Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't be so sure Zadina is in the NHL next year given where he ended up. Ken Holland and the Red Wings are still very much big believers in slow development. Larkin is really the only one from recent memory who got in the fast lane.

Reactions: Jmmack

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, but I think he'll play in the NHL next year and put up 20 goals. I agree that's not a good reason to take him though, that needs to be a bonus.

If Zadina does play and produce right away, our pick will look iffy even if Hayton steps up big time IMO. The two following years are where it'll get interesting. Does Zadina turn into a 40 goal scorer, or does he plateau? Does Hayton turn into a 60-80 point shutdown center? I think Chayka will face some scrutiny next year because Zadina will produce in the NHL, but I agree that even if he does it doesn't mean Hayton was the wrong pick. We won't know for 2-3 years.
Again, everyone is talking points. What about versatility? PK? PP? FO%? Zadina might produce more points than Hayton, but who will win you more games?

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Anyone else see Stepan in Hayton? When I watch tapes of Hayton that's who he reminds me of.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that Chayka did a deep dive into the stats and realized that a middle of the pack 1C was more valuable than a top 10 LW.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think that Chayka did a deep dive into the stats and realized that a middle of the pack 1C was more valuable than a top 10 LW.

I don't think you need fancy stats to determine that. Who gets traded for who pretty well shows that.
The question is whether Hayton's upside is actually that of a middle of the pack 1C. Virtually all the names he has been compared to are fringe 1Cs not middle of the pack ones.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don't think you need fancy stats to determine that. Who gets traded for who pretty well shows that.
The question is whether Hayton's upside is actually that of a middle of the pack 1C. Virtually all the names he has been compared to are fringe 1Cs not middle of the pack ones.
Except the over the top comparisons to Bergeron. I can’t stand when all the media outlets get lazy and compare all draft eligible two way centers to him. It’s unrealistic.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think we should be hoping for a Stepan/Hovart/Brassard type. If there is more offense and he is closer to a Staal then we hit the homerun.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Much prefer the Datsyuk comparisons.

I can see that, but absolutely not skill wise. Stylistically, he plays this euro puck focused style. He never really considers hits and is 100% focused on the puck, even when he is trying to get by a guy. Any outstretched arms or sticks are just objects to duck over/under/around. He plays slightly over his skates in that strong, hunched over way like Datsyuk did.

We will know basically by January if this pick was a dumb reach and that's pretty exciting.

Reactions: Grimes

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think we should be hoping for a Stepan/Hovart/Brassard type

In a vacuum I think you can more than live with your 5th overall pick ending up about there.
But the way this went down this pick will never been analyzed in a vacuum unless the draft and players taken around him end up shockingly weaker than expected.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In a vacuum I think you can more than live with your 5th overall pick ending up about there.
But the way this went down this pick will never been analyzed in a vacuum unless the draft and players taken around him end up shockingly weaker than expected.

If Wahlstrom pots 40 ala Vanek in RT's 2003 comparison, it's a dumb pick, for example. There's a very, very good chance a better player was taken after Hayton. It's all on him to live up to his billing and be a strong player. If he's just a Vermette type then that's just straight up mismanagement.

They are being very clear about their feelings; they took him high, they didn't trade him down, they gushed about him when asked, and said he'll be here sooner than you think. Management is all-in.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Sorry fellas, I'm in cali for roller hockey finals so I won't be able to attend, hopefully a lot of you can go and give us the read on all of the new guys. I really like Jan Jenik from all the videos I watched, and really interested in seeing if Hayton is "special" per Chayka and the boys.

Reactions: Jormungandr

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Again, everyone is talking points. What about versatility? PK? PP? FO%? Zadina might produce more points than Hayton, but who will win you more games?

I'd invite you to catch up to Zadina's performance at the WJCs. He won games for the Czechs.

Furthermore, Zadina was far from a one-trick pony in Halifax. Anyone who actually watched tape of him would know that.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Not sure if it has been posted but, here's a snippet from one of Vancouver reporters dropping some info about Hayton and the teams interested. Canucks had Hayton over Hughes/Zadina, and Chicago wanted to trade up for him. This is coming from Botchford who is pretty reliable in the Vancouver market.

BEST PEACE EFFORT
There are two players the Canucks would have considered, and possibly drafted, ahead of Hughes who were picked from 3-to-6.
Benning did confirm one of the two was not Zadina.
That’s because the Canucks weren’t taking a winger at 7.
The Canucks were taking a centre, or a high-upside defenceman with that seventh overall pick.
Much has been made of Arizona throwing the top of the draft off kilter because the Coyotes reached on Barrett Hayton.
But word at the draft was Montreal seriously considered him at No. 3 over Kotkaniemi.
Chicago not only really liked Hayton, the Hawks looked to move up to get him.
The other team which was very high on Hayton in the top ten was …. Vancouver.

The Provies: The Mid-Summer Classic, including the Hughes thing, the Wise thing, the Cloutier thing and that showdown thing

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if it has been posted but, here's a snippet from one of Vancouver reporters dropping some info about Hayton and the teams interested. Canucks had Hayton over Hughes/Zadina, and Chicago wanted to trade up for him. This is coming from Botchford who is pretty reliable in the Vancouver market.
Great find.

I think in time this forum will warm up to Hayton. We just need to grieve the loss of Zadina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->