Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In all seriousness it really wasn't that long ago that he was the team's top defensive prospect.

Bigras hype was similar to Timmins as a good two way guy that was a bit of steal in the 2nd round, though even Timmins has more hype because he had a great WJC that Bigras never had.

Byram's hype is more deserving given the huge numbers he put up last year, and his 4th overall selection.

I still don't know why we're talking about him as if he's having a poor season though. It's only November, and he's close to a pt/gm pace. A good month or a good second half of the season, after the letdown from being sent back to junior, and he's back to justifying the hype.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Would like more good feels and hype in here, please.

Bump for a good highlight

These moves remind you of anyone else on the Avs who's hype was questioned?

The way he changes the angle to fake out the onrushing forward on the first goal? Then the fake drop pass on the second play, and the way he went forehand backhand to fake out the forward again at the point, so he could open up room to skate down low at the end of the clip?

These are creative high IQ plays that will translate well to the NHL. Especially the up tempo, skating game the Avs and Bednar both like to employ. The type of instinctual plays that separate really good defenseman from the rest of the pack.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I’m not ashamed all my posts are bumped for Byram optimism. I’m starting to think I might be his biggest supporter on our board :sarcasm:

Sakic swung by to catch a giants game while the Avs were between Vancouver and Calgary and he talked a bit on Byram. Byram scored a break away goal that night.

Joe Sakic discusses Calvert's injury, what he likes in Bowen Byram, developing prospects - Sportsnet.ca

EDIT: Also TSN is drinking the Byram tea

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-nhl-teams-well-represented-in-core-4-u-24-top-50-players-list-1.1401999

upload_2019-11-22_18-53-27.png

Last edited:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I’m not ashamed all my posts are bumped for Byram optimism. I’m starting to think I might be his biggest supporter on our board :sarcasm:

Sakic swung by to catch a giants game while the Avs were between Vancouver and Calgary and he talked a bit on Byram. Byram scored a break away goal that night.

Joe Sakic discusses Calvert's injury, what he likes in Bowen Byram, developing prospects - Sportsnet.ca

EDIT: Also TSN is drinking the Byram tea

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-nhl-teams-well-represented-in-core-4-u-24-top-50-players-list-1.1401999

View attachment 281409
I like byram more than average but this is a bit ridiculous. Werenski has played 5 years byram hasn’t played a game

Reactions: 22FUTON9

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, I'm not sure what they're doing comparing NHL players with kids who haven't graduated yet.

All I know is it's driving peeps on the main board nuts and I think it's hilarious.
I think it’s their guess at potential ceilings

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Meh...I'm not a fan of pumping tires for prospects. The entire summer, the majority of this section of HFB had Byram slotted into this season's roster. He clearly wasn't ready. I'm not trying to write him off, but he's gotta show something at this level before he becomes a heart-throb for me.

I've never professed to be a great evaluator of talent, but I did call Stastny over Wolski and was ridiculed for it. I also called Barrie over Shattenkirk, and feel I won that call as well. I was way ahead of this board and the coaching staff on Boychuk. I haven't seen enough of Byram to make a call, but what I've seen so far has led me to believe he still needs to marinade before joining the NHL. He's got talent and skill and I do believe he'll become a good player, I'm just not ready to trade Zadorov yet because of that. He's got to earn his way into the lineup and take over a spot before I'd move another active rfa to open a spot for him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh...I'm not a fan of pumping tires for prospects. The entire summer, the majority of this section of HFB had Byram slotted into this season's roster. He clearly wasn't ready. I'm not trying to write him off, but he's gotta show something at this level before he becomes a heart-throb for me.

I've never professed to be a great evaluator of talent, but I did call Stastny over Wolski and was ridiculed for it. I also called Barrie over Shattenkirk, and feel I won that call as well. I was way ahead of this board and the coaching staff on Boychuk. I haven't seen enough of Byram to make a call, but what I've seen so far has led me to believe he still needs to marinade before joining the NHL. He's got talent and skill and I do believe he'll become a good player, I'm just not ready to trade Zadorov yet because of that. He's got to earn his way into the lineup and take over a spot before I'd move another active rfa to open a spot for him.

There was a debate between Stastny and Wolski? Why?

I mean, we're always going to come in a little too high or low on a given prospect. A stretch of good play will get us excited, a stretch of bad or mediocre play invariably brings the bar down, oftentimes too low. It's always a fascinating discussion regardless.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Byram clearly did need to marinate a little longer, but if it makes you feel any better, think about how Makar looked the first few games of the season at 21 years old.

Where he was a little overwhelmed by the NHL and was just reacting a step too slow, instead of making others react to him. Not comfortable enough yet to play his game and make plays with confidence.

Then think about how Byram just turned 18 in June. It was the same thing for him, but even more so, and he probably wasn't as strong physically at that point either.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I totally forgot to report back after I went to watch him live about a week ago at the WHL vs Russia series. Again, as I said before, I realize one game isn't anything to rely on but I spent the whole game pretty much only watching him and I figured I'd give some insight for those who haven't had the opportunity to see him.

-The thing i noticed the most about him is his gap control is excellent. Like really really good. He couldn't have played most incoming rushes a whole lot better and didn't get beat that I noticed all night.
- He is an excellent skater, but not in the same way as a Makar or Mackinnon (explosive). The word I'd use here is probably fluid. His edge work was real good.
- He seemed to be focusing on defense in the 5v5 situations, but he's excellent on the PP as well. He was all over the ice during it.
- His first pass was pretty good in the situations he had, but I found he preferred to carry the puck up the ice most of the time. He seemed to have pretty good hockey sense and made the right play almost every time. I can only think of one real gaff that was dangerous.
- He certainly didn't shy away from contact and was even a little chippy during that game.
- I certainly wouldn't say hes perfect in his own zone, but he was noticeably better than a lot of the players on Canadas D for the most part.

While I certainly did see anything that made me think "he's lock as a 1D", I saw a whole lot that could become a 1D someday. Multiple people in the crowd were also making comments how good his play was for most of the night. I came out not particularly blown away but I would say very impressed. I think he could have benefited from going the Makar route through college, but I dont think his development will be damaged staying where he is.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I totally forgot to report back after I went to watch him live about a week ago at the WHL vs Russia series. Again, as I said before, I realize one game isn't anything to rely on but I spent the whole game pretty much only watching him and I figured I'd give some insight for those who haven't had the opportunity to see him.

-The thing i noticed the most about him is his gap control is excellent. Like really really good. He couldn't have played most incoming rushes a whole lot better and didn't get beat that I noticed all night.
- He is an excellent skater, but not in the same way as a Makar or Mackinnon (explosive). The word I'd use here is probably fluid. His edge work was real good.
- He seemed to be focusing on defense in the 5v5 situations, but he's excellent on the PP as well. He was all over the ice during it.
- His first pass was pretty good in the situations he had, but I found he preferred to carry the puck up the ice most of the time. He seemed to have pretty good hockey sense and made the right play almost every time. I can only think of one real gaff that was dangerous.
- He certainly didn't shy away from contact and was even a little chippy during that game.
- I certainly wouldn't say hes perfect in his own zone, but he was noticeably better than a lot of the players on Canadas D for the most part.

While I certainly did see anything that made me think "he's lock as a 1D", I saw a whole lot that could become a 1D someday. Multiple people in the crowd were also making comments how good his play was for most of the night. I came out not particularly blown away but I would say very impressed. I think he could have benefited from going the Makar route through college, but I dont think his development will be damaged staying where he is.

Sounds like an upper middle class Duncan Siemens.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Crazy what a few years and a little luck will do.

Well, if it was luck, it was bad luck, at least in terms of the draft lottery, since they lost out and dropped as far as a team can drop both times they had a shot at first overall.

That said, given what's going on with Nolan Patrick, I'm not looking back with any sort of bitterness toward 2017 whatsoever for obvious reasons, and really...while I would've LOVED Hughes or Kaako, I'm excited to see what Byram can bring.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Well, if it was luck, it was bad luck, at least in terms of the draft lottery, since they lost out and dropped as far as a team can drop both times they had a shot at first overall.

That said, given what's going on with Nolan Patrick, I'm not looking back with any sort of bitterness toward 2017 whatsoever for obvious reasons, and really...while I would've LOVED Hughes or Kaako, I'm excited to see what Byram can bring.

Kakko would've been such a good fit :cry:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

My man, that has to be one of the most pessimistic things I've heard in a long time. 16-17 absolutely sucked and it would have sucked so much more if Patrick was what we took out of that. Avs losing the lottery and dropping from Patrick to Makar was the best stroke of luck we could have asked for, even if it didn't seem like it at the time.

Avs trading Duchene to a, what was perceived at the time, cup contender and their first round pick ends up 4th OA. Are you kidding me? And you're going to complain because we lost the lottery and our 25th OA pick turned into the 4th OA instead?

COME ON man. Avs were lucky as all hell, even against themselves in some cases.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kakko would've been such a good fit :cry:

Eh, he ain't exactly taking the league by storm right now (though I think that has mostly to do with a not-great roster around him and horrendous coaching). Don't get me wrong, would've loved for him to be the 2nd line RW behind Mikko on the depth chart (and word has it he would have as well) but...I suppose things happen for a reason.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My man, that has to be one of the most pessimistic things I've heard in a long time. 16-17 absolutely sucked and it would have sucked so much more if Patrick was what we took out of that. Avs losing the lottery and dropping from Patrick to Makar was the best stroke of luck we could have asked for, even if it didn't seem like it at the time.

Avs trading Duchene to a, what was perceived at the time, cup contender and their first round pick ends up 4th OA. Are you kidding me? And you're going to complain because we lost the lottery and our 25th OA pick turned into the 4th OA instead?

I think you're taking my comments out of context, or at the very least, a tad too seriously. Please read them again. Basically I'm saying that bad luck in the lottery may have worked out for the Avs in the long run.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Luck is only part of the success.

Sakic has done a masterful job with trades and picks to make this all happen. He was ready with the BPA for both Makar and Byram. Some smart signings & trades this offseason Kadri, Burma and Donskoi. Cap management to hold firm on Rants and moving Barrie.

Future is bright and credit to Bednar/Sakic with a little luck to have this happen.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think you're taking my comments out of context, or at the very least, a tad too seriously. Please read them again. Basically I'm saying that bad luck in the lottery may have worked out for the Avs in the long run.

My bad, dude. I may already be drunk for this afternoon's game.

Luck is only part of the success.

Sakic has done a masterful job with trades and picks to make this all happen. He was ready with the BPA for both Makar and Byram. Some smart signings & trades this offseason Kadri, Burma and Donskoi. Cap management to hold firm on Rants and moving Barrie.

Future is bright and credit to Bednar/Sakic with a little luck to have this happen.

Completely agree. Sakic and co has been killing it.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad