GDT: 5/9 11:30 AM - Charlie Jacobs, Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and Jim Montgomery finally answer questions - NESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Poor Charlie just looks so uncomfortable as he squirms up there on the stage.

Better than he used to be, but still.
The old man isn’t showing his face these days.

Sweeney using a lot of Harvard jargon and talking in circles.

Neely…. What would you say you do here?

And then you have Montgomery with his tail between his legs saying he failed repeatedly, yet at the same time basically saying he wouldn’t change how he approached things.

I think Montgomery still has no idea what happened. One moment he was top of the world and his team were Cup favorites, within 2 weeks they fell apart and lost to a wildcard. He's still trying to figure it out, and because of that his statements are still quite muddled. And to some extent at least you can't blame him - almost none of us expected the Bs to turtle as fast and as much as they did. But he's got to get on top of things and work out a better way forward at some point, or he won't last very long.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They canned the hardass and brought in a players’ coach.

No surprise to find out that Bergeron made the call that he was playing.

What’s Montgomery going to say?

The whole thing with the players’ coach and the tweaks to their style of play worked until it didn’t.

I don’t think one coach would have told Bergeron he wasn’t playing.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The more I think about all this the more I appreciate tim Thomas even more for saving our bacon. If he didnt become hulk in 2011 it would be 1972 and counting. We suck to finish as a organization. 2013 2019 and now this debacle. Guys just watch jaws 4 the revenge to get your minds off this implosion.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
IMG_4811.jpeg

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
f***ing amateur hour listening to these guys. This is an embarrassment that is not going to go away anytime soon unfortunately

Clean the f***ing house

Reactions: The don godfather

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Torts, Brind'Amour, Trotz, Bowness, Berube, Sutter, Cooper, maybe Sullivan. It's not as simple as just saying to Bergy or anyone else, "you're not playing". It's, "I'm the coach, I'll consult with the medical staff, I'll talk to you, I'll talk to the assistants, but ultimately it's my decision." That's how it should be. Coaching has changed, for sure, and not always for the better, but there's still a few guys around who are prepared to properly take charge.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If Auston Matthews was hurt and said he was ready to play and was cleared by medical and the Leafs said no we would be lambasting the team and Matthews for letting them take the “ball” out of his hands. I know what kind of poster you are and I know you know this.
The fact that Montgomery approached it as a question with Bergeron is telling.

Asking him, “Do you feel it’s prudent we give you another day to rest?”.

Of course the guy’s going to say he wants in.

So instead the conversation needs to be “We need you to achieve the ultimate goal. In order for that to happen, we need you close to 100%. Right now, we’re rolling. You rest up and we’ll see you in Round 2.”

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The fact that Montgomery approached it as a question with Bergeron is telling.

Asking him, “Do you feel it’s prudent we give you another day to rest?”.

Of course the guy’s going to say he wants in.

So instead the conversation needs to be “We need you to achieve the ultimate goal. In order for that to happen, we need you close to 100%. Right now, we’re rolling. You rest up and we’ll see you in Round 2.”
It’s like context doesn’t matter. They were up 3-1, the guy has a herniated disc. You could try and close out game 5 at home and get him another 5 days rest.
They weren’t in any desperate situation, they could have tried to manage this.
They we’re doing just fine without him..

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That's ridiculous.
why?
he basically forced himself into the lineup when we were up 3 - 1. then didnt do anything.
he should get alot of the blame.

i agree.
thats why its on bergy to step up and say he needs more rest. we are up 3 - 1. lets try finishing them off without me.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
It's too bad they didn't have a goalie rotation going on and a guy who was 24-6-4 with a .920 SV% and a 2.27 GAA they could go to..
They won't say it out loud for obvious reasons, but you have to think that Monty did not have confidence in Swayman. Why he didn't idk. Swayman was the better of the two in last year's playoffs after all but clearly, he felt a hobbled Ullmark was better than a healthy Swayman. I (and most of you) think he was wrong.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I do think we needed to load up on the Bennet line. But with a busted Bergeron and Krejci, I dunno what that would look like upfront.

You could have maybe put Lindholm/McAvoy together AT HOME, but on the road the Panthers would have just avoided it.
Which is why you get home ice advantage and win your home games right? That's the plan, or it should be.

We should have anticipated what Tkachuk and Bennett would bring and do and we should have banged them and been physical on them right from the start and onwards. Wear them down. They aren't the type to get intimidated, but they do get angry and take dumb penalties when you get on them and you can hobble them a little. Do to Tkachuk as Tkachuk did to Hathaway.

The biggest thing for me though, in terms of playoff strategy is you hit their D and we didn't do that nearly enough. Their D had no depth and was basically a 4 man unit. You saw how vulnerable they became when Ekblad was out. You have to keep hitting them. You do that and that D would not endure a 7 game series. We didn't though.

We played regular season hockey and they played playoff hockey. A veteran team should have known better even if Monty didn't. Then again, Monty should have known better from St. Louis doing it to us. I had thought he'd use that blueprint, but sadly no.

Ultimately I think this team got arrogant and full of itself. Thought it couldn't lose and when it was up 3-1 it forgot to play harder for a 4th win. Again, a veteran team should have known better, but clearly, they had spent more time reading their press clippings than preparing for the Panthers.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad