Post-Game Talk: #5 - 10/18/19 | RANGERS @ capitals

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I’m saying if we set the ceiling a bit lower to the most likely reality of the situation, the progression is more normal.

I'm not sure it has to do with fan expectations. Chytil is worse than last year. Howden is worse than last year. Skjei is worse. Buchnevich is the same.

The only youts who have improved are Andersson and DeAngelo and both are somehow in Quinn's dog house.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Didn’t we replace AV with Quinn so he wouldn’t play **** veterans over the young skilled kids with potential? I don’t understand. I wouldn’t mind losing every single game so long as the kids got ice time. Chytil needs to be called up, kakko needs to be given PP1 in place of buch, and andersson needs to be given much more ice time than howden. ****ing our 7th defensemen is on our third line instead of lias...
AV was replaced with Quinn so he would coach kids how each one needed to be coached

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Didn’t we replace AV with Quinn so he wouldn’t play **** veterans over the young skilled kids with potential? I don’t understand. I wouldn’t mind losing every single game so long as the kids got ice time. Chytil needs to be called up, kakko needs to be given PP1 in place of buch, and andersson needs to be given much more ice time than howden. ****ing our 7th defensemen is on our third line instead of lias...

We replaced Av to develop players and play them when they are ready. I have no problem with Kravtsov and Chytil starting in Hartford as we arent a cup team this year. There is no use forcing things, it's a rebuild no matter how much we expected certain players to come in and be stars, sometimes players take longer ie Scheifle. I still have a lot of belief in Chytil, Kravtsov, Anderson, Howden, Hajek and Buchnevich (once he is slotted correctly on in the middle 6.)

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
AV was replaced with Quinn so he would coach kids how each one needed to be coached

Yes but I thought his coaching philosophy was “deserve your ice time”. I understand krav and Chytil being sent down, but the performance of, for example, Lias, has been much better than howden, Smith, and Strome, so why isn’t he given ice time. It’s just very frustrating and I hope I’m overreacting.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yes but I thought his coaching philosophy was “deserve your ice time”. I understand krav and Chytil being sent down, but the performance of, for example, Lias, has been much better than howden, Smith, and Strome, so why isn’t he given ice time. It’s just very frustrating and I hope I’m overreacting.

I thought we hate Lias?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
well he did this with Howden last year who got his skull caved in so it goes both ways

getting pink socked every night isn’t good regardless of the kids getting ice time. that doesn’t mean i’d ice useless garbage like marc staal over kids but you should always have some level of insulation for them

Reactions: Turbosperg

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Here’s what I said in the Andersson thread last night
The only way his handling makes sense to me is that maybe the team thinks confidence (or lack thereof) had a big impact on his play last season and this year they’re giving him something he definitely can handle and are incrementally increasing it.

Outside of that I’m over here like :dunno:
It’s only 5 games into a season where I thought they’d be bad again, I’m not going to get overly mad about anything yet

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
well he did this with Howden last year who got his skull caved in so it goes both ways

getting pink socked every night isn’t good regardless of the kids getting ice time. that doesn’t mean i’d ice useless garbage like marc staal over kids but you should always have some level of insulation for them
Yeah I hope I’m blowing this out of proportion and things fall into place. I just can’t imagine being Chytil or krav and knowing that I didn’t make the roster so that Brendan smith can play on the third line

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I didn’t mean it as choose A or B. Haley Smith McKegg embraces the tank but not the rebuild.
I didn’t mean it to sound like a choice. If Chytil and Kravtsov were in the roster spots taken up by those 3, I’d put good money everyone would be complaining about how they’re not getting enough minutes or a big enough role

Reactions: zephyr

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah I hope I’m blowing this out of proportion and things fall into place. I just can’t imagine being Chytil or krav and knowing that I didn’t make the roster so that Brendan smith can play on the third line

Smith has been effective at creating space with physical play, he isnt going to score much but at this point in our rebuild we need guys who will do that. Chytil and Kravtsov werent ready for the roles they were going to be used in, Chytil may have been misused last year maybe by playing in the NHL as young and raw as he was but this year they are treating him right, i still feel he will be back before November. As far as Kravtsov, he was benched in the AHL so I dont know how he would be useful in a bottom 6 role in the nhl. I think Kravtsov has the same issue as Buch did when he got here and that's that he isnt physically strong. Both players will be good NHL players, Kravtsov to me is someone you win with so I hope they get it right.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Brett Howden has 0 business being on any top 6 in the NHL, let alone this one. Get Chytil up here and let him grow through whatever because he at least has a top 6 ceiling. Howden has 0 offensive skill.

And our PP2 is atrocious on paper. Like actually sad. This team is so top heavy it's crazy. And please for the love of all this is good get Andersson off the 4th line with those plugs..

Reactions: bl02

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
The over reactions on this board based on FIVE games played by a team no one expected to make the playoffs are hilarious. The 2013-14 Rangers started out at like 3-8 and almost won a f***ing Stanley Cup and this team, that many on this board agreed before the season would finish anywhere from 6-10 from the bottom, is 2-3 right now.

This team is young. The youngest in the league. The youngest Rangers team in years - and by a considerable margin. There’s going to be plenty of bumps in the road.

We have some elite talent. We have a ton of good pieces to build a core around. This is still a rebuild and people need to be patient. There’s a lot to be excited about. Give it time to cook a little.

We have a legit #1 Center, a legit game breaking wing in his prime, a future stud power forward that could be the franchise player that has eluded this franchise for half a century. Trouba, Hajek, Fox, DeAngelo, Miller. That’s going to be a great defensive core in 2-3 years.

Patience, guys. It was never going to happen over night.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Would like to see them split up panarin and mika to try to spread out the offense. Panarin can carry a line on his own and Kreisler works well on the left side of mika.

KZB
Panarin Strome* kakko
Lemieux Lias fast
Smith howden mckegg

Think Chytil or Lias could also work between panarin and kakko

Reactions: akmuo33

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Would like to see them split up panarin and mika to try to spread out the offense. Panarin can carry a line on his own and Kreisler works well on the left side of mika.

KZB
Panarin Strome* kakko
Lemieux Lias fast
Smith howden mckegg

Think Chytil or Lias could also work between panarin and kakko

And if Lias doesn't will we blame his linemates or his coach? Both?

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
And what you’d rather watch isn’t necessarily better for them

I don't think a bad outcome is as automatic as I think many here believe. Not everyone is Manny Malhotra who gets ruined as a result of being pushed too early. Kravtsov actually played with men in the KHL I think he'd be fine finding his way in the NHL. Chytil is probably ready now and they just wanted to send a message of the work it takes to be a second-line centre versus somebody who's more of a passenger on a third line wing.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think a bad outcome is as automatic as I think many here believe. Not everyone is Manny Malhotra who gets ruined as a result of being pushed too early. Kravtsov actually played with men in the KHL I think he'd be fine finding his way in the NHL. Chytil is probably ready now and they just wanted to send a message of the work it takes to be a second-line centre versus somebody who's more of a passenger on a third line wing.
I think the 2C is 100% Chytil’s, all he needs to do to get it is show them that he can be responsible enough defensively, and Kravtsov will be back when he shows he can discern when to carry the puck into the zone or when to dump it in. I know it would be at least a little better to watch a team suck when you can see glimpses of the future on it, but patience is still going to be the key to this season

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The over reactions on this board based on FIVE games played by a team no one expected to make the playoffs are hilarious. The 2013-14 Rangers started out at like 3-8 and almost won a ****ing Stanley Cup and this team, that many on this board agreed before the season would finish anywhere from 6-10 from the bottom, is 2-3 right now.

This team is young. The youngest in the league. The youngest Rangers team in years - and by a considerable margin. There’s going to be plenty of bumps in the road.

We have some elite talent. We have a ton of good pieces to build a core around. This is still a rebuild and people need to be patient. There’s a lot to be excited about. Give it time to cook a little.

We have a legit #1 Center, a legit game breaking wing in his prime, a future stud power forward that could be the franchise player that has eluded this franchise for half a century. Trouba, Hajek, Fox, DeAngelo, Miller. That’s going to be a great defensive core in 2-3 years.

Patience, guys. It was never going to happen over night.

Dude I don't think many of us are mad they're losing. It's how they're losing and how bad our young players have looked so far. Chytil and Kravstov didn't even make the team, Howden and Andersson currently look like bottom 6 players at best, and Lemieux can't stop taking dumb ass penalties, arguing with the coach and getting benched.

It's definitely been a frustrating start to the year from that perspective. No one expected them to come in and light up the league but you at least expect your highly touted young guys come in and make some type of an impact and they haven't even come close to doing that thus far. This team has been entirely carried by 1 line so far

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Ok. Just making sure. I don't want to jump the gun on anything.

we followed protocol on Marc Staal. We blamed his defensive partners but then he became the problem on every pairing. We blamed Vigneault for overusing him but he continues to be overused and sucks in all situations anyway. He was a great defensive prospect with pedigree, team Canada material. Can't blame Gordie. We blamed Sather for signing him to that contract but everyone agrees it looked good at the time. Now we get to relentlessly shit on him every game and every day.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm not sure it has to do with fan expectations. Chytil is worse than last year. Howden is worse than last year. Skjei is worse. Buchnevich is the same.

The only youts who have improved are Andersson and DeAngelo and both are somehow in Quinn's dog house.
I think it’s a little pollyanaish to mark DeAngelo as improved right now. He’s off to a pretty rough start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad