U18: 5-nations Tournament Zuchwil, Switzerland(26.12-31.12)

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Really unimpressed by Simontaival, looks like he knows he is probably the most talented player on the ice and just floats.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Pärssinen look impressive once again. Could be good player once he gains some strength.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am trying to figure out how close the rosters are to being at full strength, so I can judge the performances more accurately.

Obviously Finland and Slovakia are missing players who are at the World Juniors right now.

Finland:
Kaapo Kakko
Anton Lundell

Slovakia:
Samuel Hlavaj
Andrej Golian

Germany is missing their two best players in Moritz Seider (plays for his pro team) and Tim Stützle (injury). Then there are a few guys who could be there, but probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Are there other players that would be on the best possible U18 team of their respective countries, who are missing from this tournament?
Any insight is welcome.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I am trying to figure out how close the rosters are to being at full strength, so I can judge the performances more accurately.

Obviously Finland and Slovakia are missing players who are at the World Juniors right now.

Finland:
Kaapo Kakko
Anton Lundell

Slovakia:
Samuel Hlavaj
Andrej Golian

Germany is missing their two best players in Moritz Seider (plays for his pro team) and Tim Stützle (injury). Then there are a few guys who could be there, but probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Are there other players that would be on the best possible U18 team of their respective countries, who are missing from this tournament?
Any insight is welcome.

Finland is missing ton of players, all of the top forwards, #1 goalie and top2 d-man. On top of my head Kakko, Lundell, Kallionkieli, Nikkanen, Saarela, Puistola, Heinola, Kokkonen and Piiroinen

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland is missing ton of players, all of the top forwards, #1 goalie and top2 d-man. On top of my head Kakko, Lundell, Kallionkieli, Nikkanen, Saarela, Puistola, Heinola, Kokkonen and Piiroinen
And yet Slovakia hasn't had any chance in this game.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

Finland:
Kaapo Kakko
Anton Lundell

Slovakia:
Samuel Hlavaj
Andrej Golian

Any insight is welcome.
Slovakia is also missing Cajkovic, Turan and Melcher.. but hard to explain what is happening it that game. This is probably the year Slovakia might get relegated when these guys come to u20

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Slovakia is also missing Cajkovic, Turan and Melcher.. but hard to explain what is happening it that game. This is probably the year Slovakia might get relegated when these guys come to u20

Thank you. How did I miss Cajkovic?

It looks like Germany will have their best teams since the Draisaitl years at the U20 in the next 2 or 3 years. Could be an interesting match up if they face each other, because when Germany has good years at the same time when Slovakia or Switzerland have down years, they are pretty even.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I highly doubt that, we were missing our best forward and arguably best defender. Let’s not hit panic button yet. Let’s first see what they do vs Swiss than we can determine whether trouble is actually there.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I don't get the schedule. CZE-GER game, Czechs play the 3rd game already while Germans play their 1st. I have to say Germans looked solid though, in my opinon better than what Slovakia or Switzerland showed against the Czechs. Might have the case of being fresh going against a bit tired team though.

You guys have Latvia in your group. I don't know anything about them, but I very much doubt they will be real threat. Slovakia also seems to play bad in these mid-season tournaments just to turn competetive at the WJC. I remember last year when you lost to Austria in a pre-tournament game and then proceeded to beat Czechs and take it to OT with Russia.

EDIT: Thought you were talking about U18 WJC, my bad.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I don't get the schedule. CZE-GER game, Czechs play the 3rd game already while Germans play their 1st. I have to say Germans looked solid though, in my opinon better than what Slovakia or Switzerland showed against the Czechs. Might have the case of being fresh going against a bit tired team though.

You guys have Latvia in your group. I don't know anything about them, but I very much doubt they will be real threat. Slovakia also seems to play bad in these mid-season tournaments just to turn competetive at the WJC. I remember last year when you lost to Austria in a pre-tournament game and then proceeded to beat Czechs and take it to OT with Russia.

EDIT: Thought you were talking about U18 WJC, my bad.
Yes and by the way this 2001 birth year lost to Hungary and then almost to Ukraine but managed to play close games with Canada and Sweden on the Hlinka Cup.. It's just strange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad