GDT: 5/13/18 - 8:00PM EDT - #1M Washington VS #1A Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why not? You said yourself, we have the horses. Like I said, I've missed most of this series so far, sadly. But, if we get that relentless forecheck going, and don't give them the opportunity to organize, we can beat them. I know it's sounding a bit like me saying, "well, play better, and we win," but you catch my drift. We are playing uninterested, timid hockey.
Just at a tactical level - you can't always manage a swift breakout. If the pass is there, or the lane is there - take it, but Washington doesn't leave a ton of gaps to take advantage of.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Captain Obvious here, BUT;

A lot of analysis and a lot of valid points, but IMO, if our finishers would finish instead of missing open nets when they are yawning there in front of them we wouldn't look like a bunch of beaten puppy dogs out there. Despite the lopsided losses, just one or two more even strength goals at the right moment (that instead went sailing over or past the open net) could have changed everything.

ES Goals = Energy + Momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I've noticed another thing. Maybe more serious.
During the Cooper era, since the 2014 season, we've done many post season appearance.
2014) Lost in 4 against Habs...In our roster there were tons of injuries.
2015) Lost in SCF, against a great team like Chicago.
2016) Lost in ECF against a great team like Penguins
2017) Shame
2018) If we'll continue like that, we'll lose in thje ECF against a great team like Capitals.
So? If our Tampa meets a very good team, it's quite sure that we'll lose the series.
Chicago-Pittsburgh-Washington.
But we were in enormous troubles also in the first round of the 2015 post season, against Detroit. And these Red Wings were not the Yzerman's ones xD xD xD
It's a serious situation because we cannot pretend to defeat Buffalo-Florida-NJ- Arizona to win the Cup.
We've to fight against hard opponent if we want to raise the Cup.
And against great team, the records are horrible.
I can accept an horrible record if we've a bad roster. But, as I've written in my last post, I think we've a high level roster.
In those runs, we have beaten great teams.

The Rangers were the class of the East when we beat them in '15.
The Bruins were a popular Cup pick this season and we took them down in 5.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how hard it is to win a Cup. Coaches get fired for losing in the second round every year with a stacked team (e.g. Trotz's reputation before this season). They don't often get fired after 3 deep runs in 4 years.

Obviously, we look like shit right now. But all it takes is 2 bad games for everyone to turn in to Chicken Little around here. I'm not saying Cooper isn't to blame - but I think his issues are exaggerated around here when our team plays poorly, and I think a lot of people on the fire Cooper train will be very disappointed this summer.

Reactions: Hoek

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bowness coaches the D (but the D are within the system), and the PK.

The primary issue is the PK. It doesn't make sense on two levels. It's out of step with how we play at even strength. Even strength we're aggressive on pucks and use our speed. Suddenly on the PK we are passive. It doesn't fit the make up of the team at all.

Also - I believe that Sustr's usage over the past 3 years is a direct result of Bowness being obsessed with reach over skill.
Issue is not pk only we have one 5 on 5 goal in two games vs the caps! There dominating us on 5 on 5 just like we were vs the devils and bruins

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper will fix it!
Well I would change the lines! Do Miller , point and kucherov line one. Line two do palat, stamkos and Johnson. Then I’d stick hedman and stralman onto ovies hip the rest of the series! Then I’d hope vasy can start making some saves and not give up juicy rebounds right in front!

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
In those runs, we have beaten great teams.

The Rangers were the class of the East when we beat them in '15.
The Bruins were a popular Cup pick this season and we took them down in 5.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how hard it is to win a Cup. Coaches get fired for losing in the second round every year with a stacked team (e.g. Trotz's reputation before this season). They don't often get fired after 3 deep runs in 4 years.

Obviously, we look like **** right now. But all it takes is 2 bad games for everyone to turn in to Chicken Little around here. I'm not saying Cooper isn't to blame - but I think his issues are exaggerated around here when our team plays poorly, and I think a lot of people on the fire Cooper train will be very disappointed this summer.
My only doubt about fire or not Cooper is that, imho, there're not too many good coaches available.
I mean...Vigneault, Therrien, Sutter, Johnston (xD xD) are not amazing solutions.
Btw I don't agree too much with you: the Bruins were a good team, without any doubt...also the Rangers were.
But both of them were not as good as the biggest team we met.
It's unacceptable to play an ECF series in that way, btw. Cause the coaching staff could train a roster that is complete and ready to win.
If the staff is not able to do that, "bye bye".
I know it's hard to win a Cup. But I'm familiar (unfortunately for me) with another sport: soccer.
Consider the Real Madrid football club, one of the greatest soccer team in the world. If Madrid manager won't win the Champions League, I'm sure that he'll fired. And, now, I want to do the same with Tampa, only because I consider our roster, more or less, like the Real Madrid one. One of the best in the world.
In the end...I can accept that the result is not the only important thing. But if our team cannot compete to win (and playing like these 2 days we're not competitive)...I think it's a problem.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
My only doubt about fire or not Cooper is that, imho, there're not too many good coaches available.
I mean...Vigneault, Therrien, Sutter, Johnston (xD xD) are not amazing solutions.
Btw I don't agree too much with you: the Bruins were a good team, without any doubt...also the Rangers were.
But both of them were not as good as the biggest team we met.
It's unacceptable to play an ECF series in that way, btw. Cause the coaching staff could train a roster that is complete and ready to win.
If the staff is not able to do that, "bye bye".
I know it's hard to win a Cup. But I'm familiar (unfortunately for me) with another sport: soccer.
Consider the Real Madrid football club, one of the greatest soccer team in the world. If Madrid manager won't win the Champions League, I'm sure that he'll fired. And, now, I want to do the same with Tampa, only because I consider our roster, more or less, like the Real Madrid one. One of the best in the world.
In the end...I can accept that the result is not the only important thing. But if our team cannot compete to win (and playing like these 2 days we're not competitive)...I think it's a problem.
The Rangers won the President's Trophy that year and had the best record in the NHL. The Bruins were absolutely spectacular in the second half and had the 4th best record in the NHL.

Both of those teams were very good teams.

Hockey is a bit different than soccer. No team is head and shoulders above another roster-wise in the NHL, but in soccer the usual suspects (Real Madrid) usually dominate other teams. Big money goes into those teams. If you can't win it all at Real Madrid, you deserve to be fired. I'm not sure if I can say that about any NHL team. You can think we have the best roster in the NHL - but it will always be up for debate.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Does anyone think we don't have the best roster top to bottom in the NHL?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Our roster's good enough when everyone's playing well. Subjectively it's the best, objectively every contender in the current era is icing a team good enough to win it all. Generally speaking, at this time of the year it comes down to desire, focus, coaching, and luck.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Does anyone think we don't have the best roster top to bottom in the NHL?
We are a elite team but Nashville is stacked !Tampa bay is stacked !Pittsburgh is still elite !Boston is very good !and Winnipeg is stacked up. Yes I think Tampa bay is deeper and better then Washington but Washington is still very good. Toronto is coming if they can ever fix there blue line as becoming elite. Vegas is deep but does not have the one or two legit star players. Point is there are probably 5-7 elite teams in the nhl and we are one of them but I wouldn’t say we are the beat one.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The Rangers won the President's Trophy that year and had the best record in the NHL. The Bruins were absolutely spectacular in the second half and had the 4th best record in the NHL.

Both of those teams were very good teams.

Hockey is a bit different than soccer. No team is head and shoulders above another roster-wise in the NHL, but in soccer the usual suspects (Real Madrid) usually dominate other teams. Big money goes into those teams. If you can't win it all at Real Madrid, you deserve to be fired. I'm not sure if I can say that about any NHL team. You can think we have the best roster in the NHL - but it will always be up for debate.
I've appreciated your post :)
Of course the hockey and NHL situation is very different from the soccer one. But, the general thing I wanted to say is that if your roster did not show all his quality and skills...we've a problem.
I've seen the 2016-17 season with all his problems and now I've seen this season, since the All-Star Break. I've tried to defend the team, also here, saying "Come on, don't worry. In the key moments we'll show our qualities"...And then? We're arrived at these key moments and we'v played like that. Absurd.
I mean: the problem is not the result. The problem is that our team has not show nothing in this series.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Just at a tactical level - you can't always manage a swift breakout. If the pass is there, or the lane is there - take it, but Washington doesn't leave a ton of gaps to take advantage of.
And they're literally waiting for us to press too hard. We need to be way more patient. Force them to meet us on our terms, not the other way around. Defense needs to be our default. Can't trade defense for offense or we'll keep getting burned. We should probably opt for quick, precision strikes with one or two guys only when the opportunities arise as opposed to pressing with everyone and getting burned by the counter.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I would put Point with Stamkos. Point has the best handles on our team and Stamkos is the only forward trying to make a difference right now. Take advantage of it. Maybe Point can set up some plays for him.

Let Kuch go back to being the babysitter for the kids.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The problem with TB is the gameplan doesn't change. Whether that's on the coach or players, I'm not trying to debate.

Just like the tweet I posted earlier. Down 3 goals and we're still doing the same stuff (mostly cross ice passes, cause TB) and Washington has us dead to rights. They know exactly what we're going to do, because it's all we do. Against teams that aren't built for it, you can succeed. Devils were a one dude team mostly. Real questionable goaltending. Boston was a one line team. Non existent depth on D.

The Caps are not those things. They have depth up front, as evidenced by pretty much their entire team shredding us. It's not just line 1. Their D is solid and they have solid goaltending. You're not going to beat that by doing the same thing. You're just not. We pass...WAY too much. That's the beginning and end of it. I understanding wanting the open look, but when you're down 3 goals, just shoot the damn puck. You may not score a goal if you just throw it at the net, but you definitely won't score a goal by passing cross ice and letting the Caps take possession, since that's what they've done so far.

The D has no clue what's going on. If Stralman isn't hiding some kind of injury, he's regressed faster than anyone I've ever seen because he looks terrible. Constantly turning pucks over, constantly getting beat to 50/50 plays and yet again the inability to clear the zone and relieve pressure. It's the last few months of the regular season all over again.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why would you tune out a coach in the CF after you have gotten there (in 10 games no less) playing the system? Makes no sense to tune out a coach in the Conference Finals, but at no time before.

It looks to me like they're playing the system but the Caps are ready for it. Sky mentioned the defensemen pinching, but I think that's coming from Cooper/Bowness too, because (aside from Sustr) it seems like we do it more and more as our situation gets more dire. For instance, I don't think Coburn makes the pinch that led to the Caps' final goal if we weren't down by 3, and he seemed a little indecisive about making it (which I think is what made it unsuccessful).

They looked so ready for our offense. Even Brayden Point has been more/less ineffective.

I think the answers have to come from Cooper. We need some sort of adjustment. I don't think it's a question of effort.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It looks to me like they're playing the system but the Caps are ready for it. Sky mentioned the defensemen pinching, but I think that's coming from Cooper/Bowness too, because (aside from Sustr) it seems like we do it more and more as our situation gets more dire. For instance, I don't think Coburn makes the pinch that led to the Caps' final goal if we weren't down by 3, and he seemed a little indecisive about making it (which I think is what made it unsuccessful).

They looked so ready for our offense. Even Brayden Point has been more/less ineffective.

I think the answers have to come from Cooper. We need some sort of adjustment. I don't think it's a question of effort.
Our forecheck has a weakness - if you clear it up the walls we'll eat you alive, but if you have someone ready in the middle of the ice the breakout is more effective.

But I still don't think that's exactly what's happening. We're not forcing their Dmen into making quick decisions. Our forecheck has just been too slow.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

And the broken record keeps on spinning. I'm pretty sure we heard variations on this tune after game 1 as well. Eventually, you run out of opportunities for the cliche lip service.

Reactions: Stammertime91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->