Post-Game Talk: #5| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 21st | 8:00 PM | F/L 8-0

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
NEW YORK ISLANDERS AT TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

GAME 5: ISLANDERS AT LIGHTNING
8 PM | AMALIE ARENA
SERIES TIED 2-2
WATCH: NBCSN | CBC | SN | TVAS | NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

The New York Islanders-Tampa Bay Lightning playoff series is going the way many people thought it would. But then again, it isn’t.
It was presumed this would be tight series that would require six or more games to settle. That’s assured now that it is 2-2 going into Game 5.

What wasn’t anticipated is that the Islanders would be a better scoring team than the Lightning in this postseason. In the regular-season, the Lightning were ninth in team scoring, while the Islanders were 21st. In this postseason, the Islanders are averaging 3.19 goals per game compared to 3.13 for the Lightning.

Islanders Offense Steps Up in Postseason

Down the stretch in the regular-season, it was painful to watch New York’s offensive struggles, After Anders Lee went down with an injury, the Islanders looked inept at times.

In the postseason, they have been a different offensive team. Lou Lamoriello’s move to acquire Kyle Palmieri looks brilliant today because he has seven goals. But he is one of four Islanders with six or seven goals. Brock Nelson also has seven, while Josh Bailey and Mathew Barzal have six each.

The Islanders are scoring by committee, and that committee has been very productive. That’s why they pulled off a 3-2 win in Game 4. Jean-Gabriel Pageau also has 13 points and Anthony Beauvillier has 12. Defenseman is tied for third on the team with seven assists.
Instead of relying on one or two offensive heroes, the Islanders have everyone on the roster playing better offensively than they did in the regular-season.

Masked Man Still the Lightning Key

Brayden Point has 12 goals in the Lightning’s 15 playoff games. Nikita Kucherov has 24 points. The Lightning has a roster overflowing with proven scorers. Victor Hedman is the NHL’s best defenseman.

But goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy remains the team’s most important player.
With the Lightning still needing two wins to return to the Stanley Cup Final, Vasilevskiy has given up eight goals in his last five games. Since the clinching game of the Carolina series, Vasilevskiy has stopped 136 of 144 shots. That’s a .944 save percentage.

xcGJsLL.png

Playoff Series History

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
55-65-345.92.72.830-29-150.82.92.725-36-241.32.63.06-1430.01.83.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

Yulshbi.png

Possible Lineups:

gBXT1Tz.png

Team Leaders:

AMbqsRL.png

Game 1 Recap

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 13, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Recap

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 15, 2021 - ESPN

Game 3 Recap

Lightning vs. Islanders - Game Recap - June 17, 2021 - ESPN

Game 4 Highlights/Recap

Lightning vs. Islanders - Game Recap - June 19, 2021 - ESPN

Last edited:

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I really hope at the very least we see Palmieri on the top line. He was brought in to replace Lee yet we haven’t utilized him in that role up until last game, and when we removed him from the top line in the third we started to falter a bit. I’m hoping for that and maybe Wahlstrom in for Komarov. Pager is clearly banged up and Zajac, while solid, doesn’t provide much in terms of physical play or offense. I think getting Olly on that line gives us another scoring threat and takes some pressure off Pager who is being targeted since he’s the only legitimate threat on that line.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I really hope at the very least we see Palmieri on the top line. He was brought in to replace Lee yet we haven’t utilized him in that role up until last game, and when we removed him from the top line in the third we started to falter a bit. I’m hoping for that and maybe Wahlstrom in for Komarov. Pager is clearly banged up and Zajac, while solid, doesn’t provide much in terms of physical play or offense. I think getting Olly on that line gives us another scoring threat and takes some pressure off Pager who is being targeted since he’s the only legitimate threat on that line.
In Trotz’s media availability this morning, he said he would probably continue the Palmieri/Komarov swap.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Playoff games kill me no matter what time they start. I admire your dedication.
"Dedication" is a nice word to use instead of "batshit crazy", thank you! :laugh: And I agree on the first, the games are too stresfull.
Saw this nugget of info about game 5 on Eric hornick’s nyi skinny:

“With Kenny Albert attending his daughter's graduation, Islander voice Brendan Burke will have the call on NBCSN on Monday night.“

nice!
That's awesome! I missed Burke!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
With Pageau apparently injured the role of that third line has changed now and I think that's part of why we're seeing more of the Palmieri/Komarov swap. If Pageau is healthy, that line can score, but if he's not healthy then the line needs to be strictly a shut down line. Obviously home or away games also help dictate things a little because of the match up preferences for each coach. I'll be interested to see what happens in Tampa Bay.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Did you guys see the quote from sergachev in the new newsday story for tomorrow paper? It’s always us, it’s never them. When WE are playing our game nobody can play with us. What a cocky prick.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Did you guys see the quote from sergachev in the new newsday story for tomorrow paper? It’s always us, it’s never them. When WE are playing our game nobody can play with us. What a cocky prick.
What was the quote please? Newsday is geoblocked in Europe... :help:

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Sounds like a great motivator for the isles to make them eat the boards and play their best ISLANDERS hockey for the win.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What was the quote please? Newsday is geoblocked in Europe... :help:
Here’s the exact quote. God I want the isles to knock that team out so bad.
"It wasn’t them, it was us — it’s always us," Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev said after Game 4. "When we’re on the top of our game, playing our structure and guys are battling, I don’t think there’s anyone that can play with us."

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
"It wasn’t them, it was us — it’s always us," Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev said after Game 4. "When we’re on the top of our game, playing our structure and guys are battling, I don’t think there’s anyone that can play with us."
Out of all their star players, he's the only one that hasn't been making a difference for TB. He's made more of a difference for us. He's a giveaway machine.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Lord, what the ever loving f***... For someone who really, really hasn't played that good in this series, he surely uses some big words. The Isles can hang with them. Been proving that for 4 games already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad