GDT: #5 – Blue Jackets at Sabres – Thu Oct 10 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
@SabresProspects: We did this last year, we'll do it again. No need for alarms when a teenager is sat. (See: Stamkos, Steven) http://t.co/6gKDjl7J44 #process

Only problem is they just arent the same type of prospects. Grigorenko we need to remember was the 12th pick, not the 1st. The chances to succeed are much different being a 12th pick.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So how do I know that Larsson is not just holding Grigorenkos spot while Grigorenko fills in for Hodgson on the first line? How much can really be read from the training lines on an off-day? I am new to all this hockey kremlinology, please help me!

You're right, that kind of thing does happen often, but you usually figure it out via additional reports that supplement the reporting of practice lines. If a player is held out because he's hurt or is getting a "maintenance day", the beat reporters get to the bottom of it and let it be known. What happens in practice on gameday is always takes precedence over off-day practices, of course.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Still don't understand how you can be an ice hockey player and have compete issues when battling for the puck. It's literally the most important thing in the entire game. How can you play hockey for 10+ years and still appear to be terrible at it?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Still don't understand how you can be an ice hockey player and have compete issues when battling for the puck. It's literally the most important thing in the entire game. How can you play hockey for 10+ years and still appear to be terrible at it?

Not enough strength

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
No issue with Grigs sitting, it's a long season and watching from the press box a few times won't hurt him at all. Hopefully Larsson can play well enough that he's not the player that comes out for Grig's return.

Also, if Zadorov plays a few games which I think he should just to give him a taste and an idea of what regular season NHL hockey is like, he should go in for Ristolainen.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
No issue with Grigs sitting, it's a long season and watching from the press box a few times won't hurt him at all. Hopefully Larsson can play well enough that he's not the player that comes out for Grig's return.

Also, if Zadorov plays a few games which I think he should just to give him a taste and an idea of what regular season NHL hockey is like, he should go in for Ristolainen.

Personally I don't see what sitting him actually does. Play him and push him.

Sitting him IMO does no good. I know others have sat, but Im not a fan of it. Maybe he should play in the KHL a few years.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've been saying it since his first couple weeks of NHL action, but yeah, he very clearly needs to improve his skating and strength if he wants to play in this league. He will improve it, but how much remains to be seen. He's made some strides from last season in that and other regards, just like he looked much better returning from juniors at the end of last season.

Having said that, there's a mental aspect in play. He's hesitant to get involved. Is that in part because of a low confidence in his strength and skating to get the job done? Perhaps, but it does go beyond that if you watch him play in juniors/etc. He does need to learn how to play a bit harder if he wants to be a very good player. He will be in the league though. Once he improves physically he will be good enough to at least float around the league.

Personally I thought he's looked pretty good so far, in a relative sense. If he were surrounded by a team with more talent, from forechecking to playmaking to finishing, he'd look a lot more useful. I don't have a problem with scratching him, though. It's an 82 game season, missing 15 games isn't going to hurt his development, let alone 1.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Because it's a lot easier to compete, and a lot easier to not have to compete, in lower levels.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
does anyone know if this new sabres broadcast in Canada includes London?

It does not. I don't even think it reaches Hamilton city centre.

What I thought it said was roughly wellend canal and points east
http://sabres.nhl.com/v2/ext/images/20131008-CanadianBroadcast.pdf

20131008-LG-Map.jpg

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Grigs and Girgs compete level is night and day. They play different styles but when you have these two players to compare it makes benching Grigs easier. I do not believe the sky is falling, but clearly, Grigs still appears hesitant and non-involved out there. Wish we could take Flynn's compete level and implant it into Grigs frame and skill set.

Hopefully this develops. He has a impressive skill set, but when he plays as soon as any adversity happens on his shift he always retreats into a slack defensive position as if he is terrified of allowing something negative to happen against his line.

He is only -1 while Vanek and Cody are -4. So he has been okay with two way play, but what we need from him is offense... would rather see bad defensive play and some impressive offense then just meh on both ends.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why Grigorenko cant go to Rochester is just stupid. Is he allowed to go next year?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He's 19 and you're already so certain of this?

When your issues are effort, compete level, intensity, and overall just focus there is a pretty good chance your not going to make it in the highest skilled hockey league. Everyone in this league has great skill, it's the other things that make them stick in the league. It's not easy to change someone want and personality.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
When your issues are effort, compete level, intensity, and overall just focus there is a pretty good chance your not going to make it in the highest skilled hockey league. Everyone in this league has great skill, it's the other things that make them stick in the league. It's not easy to change someone want and personality.

Its kind of why i thought Faska was the better player for what we wanted to build in Buffalo. Probably more physically ready for the NHL but he has yet to play a game in the NHL. Grigorenko should be the same way.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I've been saying it since his first couple weeks of NHL action, but yeah, he very clearly needs to improve his skating and strength if he wants to play in this league. He will improve it, but how much remains to be seen. He's made some strides from last season in that and other regards, just like he looked much better returning from juniors at the end of last season.

Having said that, there's a mental aspect in play. He's hesitant to get involved. Is that in part because of a low confidence in his strength and skating to get the job done? Perhaps, but it does go beyond that if you watch him play in juniors/etc. He does need to learn how to play a bit harder if he wants to be a very good player. He will be in the league though. Once he improves physically he will be good enough to at least float around the league.

Personally I thought he's looked pretty good so far, in a relative sense. If he were surrounded by a team with more talent, from forechecking to playmaking to finishing, he'd look a lot more useful. I don't have a problem with scratching him, though. It's an 82 game season, missing 15 games isn't going to hurt his development, let alone 1.

All of this is what I was thinking. He should be hesitant because the few times he's been engaged he's been knock off his skates. I think the kid has the drive to get better in those areas. He basically admitted in a sabres article over the summer that he needed to work on his compete level and skating. Right now he has elite level hands and vision but junior level everything else.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Why put Grigorenko on the roster if RR is going to scratch him for problems he already knew Grigs had?

He is a developing prospect. The 19 year old will have bad stretches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad