2nd​
|
+4
|
59.4​

Graduated: Esa Lindell, Radek Faksa, Stephen Johns, Brett Ritchie, Devin Shore
Not retained: Mattias Backman

2012 Draft: Ludwig Bystrom, Gemel Smith
2013 Draft: Jason Dickinson, Remi Elie, Philippe Desrosiers, Niklas Hansson, Cole Ully
2014 Draft: Julius Honka, Michael Prapavessis, Miro Karjalainen, John Nyberg
2015 Draft: Denis Guryanov, Roope Hintz, Chris Martenet, Joseph Cecconi, Markus Ruusu
2016 Draft: Riley Tufte, Fredrik Karlstrom, Rhett Gardner, Colton Point, Nicholas Caamano, Jakob Stenqvist
2017 Draft: Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger, Jason Robertson, Liam Hawel, Jacob Peterson, Brett Davis

Signed: Gavin Bayreuther, Landon Bow, Ondrej Vala

Traded for: Dillon Heatherington

Up next:

Gavin Bayreuther
Nicholas Caamano
Jason Dickinson
Remi Elie
Niklas Hansson
Fredrik Karlstrom
John Nyberg
Jake Oettinger
Jason Robertson
Riley Tufte

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Summer 2016 Top 20 Prospects

|
Prospect​
|
Pos.​
|
Country​
|
Acquired​
|
Round​
|
Change​
|
% of Vote​
| Julius Honka |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
|
2014​
|
1st​
|
-
|
78.6​
| Esa Lindell |
D​
|
|
2012​
|
3rd​
|
+1
|
33.3​
| Denis Guryanov |
RW​
|
25px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
|
2015​
|
1st​
|
|
41.9​
| Jason Dickinson |
C/W​
|
25px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
|
2013​
|
1st​
|
-
|
52.2​
| Radek Faksa |
C​
|
25px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
|
2012​
|
1st​
|
+6
|
64.3​
| Stephen Johns |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
|
Trade​
|
-​
|
+1
|
54.2​
| Riley Tufte |
LW​
|
|
2016​
|
1st​
|
New
|
31.0​
| Brett Ritchie |
RW​
|
|
2011​
|
2nd​
|
|
46.4​
| Devin Shore |
C​
|
|
2012​
|
2nd​
|
|
57.7​
| Roope Hintz |
LW​
|
|
2015​
|
2nd​
|
+5
|
AINEC​
| Niklas Hansson |
D​
|
25px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
|
2013​
|
3rd​
|
New
|
34.8​
| Mattias Backman |
D​
|
|
Trade​
|
-​
|
New
|
47.6​
| Philippe Desrosiers |
G​
|
|
2013​
|
2nd​
|
|
57.1​
| Cole Ully |
LW​
|
|
2013​
|
5th​
|
+2
|
47.4​
| Chris Martenet |
D​
|
|
2015​
|
4th​
|
New
|
36.8​
| Michael Prapavessis |
D​
|
|
2014​
|
4th​
|
New
|
35.3​
| Remi Elie |
LW​
|
|
2013​
|
2nd​
|
|
64.7​
| Fredrik Karlstrom |
C​
|
|
2016​
|
3rd​
|
New
|
25.0​
| Colton Point |
G​
|
|
2016​
|
5th​
|
New
|
47.1​
| Matej Stransky |
RW​
|
25px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
|
2011​
|
6th​
|
New
|
28.6​

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Toss up for me between Robertson and Tufte. Going to with Robertson. He should have no problem improving his skating, which isn't all that bad anyways

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Voted Robertson for 4, so obviously going with him again. For me it's...

- Heiskanen
- Honka
- Guryanov
- Robertson
- Hintz
- Tufte

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Curious as to why people have Dickinson over Robertson.

Robertson posted better numbers in his draft year on an ~~okay~~ Kingston team than Dickinson did in his Draft+1 (OHL Champions) and Draft+2 seasons.

Is it because Dickinson is more NHL ready? I was high on Dickinson previously but the surgery really seemed to set him back.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Curious as to why people have Dickinson over Robertson.

Robertson posted better numbers in his draft year on an ~~okay~~ Kingston team than Dickinson did in his Draft+1 (OHL Champions) and Draft+2 seasons.

Is it because Dickinson is more NHL ready? I was high on Dickinson previously but the surgery really seemed to set him back.

I voted Dickinson because I think he is good enough to fill a middle 6 role right now. Robertson has top 6 potential but is still years away and is still an unknown to an extent

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I voted Dickinson because I think he is good enough to fill a middle 6 role right now. Robertson has top 6 potential but is still years away and is still an unknown to an extent

Remi Elie was fine when he filled a middle 6 role at the end of last year too.

I think Robertson's high ceiling >>>> Dickinson's NHL "readiness"

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Went Robertson, pretty clear choice in terms of potential. Putting up 42 in his draft year is more impressive than anything Dickinson has done.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Remi Elie was fine when he filled a middle 6 role at the end of last year too.

I think Robertson's high ceiling >>>> Dickinson's NHL "readiness"

Elie was fine but Elie is a 4th liner and doesnt have more than bottom 6 upside. He is like Rooster but with stone hands. I like the kid but he wont get much better in my opinion. Dickinson is better than him right now and could step into a 3rd line role right now and can still become a 2nd line winger.

ready for the 3rd line with possible 2nd line upside > top 6 potential if he fixes his skating 2nd rounder in terms of prospect rankings.

If Robertson adjusts his skating and produces at a similar rate this year then he likely jumps up to #2 on my rankings behind Heiskanen

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Elie was consistently getting 15 mins a night when he was called up and was trusted to play with Spezza and Seguin. He may have been playing above his role, but the last time I looked those aren't 4th liners.

Who's saying Dickinson is ready for third line duties? Nothing I've seen yet has shown that. At most he's a potential third liner right now since he really isn't breaking the NHL door down yet.

Robertson's skating issues are overblown. It's not even an issue for me.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Elie was consistently getting 15 mins a night when he was called up and was trusted to play with Spezza and Seguin. He may have been playing above his role, but the last time I looked those aren't 4th liners.

Who's saying Dickinson is ready for third line duties? Nothing I've seen yet has shown that. At most he's a potential third liner right now since he really isn't breaking the NHL door down yet.

Robertson's skating issues are overblown. It's not even an issue for me.

The same coach also had Lindell playing above his head. Ruff was just horrible with placing people in the line. Elie with skilled players was a disaster because he didnt have the passing to set them up or the hands to finish when set up. Also playing with with top line players does not make you a top line player. Elie still was a 4th line while playing with Spezza and Seguin just like Eakin was still a bottom 6 center while playing with Benn (This is in terms of ability not actual position in the line up)

As for Dickinson he is a 200 foot player and has solid offensive production. Took a bit of a step back because of the surgery but had it not been for that he wouldnt even be in this poll because he would have graduated.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
From what I've gathered, Robertson's main problem is his first step. I feel like that will be improved as he adds strength.

His scoring ability is pretty well beyond that of any other prospect we have.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dickinson for me here. Think he's got top 6 potential still, and I expect him to make an impact this year.

I don't have Robertson over Oettinger.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Dickinson for me here. Think he's got top 6 potential still, and I expect him to make an impact this year.

I don't have Robertson over Oettinger.

I went with Dickinson over Robertson because he is more of a known quantity for me, because of his all-around game, and because he is a Center....a good one.

Dickinson is a very good, two-way Center that brings a good amount of intangibles and grit. He's like Faksa, but with more offensive upside. His shot is VERY good, and he can release it at speed. Dickinson has the feel that he could produce more offensively if he wasn't so focused on his all-around game...which is a good problem to have. He's not Modano-talent by any stretch, but it feels like he's holding himself back offensively for the sake of winning like Modano did under the instruction of Gainey and Hitchcock.

My understanding of Robertson is that he is more one-dimensional, but it would appear that he COULD have more goal scoring ability. He was noticeable in the games I where I was watching Rassanen. I had to look him up on hockeydb after seeing him fly down the wing and score...which is why I scratch my head with all the reports of his iffy skating to a certain degree. Again I didn't watch him extensively enough, but his skating is not poor.

Someone had mentioned that Dickinson hadn't put up the numbers that Robertson did in his draft year...but that doesn't really tell the whole story...Dickinson's Junior stats mean next to nothing because he was stuck behind Fabbri as the 2nd Line Center even through half of his Draft Year +2 season with Guelph, whereas Robertson is playing on the top line.

I really like both prospects, and want to watch more of Robertson when I get a chance. I especially like his unreal production in the post-season.

Both will be NHLers.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
It feels weird to say that a 2nd round pick a month ago seems like a lock to be an impact player in the NHL, but I kind of feel that way with Robertson.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
It feels weird to say that a 2nd round pick a month ago seems like a lock to be an impact player in the NHL, but I kind of feel that way with Robertson.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't a NHL player..."lock to be an impact player"...I wouldn't go that far yet. He's a big scoring winger who is driving the offense and putting up really good numbers on a poor team in the OHL. Low bust risk IMO.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Went back and re-read what various outlets say about Robertson, and it does seem as if he may have been a steal. Like others, I looked for his skating at prospect camp. Other than a little hop to get started, it was similar to others there. Of course, 90% of those in camp don't have NHL skating ability.

Also, while his shot is good, so many players have great junior or even AHL shots, and it is just short of being fast release/shot velocity at the NHL level. Think Junior Lessard and Jon Sim, among many other examples.

So, time will tell, but now is the time for optimism. I still say we over do it on the new prospects, and undervalue those closer to the NHL, because we have seen more warts on the guys who have been around a few years. Also, we factor in injuries, in the case like JD, its really hard to get a true ranking, but its fun, so carry on!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad