Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Devils over Lightning: Farewell Sol’enya

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah I think Zacha was stuck in the moment there. He had his arm out and looked at the official as if to say "no call there, really?" and I think he took what he felt was his only option at the time which was to retaliate.

Now, in time as he matures maybe he just gets in the guy's face and gives him a talking to but at this young age and in the moment, I think he felt it was damned if I do/damned if I don't...so here I go! I'm sure someone will let him know you did the 100% right thing, but perhaps not at the 100% right time.

I have a WAY bigger problem with the official standing there like a statue pretending he saw nothing while Gibbons falls to the ice and stays there. He was looking directly at the entire incident. If he makes that call, the response likely never happens.

There should be a ref penalty box where a red can be sent for two to five minutes depending upon the severity of the lousy refereeing

Reactions: mtnet

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
hall has been great, what are you watching?

I would hardly say "great.". He's been just okay, especially considering his capabilities. Sometimes he just needs to dumb down his game and stop trying to walk though everyone by himself. He needs to learn when is a good time to force a play and when it's not.

I still don't like him on the wall on the PP either, but I don't know where else he would fit. He's actually looked decent there at times this year.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think we have different opinions on what significant levels of "offensive production" are for a defenseman that's considered excellent offensively.

One of the biggest reasons the Devils are having success this season is because virtually every defenseman on this team can get the puck up ice (Butcher, Mueller, Santini) as opposed to just Greene, Severson, and Moore having that ability.

That said, I personally, do not consider Damon Severson to be any sort of wonderkind offensive defenseman. His 4 goals in his last 160 NHL games would seem to suggest I'm correct.

I agree.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Greene blew the kucherov goal

He turned the puck over and was slow to pickup his man.
Greene blew the Namestnikov goal.

On the Kucherov goal:
All I see is Greene playing it exactly like he should have, and Severson leaving his man Kucherov, skating next to Palmieri, trying to hit Stamkos in the middle of the ice trying to push the play offside.

You've got it completely backwards. Severson cuts across trying to make a play and leaves Kucherov alone for the goal, instead of playing it like a 3-on-2 and taking away his side of the ice.

Miscommunication with Palmieri for sure, but that is all on Severson.

zim9fq.jpg

What is Severson doing leaving Kucherov to chase Stamkos in the middle? - it's arguably a 4-on-2.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
On Stamkos's:

Severson had plenty of time to do something with the puck when he decides to reverse. He has options in both corners.

2j5x1t.jpg

He is a little lackadaisical and the forechecker gets in on him. Still has options in both corners or could pin the puck against the wall.
15yx6jr.jpg

and he dribbles the puck into no man's land - where Greene has to make a quick decision whether to leave the net wide open or to try to let off-balance out-of-position Severson deal with it himself. The forechecker is closer and has momentum so he wins the race.

29cryac.jpg

Don't see where this is Greene's fault and not Severson's.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Damon Severson's crap play has been going on for well more than this past game and every other game he's played has been overwhelming. I was bringing it up last year all the time and was giving so much crap for it. The guys has a lot of potential but his defensive play and hockey sense is weak as hell and it's always gonna hold him back. Santini has passed him as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the depth chart and overall potential. Don't get me wrong I think Damon is gonna be a good nhl defensman for a long time but he'll never be that first pairing defensman that many including myself thought he'd be.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
These Severson takes are too hot. "Santini has passed him" is just too much. C'mon dude. He had a nice game, but no. Just no.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Who cares about Severson? We're 5-1 and have an exciting team.

Honestly, some of you can't live without complaining.

Not sustainable. Lots and lots of very good chances given up. I agree it is all gravy today so there's no reason to complain, and Severson is just 23...

Just saying though - if we're ever to become a real playoff team - we'll have to replace the offense-only defensemen we have with more well-rounded guys, or they'll have to progress.

I love our exciting team, and I think the future is bright. Just don't want to be watching Severson turn into John Moore over the next few years - he's got to turn this stuff around.

Reactions: Kurt Cobain

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On Stamkos's:

Severson had plenty of time to do something with the puck when he decides to reverse. He has options in both corners.

2j5x1t.jpg

He is a little lackadaisical and the forechecker gets in on him. Still has options in both corners or could pin the puck against the wall.
15yx6jr.jpg

and he dribbles the puck into no man's land - where Greene has to make a quick decision whether to leave the net wide open or to try to let off-balance out-of-position Severson deal with it himself. The forechecker is closer and has momentum so he wins the race.

29cryac.jpg

Don't see where this is Greene's fault and not Severson's.
But Sev's losing the puck behind the net on it's own does not lead to the goal. It happens.

And I don't mind Greene going to pick up the loose puck.

But if 2 d-men are battling behind the net, the C needs to cover in front. Coleman also went behind the net iirc.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One game? I'm talking about play that went back to last year and this entire season.
Severson is pretty interesting study. His possession #'s are good, his offensive #'s are pretty good. But his offensive skills don't really stand out, while his gaffe's in his own end, most notably pretty consistently making bad passes in front of his own net are glaring.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Mods... lock the thread quick before the, is Severson a 1st pairing defender debate gets going again!

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
yes, Damon Severson is a top 60 DMan in the NHL. aka top pairing. since so many of you love labeling these guys definitively.

I'm just saying what he is and no he's not a number one defensman. Plus your talking to the one person who thinks the whole top 60 defensman are first pairing defensman or top 90 for forward are first liners for a bulk shit theory. He is what he is a 2nd pairing defensman who's average at best defensively and who can put up some points, but usually in bunches. He's got potential but the kid has serious aspects of his game he needs to work on. Plus we just gave him a shot load of money so I think people have the right to be critical of his play when it's not up to par.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If Severson was above average defensively on top of being good offensively (which he is), he'd be a legit #1 DMan. Even first pairing DMen have their warts.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
New Jersey Devils Skaters (All Situations5-on-5EvenPPSHClose5-on-5, Close)

• Share & more
    • output HTML, CSV, or a shareable link.">Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • suitable for use with excel">Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)Copy Link to Table to Clipboard
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
  • or hold your mouse over the header">Glossary
New Jersey Devils Skaters (All Situations5-on-5EvenPPSHClose5-on-5, Close) Table
PlayeriCFSAT‑FSAT‑APct. of Corsi For events vs. opponent while on ice" data-stat="corsi_for">CF%
when that player is on-ice vs. when not" data-stat="corsi_rel">CRel%ZSOZSDoZS%HITBLK
Taylor Hall7301763.825.38466.710
Jimmy Hayes012763.218.74736.410
Pavel Zacha7231659.016.66650.000
Damon Severson7261957.815.910662.520
Nico Hischier4262155.312.46460.000
Drew Stafford8262155.312.46460.021
Brian Gibbons3171454.89.93730.000
Andy Greene2252451.06.171335.000
Steven Santini6202346.5-0.931814.330
Jesper Bratt2121544.4-3.34450.000
Marcus Johansson0162044.4-3.67846.700
Miles Wood16842.9-4.71712.530
Kyle Palmieri6172342.5-6.59852.932
Will Butcher2141942.4-6.25271.401
Adam Henrique3142337.8-12.791047.401
Blake Coleman261037.5-10.9080.022
John Moore3162935.6-17.131417.623
Mirco Mueller2163034.8-18.54544.41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is from last night's game. Few things about this:

1. Severson's had a good corsi game, but he also starts in the offensive zone over 60% of the time.
2. Mirco Mueller was bad last night.
3. Steve Santini had a good game considering he played 25 minutes and started in the offensive zone 14% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->