GDT: #5 - 10/12/13 | New York Rangers @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm going with my friends tonight to some stupid Star Wars thing. I've never even seen Star Wars, I'm just getting away from the Rangers! :laugh:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, most of the money in soccer are from sponsorships and advertisement. Ticket prices are only a small part of a clubs revenue. This is mostly true for big clubs though, but no organized team can survive without sponsorships.

And football riots are almost never about the performance of a team. It's almost always political or feud-based.

My point with the post is that there is too much negativity. I understand you're passionate about the team, but when 90% of the things being said is about how terrible someone is, or how you hate everything about the team, that's counter-productive. I figured the perspective of someone from outside the usual sphere of hockey and your usual conversational partners would be enlightening. If you came to f.example a Chelsea bar in the UK and the first thing you said when they lost 4-0 is "What the hell is he doing on the team!? We are going to lose the next game! OMG just fire the coach!", you'd have a better chance of getting your face punched than anything.

If you were at the stadium the hour before the game tonight, what would you be thinking? "Meh, we're gonna lose." and just shout against your team the entire night? The attitude I see here can only happen here. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be very popular at MSG if you could only talk about how terrible the team is the entire game.

If you're only here to complain, just don't watch the game. Go do something else if you're only able to support your team when they are doing well. Coming on an internet forum just to talk about how terrible someone is will just make your life miserable. Your team might not be good, but a true fan should act like a coach in the locker room between periods.

Yes, you can be angry. Yes you can blame single players, but when you create an atmosphere of hatred and negativity, you're just tooting your own horn, not doing anything to help the team or show that you care. You just look like an angry entitled brat.

I don't know where are you from, but in Europe football fans can do much more crazy things than just bash players on forums. For example they can come to practice and threat to kill everyone if they don't start to play good. Hell, Russian fans aren't as crazy as those italians, but last year Dynamo Moscow fans came to the team's practice and started to shoot players with paint ball guns... But to tell the truth it somehow worked - players actually started to play better.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I hope all the posters here who think being physical and tough just means having a team of goons trying to win at "mutant league hockey" take notes tonight while watching the Blues because they are a great example of the point I was trying to make. You need players with size and players who are engaged physically in this league and the Rangers basically have none.

Last edited:

Muh

Beadle
Dec 9, 2010
Sloatsburg, NY
I am an extreme optimist, but I know this game will be tough...esp with Marty. We gotta limit the Blues chances and play with a sense of drive tonight.. Hoping for the best.

With that said, our team has some holes, but we are not as bad as many are making us out to be. We will get out of this funk soon enough, and all will be restored here. Be patient fellas.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm currently doing the one week "no complaining about anything challenge". I picked a really bad week to start it, not that I'm complaining about it. :sarcasm: It's way tougher than you'd think, especially as a sports fan! But I complain about way too much, so I'm giving this a shot to see if I can do it. :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The way some of you guys talk about the Rangers looks to me like you somehow feel like the players owe you something.. Most of you seem to think you know exactly what's wrong and whose fault it is, and you're not shy to go about insulting every player and coach you feel doesn't live up to your expectations, like you're entitled to be a condescending jerk because it's, again, "your team".

Just get over it. Be supportive. Again, if the players were reading these boards,they wouldn't be inspired to play better. They'd be more inclined to get pissed off because they get very little support in here. It's your team. You shouldn't be proud of them only when they are playing well. They represent your city, your childhood or your identity - whatever it was that made you become fans in the first place. In European football, there are thousands of thousands of fans that turn up to the fourth division teams matches, not because they are good or even have a chance in hell of winning any major tournaments. They show up because it doesn't matter if their team loses 9-0 or gets relegated to playing in the worst league in the entire world. It's still their team and they are proud of it.

So be proud. Stop acting like the rangers owe you a perfect start to the season. Be patient. You can be upset, sure, but when you're only upset you're not a fan. You're a pissy little kid who needs to go take a time out.

You make a lot of good points. There are times I'm down on a player or a coach but I tend to be a glass half full kind of fan. The glass is always empty, complain about everything types of "fans" seem to have some sort of real world issues and they spread that misery on sports boards. Its a shame but nothing we can do about it.

While I would like to see some player personal changes I'm still hopeful for this season. 1-3, or 0-10 will not stop me from rooting for this team.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm currently doing the one week "no complaining about anything challenge". I picked a really bad week to start it, not that I'm complaining about it. :sarcasm: It's way tougher than you'd think, especially as a sports fan! But I complain about way too much, so I'm giving this a shot to see if I can do it. :)

I really respect that. I'm going to take that challenge starting today as well. I complain too much about a lot of things.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I really respect that. I'm going to take that challenge starting today as well. I complain too much about a lot of things.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you, but don't get discouraged if you slip up here and there, it's so easy to do at first. :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Good luck! I hope it goes well for you, but don't get discouraged if you slip up here and there, it's so easy to do at first. :)

I know it is harder than it sounds. I try to live by karma every day and find myself slipping up. Still I'm glad you posted that and I look forward to trying for a week.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We are not winning this game.

I don't understand the objective to a post like this. Is it analytic? Tasseography?

Onto subject matter...

The Rangers have struggled against good forechecking early in the season. St. Louis brings that and more, with a good solid group of blueliners and a defensive system known for allowing tremendously low quantities of shots per game.

It would stand to reason, considering our play of late, that we will be substantially outshot. Combined that with Biron in net, and it will take some very opportunistic play for NY to get a result on the road here.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I don't understand the objective to a post like this. Is it analytic? Tasseography?

Onto subject matter...

The Rangers have struggled against good forechecking early in the season. St. Louis brings that and more, with a good solid group of blueliners and a defensive system known for allowing tremendously low quantities of shots per game.

It would stand to reason, considering our play of late, that we will be substantially outshot. Combined that with Biron in net, and it will take some very opportunistic play for NY to get a result on the road here.

It's the pregame thread. Am I required to be analytical? I'm sharing my opinion. One that seems to be pretty widespread. Biron starting this game means we've already lost.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I recently got interested in hockey. I come from Europe, where Football (Soccer) is a highly popular sport.

What surprises me about reading this board for the past ~2 years is the crazy cynicism and bad attitude towards your team. If something goes wrong, it's always some huge problem where everyone's at fault and no one is good enough to play for "your" team.

The way some of you guys talk about the Rangers looks to me like you somehow feel like the players owe you something.. Most of you seem to think you know exactly what's wrong and whose fault it is, and you're not shy to go about insulting every player and coach you feel doesn't live up to your expectations, like you're entitled to be a condescending jerk because it's, again, "your team".

Take the game day threads for example. If there's a goal against, it's never "Oh shucks, I guess we could have played that better". It's always: "OH MY GOD, ****ING DEL ZOTTO DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE ON THIS TEAM." "Why is Pyatt on this team? He's like _the_ worst player in the NHL" (read that in a young teenage girl voice).

Not to mention this GDT. Everyone "assumes" the rangers are going to lose. Everyone just "OH **** WE GUN LOSE, LET'S NOT WATCH".... Imagine if the players were actually reading this board. That would sure fill them with confidence that their fans got their backs...

Just get over it. Be supportive. Again, if the players were reading these boards,they wouldn't be inspired to play better. They'd be more inclined to get pissed off because they get very little support in here. It's your team. You shouldn't be proud of them only when they are playing well. They represent your city, your childhood or your identity - whatever it was that made you become fans in the first place. In European football, there are thousands of thousands of fans that turn up to the fourth division teams matches, not because they are good or even have a chance in hell of winning any major tournaments. They show up because it doesn't matter if their team loses 9-0 or gets relegated to playing in the worst league in the entire world. It's still their team and they are proud of it.

So be proud. Stop acting like the rangers owe you a perfect start to the season. Be patient. You can be upset, sure, but when you're only upset you're not a fan. You're a pissy little kid who needs to go take a time out.

This sounds like a rant from a 10 year old that doesn't understand where the money these players are getting paid (lots of money) is coming from. They come from our ticket sales. I just dropped 160 bucks on the Rangers (a lot of money for me). They're not entitled to play better than is possible, they are entitled to show an effort. For all intents and purposes, we're investors in this team. If I invested in a public company and knew that the CEO and CFO were dogging it, I'd be ****ing pissed and I'd be entitled to them shaping up. Grow up dude, the world doesn't work like that. This isn't junior high sports.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I'm going with my friends tonight to some stupid Star Wars thing. I've never even seen Star Wars, I'm just getting away from the Rangers! :laugh:

Good god man

:laugh:

I was supposed to watch the first one (episode four) with a couple of friends of mine who are fans. Halfway through the movie I was laughing so hard they got angry and turned it off. I'd almost rather start watching that again than tonight's game vs the Sharks.

Since I'm too dumb to expect anything else than a good game, I'll be watching anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad