GDT: 5/23/18 - 8:00PM EDT - #1M Washington VS #1A Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev, Point, and Vasy are absolutely untouchable. They’re our offensive and defensive futures.

Kucherov and Hedman are the next tier down. Would take a massive steal to trade these guys. But it’s near impossible.

Everyone else is expendable IMO.

Johnson and Killorn should be the first two gone. Whatever SY can do to make that happen.

Sergachev's never going to be a #1D, so he can't be untouchable.

Point is very good, and I'd consider him untouchable, but Kucherov is a tier above him. And Hedman, who's probably about to win a Norris, is one of the more untouchable players in the NHL.

I get that a lot of these players just had a bad series. But you don't judge their careers based on a handful of bad games, especially when they have a long history of being big game players.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Sergachev will be better than Hedman.

We get it. You’re Kucherov’s hype man. I didn’t bash him this time. I literally only put him behind Point as far as forwards go.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I wouldn’t be so hard on Miller if he didn’t already have the reputation with Rangers fans as being playoff cancer.

Our D to me is the biggest issue. Stralman is the only guy who is pretty consistent. And we’re not getting any younger. I think we’re going to see a big shift in the next few years of sacrificing some of our forward depth for defense/draft picks that we’ll use on Dmen.

Stralman was bad this round he is typically our most consistent. Our most dominant in Hedman didn't really excel but I don't think he was dreadful like McDonagh. At this point, is rather see Sergachev at #2LD than McDonagh. No need to keep him behind a guy who played like shit for us when it mattered. Give the kid more time.

I get that you're disappointed. I'm with you on Killer and TJ. They signed nice contracts and then vanished. It's probably time to move on from them.

BUT, try to keep in mind that neither McD nor Miller had any say in being traded. They didn't screw us over. It is what it is. We thought they were the pieces we needed and they weren't. Just one of those things.

I don't see it that way that I blame them on that regard but they're pros. We brought them in to play like it and they hardly did. Miller was a complete non factor after lighting the lamp regularly post trade. McDonagh looked alright in round 2. Then it went downhill for him.
The 2016 Pens team that beat us was otherworldly. That's one of the most dominant playoff teams we're ever going to see in the cap era.
pretty much but even then we were the closest to beating them that year. If it wasn't for puck luck and a disallowed goal we almost scraped by with injuries there too.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sergachev, Point, and Vasy are absolutely untouchable. They’re our offensive and defensive futures.

Kucherov and Hedman are the next tier down. Would take a massive steal to trade these guys. But it’s near impossible.

Stralman is next tier.

Everyone else is expendable IMO.

Johnson and Killorn should be the first two gone. Whatever SY can do to make that happen.

Stralman is in what next tier? The next tier out of town? Dude is getting old and doesn't have anything left come late in the playoffs. He's very expendable.

Killorn is more than fine. Dude makes less than 4.5 and averaged about 45 points. Good all around player and was one of the most dangerous players in the playoffs even though he couldn't score as much. Johnson is just unnecessary with Point around, Point is old Johnson but even better. Gourde sucked in the playoffs but can do what Johnson can at a discount. Johnson isn't needed anymore and we have plenty of wings just waiting. Miller sucks, I miss Namestnikov.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I don't see it that way that I blame them on that regard but they're pros. Stralman was bad this round he is typically our most consistent. Our most dominant in Hedman didn't really excel but I don't think he was dreadful like McDonagh. At this point, is rather see Sergachev at #2LD than McDonagh. No need to keep him behind a guy who played like **** for us when it mattered. Give the kid more time.

I don't see it that way that I blame them on that regard but they're pros. We brought them in to play like it and they hardly did. Miller was a complete non factor after lighting the lamp regularly post trade. McDonagh looked alright in round 2. Then it went downhill for him.
pretty much but even then we were the closest to beating them that year. If it wasn't for puck luck and a disallowed goal we almost scraped by with injuries there too.

No I meant I would have given Miller a pass for one bad postseason, but he already had a reputation for being shitty in that regard. Yzerman has gotta be second guessing that move now.

I think Cooper made a huge mistake riding McD, and even Hedman to an extent, as hard as he did with Sergachev getting freaking 10 min a game. At some point you have to give the kid more minutes when your vets look dog tired and are making mental mistakes left and right.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Stralman is in what next tier? The next tier out of town? Dude is getting old and doesn't have anything left come late in the playoffs. He's very expendable.

Killorn is more than fine. Dude makes less than 4.5 and averaged about 45 points. Good all around player and was one of the most dangerous players in the playoffs even though he couldn't score as much. Johnson is just unnecessary with Point around, Point is old Johnson but even better. Gourde sucked in the playoffs but can do what Johnson can at a discount. Johnson isn't needed anymore and we have plenty of wings just waiting. Miller sucks, I miss Namestnikov.

Gotta imagine Names is quite sad seeing what happened but probably smiling at how crap his replacement was. I genuinely think Names would've been better. Miller played smaller than Gourde this round bar a few hits, including his one on Orpik tonight.

Yeah I'm not happy with Stralman. I gave him a pass in 2016 cause of his leg injury and blowing against the Pens but he had a lot of bad games this postseason. Coburn actually wasn't horrid the last two months.

Sucks we are talking untouchables and going forward when we led this series at 3-2. Just can't believe Cooper couldn't devise a plan to get past their blue line.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

Killorn is a joke. How he’s staved off Conacher this long I’ll never know.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I mean, I still think Miller and McD not living up to our expectations is kind of on us. Besides, McD was better than Dotchin, Sustr, or Koekoek would have been, and Miller was at least as good as Vlad would have been. That's how I see it, anyway.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
No I meant I would have given Miller a pass for one bad postseason, but he already had a reputation for being ****ty in that regard. Yzerman has gotta be second guessing that move now.

I think Cooper made a huge mistake riding McD, and even Hedman to an extent, as hard as he did with Sergachev getting freaking 10 min a game. At some point you have to give the kid more minutes when your vets look dog tired and are making mental mistakes left and right.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah. He looked like he was going to be an improvement especially the way he started against Jersey but he just disappeared. That backfired.

Sergachev was probably the 2md best defenseman if you take TOI and on ice performances into consideration.

I'd say;

1. Hedman
2. Sergachev
3. Coburn

4. Stralman
5. Girardi
6. McDonagh

Top three imo were absolutely 77, Sergachev and Coburn. Coburn played a simple game and didn't blow it like he did nearly all year. You can rearrange the last three however you like. Girardi was really good and then at times really bad. Tonight was unfortunate but it was a bad time to be unfortunate. I thought outside of 4 games against Boston, McDonagh was probably our worst defenseman. He was incredibly slow and looked lost when heading into a corner. Complete trainwreck after games 2-5 against Boston. He looked so out of place.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I mean, I still think Miller and McD not living up to our expectations is kind of on us. Besides, McD was better than Dotchin, Sustr, or Koekoek would have been, and Miller was at least as good as Vlad would have been. That's how I see it, anyway.
I can see that with Miller given his track record but McDonaghs defending was an absolute mess. He was so out of place retrieving pucks. He would get there first or be within reach and STILL give it away - repeatedly. At least the f***ing giraffe would ice his raisin but no, McDonagh and Stralman with the limp wrist clearances failed repeatedly. Hockey 101 fails.

Sergachev needs more minutes next year in a top 4 role. Leave McDonagh in the press box if it means Sergachev is getting less time. More 98 and less of McDonagh.

Yzerman needs to leave the Rangers and small forward avenue and take a trip down big forward and gritty defenseman lane. Need a new direction to start heading.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev will be better than Hedman.

We get it. You’re Kucherov’s hype man. I didn’t bash him this time. I literally only put him behind Point as far as forwards go.

Okay, there's no point in responding to you. You can't see past what happened in the last week or so and are projecting careers based on that.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I can see that with Miller given his track record but McDonaghs defending was an absolute mess. He was so out of place retrieving pucks. He would get there first or be within reach and STILL give it away - repeatedly. At least the ****ing giraffe would ice his raisin but no, McDonagh and Stralman with the limp wrist clearances failed repeatedly. Hockey 101 fails.

Sergachev needs more minutes next year in a top 4 role. Leave McDonagh in the press box if it means Sergachev is getting less time. More 98 and less of McDonagh.

Yzerman needs to leave the Rangers and small forward avenue and take a trip down big forward and gritty defenseman lane. Need a new direction to start heading.
There are definitely some changes that need to be made, but Washington would have had a field day with either of our popcorn boys, or our popcorn giraffe.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stralman was bad this round he is typically our most consistent. Our most dominant in Hedman didn't really excel but I don't think he was dreadful like McDonagh. At this point, is rather see Sergachev at #2LD than McDonagh. No need to keep him behind a guy who played like **** for us when it mattered. Give the kid more time.

That's what I mean. We could easily be the 2nd best team in 3/4 years (if Washington goes on to win). I just think we have to be level-headed and realize both how hard it is to win a cup and also how close we have been. Sometimes I think high expectations make fans forget how few teams have this much success. I mean, just look at Washington. Sometimes it takes a long time.

I don't know. We might turn into the San Jose Sharks East, but I think it's way too early to think like that. Our core is all 28 and under, we have several guys on the farm who look like NHL players, and a few of them are probably going to be impact players.

Very few franchises, if any, are in as good a spot as we are. But winning a cup is hard and it takes a lot of luck.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gotta imagine Names is quite sad seeing what happened but probably smiling at how crap his replacement was. I genuinely think Names would've been better. Miller played smaller than Gourde this round bar a few hits, including his one on Orpik tonight.

Yeah I'm not happy with Stralman. I gave him a pass in 2016 cause of his leg injury and blowing against the Pens but he had a lot of bad games this postseason. Coburn actually wasn't horrid the last two months.

Sucks we are talking untouchables and going forward when we led this series at 3-2. Just can't believe Cooper couldn't devise a plan to get past their blue line.

I think Namestnikov would have been decapitated in the Washington series. Don't get me wrong: Miller was likely our worst player. But he was still better than Playoff Namestnikov.

Although, and I hate to say this, Miller did look a LOT like Teddy Purcell in this series, and particularly tonight.

I think the mistake we made with Stralman was giving him the toughest assignments more often than not. Since his broken leg, he's excelled (a lot) in a reduced role, but not so much when we're asking him to defend top guys. Round 2 is an exception to that, but I think the Point line deserves most of that credit.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I think Namestnikov would have been decapitated in the Washington series. Don't get me wrong: Miller was likely our worst player. But he was still better than Playoff Namestnikov.

Although, and I hate to say this, Miller did look a LOT like Teddy Purcell in this series, and particularly tonight.

I think the mistake we made with Stralman was giving him the toughest assignments more often than not. Since his broken leg, he's excelled (a lot) in a reduced role, but not so much when we're asking him to defend top guys. Round 2 is an exception to that, but I think the Point line deserves most of that credit.

Probably but he's russian. He would probably survive it. Lol. At least he is faster. Miller looked like he was made of glass and skating on thin ice. He looked afraid to even do anything all series. Cirelli outplayed him and he's like 123lbs and 4 foot tall.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably but he's russian. He would probably survive it. Lol. At least he is faster. Miller looked like he was made of glass and skating on thin ice. He looked afraid to even do anything all series. Cirelli outplayed him and he's like 123lbs and 4 foot tall.

All true. I just have vivid memories of Namestnikov getting ragdolled/smashed/blown into the second row by a stray gust of wind. Miller was pretty awful, but Namestnikov is one of the worst playoff performers I've ever seen. At least Miller had a solid Round 1.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
All true. I just have vivid memories of Namestnikov getting ragdolled/smashed/blown into the second row by a stray gust of wind. Miller was pretty awful, but Namestnikov is one of the worst playoff performers I've ever seen. At least Miller had a solid Round 1.

Lol Lovejoy is still icing his ass right now.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Hats off to you guys. Tough series, and we were fortunate to come out on top this time around. Best wishes for good summer and hopefully we’ll do the East proud in Finals. Look forward to battling again starting next fall.

Reactions: Lightning1995

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
That's what I mean. We could easily be the 2nd best team in 3/4 years (if Washington goes on to win). I just think we have to be level-headed and realize both how hard it is to win a cup and also how close we have been. Sometimes I think high expectations make fans forget how few teams have this much success. I mean, just look at Washington. Sometimes it takes a long time.

I don't know. We might turn into the San Jose Sharks East, but I think it's way too early to think like that. Our core is all 28 and under, we have several guys on the farm who look like NHL players, and a few of them are probably going to be impact players.

Very few franchises, if any, are in as good a spot as we are. But winning a cup is hard and it takes a lot of luck.
Well said. That’s how it looks from the outside, too. Plus, you have the best GM in hockey IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad