Post-Game Talk: #5| Florida Panthers @ New York Islanders | Broctober 12th | 7:00 PM | F/SOW 3-2

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The structure is starting to come together again. They played pretty well until they sat back too much in the third. Once it was tied they took control again. Though Bailey had a really strong game and the top line was getting a lot of chances, with some flubs in there. The defense played pretty well too. Dal Colle wasn't noticeable again other than his long giraffe stretch to poke the puck deeper into the offensive zone. Johnston winning that fight was nice. Varlamov was pretty solid coming up with some big saves at crucial moments. Beauvillier was a positive again.

Nice win, on to the next one.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Unfortunately I missed the game because I was asleep have been working weird hours. My dad told me Eberle injured his knee late in the 3rd, how serious was the injury? We really cannot afford to lose him because he in one of the few scorers on our offensively inept team. Anyways huge win for Varly at home, hopefully he gets rolling now I am gonna watch the highlights when they are up

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I've been mostly watching the Yankees, but had my eye on this. A win... we'll take it. This was a bit more Islander-like game, especially the first 40 minutes, but we need to figure out how to put a 60 minute game together soon. That was a bad 3rd period.

Some other thoughts...

Varly. I dunno, still early, but he looks like he has trouble tracking and locating the puck. A lot of goalies butterfly down automatically, but sometimes a second or two goes by with the puck behind the net and I feel like he's still on his knees trying to locate it. He seems to really bond with the guys though... hopefully he settles in.

What is Brassard doing? He looks... not good. He's winning faceoffs which we badly needed, but eh... he looks lost. Major downgrade from Flip so far, but I also want to feel for the only skater that wasn't part of this galvanized group last year. I'll give it a few more weeks.

Eberle looks fantastic to start the year. Hope he's ok.

Pelech is massively underrated around here. He had another fantastic game and is taking another major step. If he limits mistakes and adds offense to his game (Trotz giving him OT time) which is possible, he could be our best defenseman.

MDC... I dunno. Leash has to be short. He kind of just looks like a 4th line player. He's fine, but it looks like offense will be rare. He's worth so little on the trade market. What a waste. I want to punch myself in the face for having arguments through the summer explaining why MDC wasn't going to be a superstar in the NHL this year. Another waste.

Everyone knows it, everyone says it, but watching Barzal skate is crazy. He's seriously one of the best skaters I've ever seen. Kane is a better player, but I just haven't seen him with that kind of edge work. McDavid could do what Barzal does, but he's too busy quickly going to the net and scoring, so you never see him do it. And there's our problem.

DalColle looks like a waste of a roster spot
Not happy with Lou’s contracts. The length of the Leo, Hickey deals were head scratchers. Giving DalColle 2 years? Why? Who else was offering him multiple years?
Guy is a bust, it happens

Reactions: IslandersGER

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I haven't been on here much so I'm not sure why I don't have a like button but this comment is spot on. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, right now Barzal looks a lot like JHS out there. Dazzling but otherwise pretty useless.

Barzal is definitely not useless. That's ridiculous. He made a ton of defensive plays tonight. Just because he lacks a shot doesn't mean he's completely useless. If he had a ridiculous shot, he'd be a top 5 player in the NHL. JHS can't make an NHL team. Barzal was ROY and would have 30 teams listening intently on a trade and would be giving up a ton.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Varly looked a bit more comfortable, but he still seems to be a bit conservative, staying back in his net too much. We may have to be patient with him for a bit. If he's working with the goalie coaches (he should be), then he will be adjusting his game. I'm sure that they aren't going to overhaul him, maybe make some small changes and keep adjusting as the season progresses? He's bound to have a few blips along the way, but I think he will be awesome for us. His glove is better than Lehner's, IMO. He's quicker too. Seems to be well liked.

Win # 1. Plenty more to follow.

Last edited:

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
The disconnected reality that makes people think that JHS is an answer to anything that is plaguing this team right now is as funny as it is sad.

You’re probably correct
BUT, he has a skill set that addresses what this team needs far more than what DalColle’s does
Makes me believe there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I haven't been on here much so I'm not sure why I don't have a like button but this comment is spot on. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, right now Barzal looks a lot like JHS out there. Dazzling but otherwise pretty useless.

There’s going to be a nasty holdout next summer for sure if he puts up a pedestrian season. Like something along the lines of 15-40-55. His agent is gonna try to get him Point and Marner money and it ain’t happening

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Solid game. Team has many holes, but tonight the structure looked like a year ago/WPG game. They can get away w solid play against other mediocre teams. That said, the Blues are a great team. Will be happy w a point.

Pelech was outstanding. When he’s on, he’s such a good defender. Probably has the best reach on the team.

MDC is a grinder. That is all. Kuhn part II.

I hope Ebs is ok, he stayed on the bench, so that’s a good sign. But lord knows, Lou has yet to bring in the scoring ‘pop’ he professed and his coach, fanbase, and media are chiming for.

Varly was good.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I've been concerned about barzie since he got to the NHL. The whole lack of a shot thing, along with hosang, is something as Islander fans we haven't really had to put up with ever. Its painful to watch such a incomplete player. Even bossy learned to play defense.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Goodnight to you Jokers who are hating on Maty.

Barz is this team’s franchise player; I love his game. But that was preseason against NYRs B squad.

He is a pure skater, creator, and passer; however, he’s not a pure scorer. He’s had countless point-blank chances to score, he just doesn’t (most of the time).

His gifts need to be maximized. Put one or two skilled and smart snipers on his line, he’ll have 90+ points. If I’m management, I would do everything in my power to support his gifts.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
They won, they are 2-3, still don't look like themselves yet, but this is a playoff team, they may struggle to get 100 points but they will gel and get hot... the key forwards looked good tonight.. MDC, Brassard won't be in the top 12 by game #25 is my guess.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
They won, they are 2-3, still don't look like themselves yet, but this is a playoff team, they may struggle to get 100 points but they will gel and get hot... the key forwards looked good tonight.. MDC, Brassard won't be in the top 12 by game #25 is my guess.

What are your thoughts on Alan Quine. I kid, major. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad