U18: 5 Nations Tournament 4-8 February

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
the same was said about 95. The pattern is stomped :) (дорожка протоптана), they go to CHL and without a coach watching them every step of the way, being affected by absolutely different system they don't reach the potential, at least many of them.
Exactly. They may look great now but let's not get excited over them. The best ones will go to the CHL and their development will be ruined.

Last edited:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
At the same time attitudes about one's country and nation are changing in a good way.

I think the newest generations of hockey players will be proud to represent their country, unlike the regrettable generations of 90s and, to some extent, the 00s.

This is all meaningless if the players ruin themselves at 16-18 by going to Canada. Their pride of Russia does not matter at all if their skills are not developed properly. They are not going to help Russia the way they would if they stay in Russia until 20.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I bet some of these kids will play on big teams in the KHL the next year. It's way more money than playing in the CHL.
The current situation is that the best ones will choose to play in the CHL over a big role in a KHL club.

They are still not learning. They are not learning that this is not best for them. They are listening bad/corrupt agents too much.

The 1998 age group will be another ruined generation, I'm afraid.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Sokolov with 2 more goals today. 5 goals 1 assist, best Russia's scorer.:yo:

Plays with Sokolov for MHL team The Omsk Hawks(Omskiye Yastreby). He has 3 goals and 16 assists in 33 games.

Will Sokolov play in Avangard KHL club next season or is his career already ruined by a decision to go to Canada?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Abramov must be there. He was a beast at U17 5 nations. Not as godlike as the future star of world hockey Ivanyuzhenkov but still pretty good.

I can't find the leading scorers for U17. Can someone hook me up?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Congratulations to the Russian teams for winning both tournaments. Not surprised to see the success of their U17 group despite missing some top players but the U18 group seems to have really turned things around after a horrible Ivan Hlinka tournament last August. I'll be looking forward to their rematch against the US in group play at the U18 wjc's in April.

not worried at all..

April will be the big test and I would much rather see White and Fischer explode and raise their draft stock over Matthews who has another full year to do so..

Matthews ended the tournament with a strong showing, scoring a hat trick and adding an assist against the Czechs. I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about his recent play but it's tough when expectations are as high as they are.

We'll see what happens with White and Fischer. I liked what I saw here from the latter but was hoping for more from the former. I've seen you and others compare White to Larkin and I'm still not sold on that. Larkin seemed like a more explosive/intense player even last year and he's only taken it a step further with his play this season.

Overall I think this US team can and should be improved by April. There's a pretty good chance Hanifin, Werenski, Novak and Boeser will be available and I'd like to see all of them added. Perhaps we'll see something like this...

Tkachuk-Matthews-Roslovic
Greenway-White-Bracco
Fischer-Novak-Boeser
Warren-Terry-Kunin
Jones

• Perhaps Jones could get some chances in Greenway's place if he continues to struggle finishing.

• I could also see a possibility of Yan being added given his previous NTDP experience and chemistry with Novak/Boeser from the Hlinka tournament.

• Kirwan would have been a sure thing at one point but after his poor season I don't think he'll be invited.

• Logan Brown could be an interesting inclusion but I don't know if they'll try that or if he'd accept. I'd be happy to see him centering the fourth line though.

• Outside chance for Clayton Keller as well.

Hanifin-Werenski
Krys-Boka
Jones-McAvoy
Masonius

• I don't really have any strong feelings about who stays and who goes from the current d-core so Fitzgerald, Gabriele, Evers and Ruggerio could be there in place of some of what I have.

• If Hanifin and Werenski are available I'd like to see them out there as much as possible.

• I'd also really like to see Krys there.

• I'd definitely make a push for Chychrun if he's available as I don't think he's eligible to represent Canada yet but I doubt he'd accept at this point.

Oettinger
Opilka
Lackey

• It's a risk going with the '98 goalie but I'd very much like to see it considered as I'm not overly confident in Opilka/Lackey as of now.

All this said, it's possible they ride with what they have for the most part and we don't see so many players from outside the program or from the U17 team on the final roster. It could be seen as a risk to team chemistry and even without changes I think they still have a strong chance of winning.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good to see Matthews finishing strong, it was needed for him and the team moving forward as he is the straw that stirs the offense here.

As for Larkin/White, well I would rather compare him to Larkin over Bergeron like others are :laugh: I hope one day he can be that guy, but that is lofty IMO. From what I have seen from both guys over the past few years I see a similar game to them. Defensively sound, great skaters, but the offense just never seemed to go in for them...I think White can be that next Larkin type player who has all the skills and two-way play to be a force. Now to be fair I don't think we have seen the real Colin White yet due to his illness and injury, but he is there and hopefully shows up in April to make a statement.

I have been a big fan of Fischer as he seems like a kid who will go higher then his ranking as he just looks like a steady pro that will make it in some capacity. He has the frame and grit to be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL for many years as his skating and hands are solid as well...he does remind me of a young David Backes but a bit smaller.. I hope he really shines in April as well..

I think it is a safe bet that they would add Boesser and Yan...They had a great Hlinka like you said and both would help out this teams depth big time.

The other name you mentioned that I believe they should throw everything at is Logan Brown as that kid needs to be playing for the US and hopefully he decides to..Kirwan is not having a great year but I have heard some decent reprts on him that he has played fine in his limited ice time but just isn't getting the numbers yet...he could be an add as well, but Brown is the guy to target...

I would love to see Brown, Boesser, and Yan added to this offense in April. That would be excellent to see.

Defensively this team really doesn't have the talent I thought it would at the beginning of the year. Would they even ask Werenski and Hanifin? My memory sucks, but I don't recall USA Hockey bringing in college kids for this team, though their USNDP history makes them likely targets. Krys is a star obviously, but most of the others really haven't stepped up like I would have hoped.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I would love to see Brown, Boesser, and Yan added to this offense in April. That would be excellent to see.

I think Novak might be as crucial as any addition up front. He's really coming on lately in USHL play and I think he was the driving force of that Hlinka tournament line's success. He and Boeser have played together a lot this year and I think that chemistry should have them both in and on the same line.

Defensively this team really doesn't have the talent I thought it would at the beginning of the year. Would they even ask Werenski and Hanifin? My memory sucks, but I don't recall USA Hockey bringing in college kids for this team, though their USNDP history makes them likely targets. Krys is a star obviously, but most of the others really haven't stepped up like I would have hoped.

Jim O'Brien played at the U18s after spending the season at Minnesota back in '07. He was a key player on that silver medal winning squad and playing in the tournament likely helped his draft stock. I think both Hanifin and Werenski could benefit if they play.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Both Sokolov and Matthews played very good. What's wrong with Puljujärvi? He finished with no points.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Both Sokolov and Matthews played very good. What's wrong with Puljujärvi? He finished with no points.
He played only 3 games because of small injury. He had some very good chances to score, but idk what's wrong with him. Same thing maybe what was at the WJC. But this team is even worse. Worst age group in years.

I'm not worried though. We'll see at the U18 WC. For example Barkov had only 3 points (1+2) at the U18 WC before his draft year.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
The result speaks for itself, it do no look good for sweden coming into WJC 18. I havnt seen all games, but the result are really bad.

On nhe plus side, the little I jave seen. Grundström has been good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad