News Article: (4th Pd) Who the Pens are connected with. Who do you like?

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Matt Beleskey, RW
2014-15 Salary Cap Hit: $1,350,000 Age: 27
Beleskey is expected to test the free agent market in July, and given the limited marketplace, his goal-scoring touch makes him a hot target for many teams.

Justin Williams, RW
2014-15 Salary Cap Hit: $3,650,000 Age: 33
Unless Williams takes a "hometown" discount, he won't be back with the Kings next season. He has lots of hockey left and adds solid depth to any second line.

Curtis Glencross, LW
2014-15 Salary Cap Hit: $2,550,000 Age: 32
Glencross attracted plenty of interest at the trade deadline this past season and should generate interest this July.

(I think all of these guys will get paid to much by other teams.) None of these guys will return except for maybe Glencross to Calgary. Some team like Florida or Dallas or even Philly will over pay for Beleskey. Williams will make bank off Boston, Edmonton, or even Philly if they miss out on Beleskey.

I noticed two things, holy crap the free agency depth is bad this year after we already knew it was going to be terrible & there are a couple more guys I am surprised the Pens are not at least attempting to talk to.

Sean Bergenheim, RW/LW - Minnesota (Guy I think is most likely to be signed, not on that list)
Mike Santorelli, C - Nashville (Completely makes Sutter expandable since he is are best trade asset)
Michael Frolik, LW - Winnipeg (If the price is right, I'd consider it.)
Drew Stafford, LW - Winnipeg (same thing, except, I always thought at some point he'd end up a Penguin, but thought Shero would grab him.)
Joel Ward, RW - Washington (the 3rd line winger, this team has needed for a while, plus he can fill in a top 6 role in certain circumstances.)
Carl Soderberg, C - Boston (Someone will over pay, but the Santorelli explanation but with a greater reward.)

Thoughts? I get the young movement is needed, but right now with asking prices being so high for players in trades maybe grab one or two of these guys?

Yes, there can be a little risk in this. But if you look at it, there are a lot of positives too. (At least) one player might shine under the situation and take his game to a new level, gives other teams a reason to bite an give up better assets in trades, potentially shows other teams we don't need their player dropping their asking price, also signing at least one of these guys might make someone else on the team more expandable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Glencross is barely a consistent 40pt winger, his fascination by this board is akin to when people wanted Greening, just say no kids.

Williams - I am on board for a 2yr deal at 4.5-5m/yr. He'd be a playmaker that allows Malkin to shoot more often.

Beleskey - No, guys in that position are never a good investment for a big contract. See: Clarkson.

I'm with Shrimper.

Joel Ward for a 1yr deal, Soderberg at 4m/yr for the 3rd line C, and Frolik for a 3yr deal at 3.5m/yr for 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I noticed two things, holy crap the free agency depth is bad this year after we already knew it was going to be terrible & there are a couple more guys I am surprised the Pens are not at least attempting to talk to.

The Pens are not talking to or attempting to talk to any of the above players. That would be tampering.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Apparently Joel Ward wants a 4 year deal... Where do I sign for that one?....

FA ain't the route to go, although one of Frolik or Williams are the two guys I'd hope that we are targeting, pending contracts of course.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we signed any one of Belesky (sans a decent contract), Williams, or Glencross I'm going to be completely deflated.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lol, watch us sign 31-35 on that list.

Just so you know, I haven't looked yet.

Uwmv9a8.gif

Edit: I regret looking. :laugh:

BigBenSF*

One of Frolik, Williams, Ward, or Bergenheim would make me happy.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Of those guy only the fin is the guy I want. The rest of thoose guys are overrated and soon to extremely overpaid stop gaps.
I really hope they stay away from the one dimensional half blind Dane sniper.He is a extremely bad version of Stamkos and isn't going to be an upgrade over Sutter with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad