Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Devils over Lightning: Farewell Sol’enya

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looks like we're #1 ranked PP atm, just over 30% with 5 teams or so bunched up around 28-29%
PK needs some help at #25
Looking great on GF, on GA not so much but not at the bottom either

I think the high event hockey can last until the core guys run out of gas or get banged up. Hopefully the team continues to get bottom six contributions that can keep the team from having to ride the top six to keep this up. Fast and attacking with young growing players is so much more fun to watch than low event hockey with stop gaps and maybe one complete line like last year. Really remarkable turnaround in one year. Granted they couldn’t have foreseen getting Nico or Bratt turning into the player he is or even the Caps having to dump MarJo. That’s three players who fit the mold essentially from nowhere.

Reactions: mtnet

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Please stop with the excuses for Severson. Moore had a good game by his standard and he keeps on getting shit on, and that's not to say he's very good.

Severson has been in the league for over 3 years and he keeps on making boneheaded play that he shouldn't after playing so many games. For someone who has supposedly that much potential, it's awful. And it's not just yesterday, there's a bad tendacy in his play, and he hasn't been able to correct it whatsoever. If at the very least he was contributing offensively, but he's doing absolutely jack shit. He has to step up.

Yesterday, Santini was our best defenseman on both end of the ice. Santini will be a better defenseman than Severson.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I think this team is legit. I think they are a bubble playoff team. They’re getting a lot of puck luck and they will slow down eventually but I think they are deep enough to be an 8th seed. They have a lot of speed in the bottom 6 which can also be replaced by the system. I think Hynes is the right manager to keep the expectations high and hold the players accountable. The X-factor for me is Schneider- if he has a Vezina season then the Devils are playoff bound. I expect him to be he best goalie in the world by the time the season is over. He is more than capable.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wow, you guys get really dark after an exciting win.

It's been the good ship lollipop since the start of preseason (5-1-1 or whatever it was then, 5-1 now), some people were itching to be able to argue about something :P

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We need to clean up the defense. We've been giving up a lot of chances. 2nd worst in the league in ES goals allowed. Forwards have really been having a lot of problems chasing the wrong guys. We're lucky Schneider has bounced back or a lot of these games would have been fun losses instead of fun wins.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed but thats what Schneider needs to do this season. If Santini plays like the number 1 he did last night then we’re in good shape. Zajac will also improve team defense on return. Schneider is in his prime and needs to claim his crown.

edit: Hischier also improves our team defense. I think even though we don’t have the strongest blueline we are still capable of being a strong defensive team.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think this team is legit. I think they are a bubble playoff team. They’re getting a lot of puck luck and they will slow down eventually but I think they are deep enough to be an 8th seed. They have a lot of speed in the bottom 6 which can also be replaced by the system. I think Hynes is the right manager to keep the expectations high and hold the players accountable. The X-factor for me is Schneider- if he has a Vezina season then the Devils are playoff bound. I expect him to be he best goalie in the world by the time the season is over. He is more than capable.

I really think the positive vibes of having something to play for have brought out the best in him. It has to wear on all the players going through a season like last year. I expect the vast majority are really excited to come to the rink this season.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I really think the positive vibes of having something to play for have brought out the best in him. It has to wear on all the players going through a season like last year. I expect the vast majority are really excited to come to the rink this season.

Agreed. He is the fourth oldest player to play in a game this year on this team. Only one of four to be over 30. That's crazy. I've been following the Devils for 25 years and I've never felt older.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think the most impressive part of Hischier's game last night was his tenacity on the puck late in the game on the boards. He's like Parise in that respect, he's a starving dog on a bone. It drew the penalty we would use to get the game tied.

Every part of his game is perfectly suited to winning games. He's going to be a beast when he gets stronger.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think the most impressive part of Hischier's game last night was his tenacity on the puck late in the game on the boards. He's like Parise in the respect, he's a starving dog on a bone. It drew the penalty we would use to get the game tied.

Every part of his game is perfectly suited to winning games. He's going to be a beast when he gets stronger.

The size and strength narrative makes me question the combine heights and weights. Allegedly he is almost 6’2”. He allegedly weighed approximately 180 pounds. Does anyone believe those numbers anymore? Maybe the 180 but the height? I’m not seeing six foot one and one half inch tall. Maybe my aged eyes are going.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Team will be in the playoff hunt until the end. Offense is legitimate, due to puck pressure and improved transition game. People complaining about surrendering quality chances don't seem to realize how moribund the offense has been in the past. Generating offense was the number one need going forward and it appears that the personnel is fulfilling this need.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The size and strength narrative makes me question the combine heights and weights. Allegedly he is almost 6’2”. He allegedly weighed approximately 180 pounds. Does anyone believe those numbers anymore? Maybe the 180 but the height? I’m not seeing six foot one and one half inch tall. Maybe my aged eyes are going.

I was pretty close to him during warmups, and I'd be surprised if he weights 180 lbs, he's pretty scrawny & lanky. I would have guessed something like 6'0" and 165-170. Even with the pads on he doesnt look very big.

Needs some protein shakes and porterhouses.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
The Devils have played some really opportunistic offensive teams. It's no wonder they're giving up these chances. When they play more defensive teams their defensive game will seem tighter and when they play bad teams their overall game will be better.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This devils team was explicitly built to counter quick teams like Pittsburgh and Toronto.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I was pretty close to him during warmups, and I'd be surprised if he weights 180 lbs, he's pretty scrawny & lanky. I would have guessed something like 6'0" and 165-170. Even with the pads on he doesnt look very big.

Needs some protein shakes and porterhouses.

6 foot means he should be list at around 6’2”. Almost all players have a few inches and pounds more than listed.

I’m just 6’2” and rarely does a player live up to their listed measurements when I’m next to them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yup. When we play bigger old-school teams like the Capitals, we're probably going to struggle a bit.

It only works if they actually play a structured game. Not every team is going to play as near perfect a game as Washington did that night. Even Washington won’t as we say the next night when Philly blitzed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->