I have no idea what you are talking about. Teams are not going to throw players under the bus after selecting them. Listen to the Coyotes videos. They are gushing over all their picks. Some won't see a single game in the NHL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What does that possibly have to do with the point of his post?

You know what, nevermind. You just do you.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I didn't really focus on forwards this year at all...I focused on defensemen...but sometimes you just can't help but notice a player, sometimes they just jump off the page...and Hayton does that for me. Not from a flash standpoint. There's more talented players out there. No question. There's a higher-end, higher ceiling guys. But he was playing second fiddle to the best playmaking center in the OHL in Morgan Frost and if somehow Frost makes the Flyers (not likely at all), well, I'd get Barrett Hayton on your OHL fantasy team because he might pop a hundo. He's smart, he's tenacious, he's a goal-line to goal-line player, he works his bag off...and he has really gotten noticeably better as the season has gone on...

I think he might be a little more refined in terms of 1-on-1 ability and hands in tight than Bo Horvat at the same age, so I'm inclined to believe he has a little more to give in terms of production down the road than him too. I really don't believe this is a "safe" pick in the sense where it's like "all right, he's gonna play in the show...but it's just gonna be, ya know, another Juha Ylonen..." - like I said, I haven't been focused on him, but he seems like a player to me. The Coyotes weren't alone in having him on the top 10 of their board...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The trade for Raddysh may have altered things. I think Hayton and Hayden Fowler were both kind of being given a little opportunity with the 3rd/4th line at the beginning of the year. Coaching staff may have even had Frost and Hayden Verbeek as the 1/2 C to open up the year.

side note: that is a lot of times mentioning a name Hayden or Hayton among the centers in Soo

The Raddysh trade meant Fowler (a 16 year old) was gone. All the forwards now slot down one lower on the right hand side, and slowly Hayton wound up moving ahead of Verbeek during the year. He appeared to be primarily on lines with #37 Ryan Roth and either #17 Howdeshell or #52 Kopacka on the left side.

My guess is that he simply didn't get quite the same opportunities early, but as the season went on, he wound up playing more PP time and coaches wanted him on the ice more in all situations. There even appeared to be times when he had Katchouk or Raddysh on his wing when not on the PP, so he did a few things to continue to elevate his game throughout the year.

I have read discussions that say he was easily the best player for the Hounds in the playoffs, ahead of Frost and Katchouk. The damage that was done while players were away at Worlds was him at wing with Frost (10 points in 8 games).

Hayton using smart approach to develop into top 2018 NHL Draft prospect

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
@rt

Check of Hayton's /60 5v5 stats vs other 17 year olds. They are not particularly pretty. McShane, Dudas, Dunkley, Foudy, Thomas are all better in some respects. The only one that jumps out is his primary assist rate, which McShane still beats him in (#1 v #4).

Looking at the data, I'm really surprised the Coyotes didn't target Dudas, Jenkins, and Noel.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@rt

Check of Hayton's /60 5v5 stats vs other 17 year olds. They are not particularly pretty. McShane, Dudas, Dunkley, Foudy, Thomas are all better in some respects. The only one that jumps out is his primary assist rate, which McShane still beats him in (#1 v #4).

Looking at the data, I'm really surprised the Coyotes didn't target Dudas, Jenkins, and Noel.
Where? Not available on the OHL site? I have a Prospects Stats bookmark on my desktop that was useful, but I never pull it out. Is that the one? CHL Prospect Stats or something like that?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where? Not available on the OHL site? I have a Prospects Stats bookmark on my desktop that was useful, but I never pull it out. Is that the one? CHL Prospect Stats or something like that?

2017-18 OHL Forwards

Set the filters to:
Age less than 18
Age greater than or equal to 17
GP your call but I used greater than 40

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What are the chances Frost makes the Flyers? Are Philly fans penciling him in next year? I'd be kinda surprised by that given their depth up front.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What are the chances Frost makes the Flyers? Are Philly fans penciling him in next year? I'd be kinda surprised by that given their depth up front.
He’s still kinda scrawny, right? I wouldn’t expect him to make the nhl. Maybe. Watch Hayton end up his LW all year and we all buy toasters.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He’s still kinda scrawny, right? I wouldn’t expect him to make the nhl. Maybe. Watch Hayton end up his LW all year and we all buy toasters.

Yup. That's my concern - Hayton being blocked for top 1C minutes next year because Frost is still there.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
At least buy one of these so we can help line Barroway's pockets (read: arena fund) a bit.

gqChPGc.jpg

Also, @moosemeister New avatar idea...

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I didn't really focus on forwards this year at all...I focused on defensemen...but sometimes you just can't help but notice a player, sometimes they just jump off the page...and Hayton does that for me. Not from a flash standpoint. There's more talented players out there. No question. There's a higher-end, higher ceiling guys. But he was playing second fiddle to the best playmaking center in the OHL in Morgan Frost and if somehow Frost makes the Flyers (not likely at all), well, I'd get Barrett Hayton on your OHL fantasy team because he might pop a hundo. He's smart, he's tenacious, he's a goal-line to goal-line player, he works his bag off...and he has really gotten noticeably better as the season has gone on...

I think he might be a little more refined in terms of 1-on-1 ability and hands in tight than Bo Horvat at the same age, so I'm inclined to believe he has a little more to give in terms of production down the road than him too. I really don't believe this is a "safe" pick in the sense where it's like "all right, he's gonna play in the show...but it's just gonna be, ya know, another Juha Ylonen..." - like I said, I haven't been focused on him, but he seems like a player to me. The Coyotes weren't alone in having him on the top 10 of their board...

We really appreciate you for this

Reactions: _Del_ and rt

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
True. Maybe they’re on to something with the premium people thing. Keller is a workaholic hockey nerd too. I’ll take 6 Chychruns.
It seems to be a common thread, Rabbit posted a video where the announcers mention his work ethic, and another article mentions his dedication to learning about the sport. Chayka seems to value work ethic and being a "hockey nerd" highly. So far I'd have to agree.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Frost is a fantastic prospect. He was a steal at 27th. He should’ve been drafted about 15 spots higher, much like Sam Steel the year before. I wouldn’t say Hayton is a failure If he can’t be better than him. It’s not his fault Chayka picked him 5-10 spots too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianSniper

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Frost is a fantastic prospect. He was a steal at 27th. He should’ve been drafted about 15 spots higher, much like Sam Steel the year before. I wouldn’t say Hayton is a failure If he can’t be better than him. It’s not his fault Chayka picked home 5-10 spots too high.

I don't think anyone is down on Hayton as a prospect. He seems solid enough. Just some doubts about that 1C potential.

Reactions: CC96

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don't think anyone is down on Hayton as a prospect. He seems solid enough. Just some doubts about that 1C potential.
Agreed. I like Hayton the prospect, but I really don’t think he has 1c upside. I do think he has a really good chance at being a 20-30-50 two way 2c in the Bo Horvat mold. I’d be very happy with that.

Frost should be back in Sault St. Marie next year. He’s not expected to make the roster in Philly. Hopefully they can become a great 1-2 punch and lead them to the memorial cup.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
The worst use of an asset so far in Chayka's tenure. Hayton isn't even in the top 10 tier for any team. He absolutely should have leveraged the pick to trade back. What the ****. The scouts basically just bet their job on this pick.

A lot of people thought the same about Keller and look at him. Let it play out and let him develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->