Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
If all the players we have finally meet expectations we could have a good run this year but that's a big if. Still I like it.
They may be phasing in and out of an alternative world where the picks went different.

What scares me, is my impression the Coyotes needs to come out of the gates with all guns blazing, or this team is doomed. Then perhaps the Zadina-pick would have been better.

I certainly trust Chayka knows what he is doing. If he really sees a true 1C here, and believes this is the man who can rule the world in the future, I so hope he is right.

But this seems to mean the team will continue to struggle for at least another year.

Let's hope Galchenyuk let's it lose after getting away from the stranglehold that's Montreal. And Keller has no sophomore slump. And Strome finally finds it. And Raanta stops getting rear-ended on the highway.

And so on...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What scares me, is my impression the Coyotes needs to come out of the gates with all guns blazing, or this team is doomed. Then perhaps the Zadina-pick would have been better.
Or he crashes and burns like Pool Party because he wasn't quite ready. Fans all bemoan not picking our next guy, and the scouts are mad they didn't push harder for the guy they thought was really the best player available because they were cowed by consensus.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Or he crashes and burns like Pool Party because he wasn't quite ready. Fans all bemoan not picking our next guy, and the scouts are mad they didn't push harder for the guy they thought was really the best player available because they were cowed by consensus.

Ah that Zadina. Seemed to be caring most about having nice suits anyways. Just a dandy ;-)

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would have taken Zadina. Maybe even Wahlstrom if I got a wild hair on the clock.

But acting like Zadina is guaranteed to produce next year as the basis of a decision to not select your own BPA seems ridiculous.

ETA: I am one of those who had Puljujarvi high on my list and thought he was NHL-ready, if anyone thinks I'm trying to slag him or those who thought he was ready.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I would have taken Zadina. Maybe even Wahlstrom if I got a wild hair on the clock.

But acting like Zadina is guaranteed to produce next year as the basis of a decision seems ridiculous.
I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, but I think he'll play in the NHL next year and put up 20 goals. I agree that's not a good reason to take him though, that needs to be a bonus.

If Zadina does play and produce right away, our pick will look iffy even if Hayton steps up big time IMO. The two following years are where it'll get interesting. Does Zadina turn into a 40 goal scorer, or does he plateau? Does Hayton turn into a 60-80 point shutdown center? I think Chayka will face some scrutiny next year because Zadina will produce in the NHL, but I agree that even if he does it doesn't mean Hayton was the wrong pick. We won't know for 2-3 years.

Reactions: Mosby and zerekstar

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

But acting like Zadina is guaranteed to produce next year as the basis of a decision seems ridiculous.
So true.

And it's no given, but I do think the Bergeron comparison has validity. Therefore if confronted with the question would you take Hayton at five this year, if he becomes a Bergeron down the road - do you do it?

I have no idea if they used that comparison, but believe this is exactly what they did in theory. I give 'em props for ignoring the shiny objects and sticking to conviction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sthlmyote and Mosby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We won't know for 2-3 years.

If Hayton is going to project as a 1/2C tweener, he needs to have a monster year in the OHL next season and play a big role for Team Canada. Chayka has already hyped him up and said he'll be here sooner than you think. He's not a project. He's already got NHL size compared to Morgan Frost.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So we're looking at a 30-47-5, 65 point season due to this pick? Sounds like we lose 15 games based off picking Hayton.

Highly subjective that the difference between Zadina maybe being in the NHL (maybe we send him back to juniors) and waiting on Hayton is going to be that much. We haven't even been through any free agency period yet to see the complete team.

Look, if Zadina winds up being great in Detroit, then so be it. Not our problem to contend with. Ours is making sure that Hayton develops into a better player than Zadina. Apparently, there is enough on tape for the team and staff to say that he will.

Reactions: Jakey53

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If Hayton is going to project as a 1/2C tweener, he needs to have a monster year in the OHL next season and play a big role for Team Canada. Chayka has already hyped him up and said he'll be here sooner than you think. He's not a project. He's already got NHL size compared to Morgan Frost.
Agreed, but even if he has a monster year in the OHL it won't prove Chayka right. If he doesn't it'll prove Chayka wrong, but until he puts up top 6 numbers in the NHL the jury is still out. In one year we'll know if he has the potential to be a top 6 C, 2-3 years we'll know if he is.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
UMC said:
I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, but I think he'll play in the NHL next year and put up 20 goals.

I would have almost guaranteed Puljujarvi for 15-20 goals and uphill from there. And I liked him on his draft day more than I did Zadina on his.

But here he is with 158 career NHL games and 25 goals.

Again, Zadina would have been my preference and BPA, but I don't weigh my first year expectations very heavily against my BPA philosophy, and the team shouldn't either.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would have almost guaranteed Puljujarvi for 15-20 goals and uphill from there. And I liked him on his draft day more than I did Zadina on his.

Again, Zadina would have been my preference and BPA, but I don't weigh my first year expectations very heavily against my BPA philosophy, and the team shouldn't either.
I tossed my Coyotes hat in the ice after he scored a hat trick at U18’s. Drafting 18 year olds is such a crapshoot

Reactions: _Del_

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Unfortunately this isnt just about passing on Zadina. We also passed on Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Boqvist, all of who I would have been happier selecting than Hayton on Friday and today. Hayton is up against all of them to show he was the right choice. I dont need to be able to prove he is better than each individual, but he should have at least a similar impact in the NHL to those players.

Drafting a player with Dvo's ceiling at 5 would not have been acceptable. A more toolsy Hovart absolutely would be.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yup, gotta take the long view. Zadina potentially stepping in this year would have just been gravy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Anything less than 1.5ppg in the OHL and 1st line center for Canada at the WJC would a HUGE red flag that our group got way too f***ing smart for their own good.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think they had him 3rd overall. That’s a list years in the making with a lot of folks collaborating. I’m not going to waste any tears. We will see. They’ve all bet their jobs on him and none appear the least bit worried. That’s encouraging.

I think we had him 4th. I think we tried to trade up to 3 for Kotkaniemi. I suspect our top 5 was Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Tkachuk.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah well. Welcome to
Barrett Hayton

That's what's the thread-title says.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think we had him 4th. I think we tried to trade up to 3 for Kotkaniemi. I suspect our top 5 was Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Tkachuk.

How hilarious would it have been to trade up to 3 and take Kotka, all the while Montreal was thinking we would grab Zadina.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How hilarious would it have been to trade up to 3 and take Kotka, all the while Montreal was thinking we would grab Zadina.

That's why Montreal probably asked for something worth offsetting that risk.

Reactions: Grimes

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I just simply liked the quote from Chayka that went something along the lines of:

"The draft is the only place that you can find a #1 C at a substantially lower value than market."

It sucks to say, but it isn't untrue. If you want a good team, you have to be good down the middle. We already have some good pieces, some potential building blocks, and some questions to answer before this. Now we have additional good pieces, potential, and questions :nod:.

Should Hayton answer the bell, that also says a lot for our scouting to be following the proper progression of a player if there have been eyes on him for two years now. Remember Chayka said he had seen him live 10 times or so. At least half of those probably came in the IIHF games or some sort of highly regarded tournament of peers, so he is also seeing many players about 5-10 times live throughout the buildup to their respective draft years. To keep coming back to the "no holes in his game" and finding an obsession with his game also has to say that the player gave scouts and Chayka some reason to want to watch him closer than watching a Zadina or Hughes.

He played the entire year at the age of 17 last year and kept getting better on a really good team. Let's keep playing this one out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I rewatched the 2003 NHL entry draft while smoking some meats (and some cigars) and waiting for the 2018 draft to begin. Wow. What a class. Some striking similarities to be honest.

There was this run on three elite D (Suter, Coburn and Phaneuf) that everyone loved. Zherdev, Vanek and Michalek went 4th, 5th and 6th overall.

There were three big wingers that everyone loved. Big time goal scorers. I mean Vanek especially just crushed it in D1 in goals. Zherdev and Michalek already lighting it up in men’s leagues.

There was also this tall, athletic center from the Soo Greyhounds who went #11. He wasn’t buried on a powerhouse team or anything. He lead them in scoring and they got swept in the first round. But he was still only a little over a ppg pace. 71 in 61.

I cant imagine the pandemonium if the Blue Jackets were crazy enough to take him 4th over Zherdev, and Vanek, and Michalek and Suter and Phaneuf and Coburn. Or if the Sabres did that at 5th or the Sharks at 6th. It would’ve been outrage.

Oddly this center from the Soo ended up being arguably as good or better as any player taken in the top 3 or top five or top ten or top fifteen of the best draft class in my lifetime.

Obviously Barrett Hayton is not Jeff Carter. It’s sometimes helpful to keep in mind that even great drafts and their best prospects don’t always turn out exactly as you think they will in the long-run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->