Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Or you know the league that is producing talent and enables these kids to grow wants to also benefit from them. There is nothing hypocritical about trying to run a profitable business while providing an invaluable service to the NHL. If you go and take a look at the major junior teams, plenty struggle financially, so every little bit helps. Keeping draft +1 players in the league helps to keep the league afloat.

As for the whole "Byram is too good" narrative some are pushing here, just come off it already. He is not too good for the WHL. The first three games are proof enough. Yes he scored plenty of points and he pushes the play, but he let other teams get under his skin, took dumb penalties and in general looked shaky at times. He will be well served with another year there.
This.

The Byram turbo-hype needs to stop. He’s an excellent junior player, that’s it. The WHL will not ruin him. If not making the NHL after their draft year was fine for Werenski, Provorov and Chabot, it’s going to be fine for Byram. Enough with this stupid drama.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
True Suisse might not be a haven for 19 year old boys, but I can't think of any other place I would want to spend a season of hockey developing against men. The country is small (less travel than in the Dub), beautiful (beats those prairie blizzard bus drives), and love their sports (ultras). Plus you get to experience an entirely new culture which he's also used to since he was born in a mountain town.
If I was his dad I would have encouraged him to sign there and would have taken a sabbatical to be with him.

Reactions: S E P H

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Any updates on Byram? How's he looked back down in the WHL from anyone that might be keeping up with him?

Byram has only played 14 games @ 12 points (6th overall for DMen). He has been heavily penalized with 33 mins. Easily frustrated on the ice, another season in the WHL could help his maturity.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Byram has only played 14 games @ 12 points (6th overall for DMen). He has been heavily penalized with 33 mins. Easily frustrated on the ice, another season in the WHL could help his maturity.
Again posting about things you have no idea about. 25mins came from 2 games and 15 of those came from sticking up for his teammate.

PS

To correct myself:

He had 8 penalty minutes against Kelowna when there was a scrum at the end of the 1st period, 6 of those minutes were handed out then, the other two in that game were roughing against Foote where they got matching penalties.

He then had a fighting major against Prince Albert. And a 10min misconduct against Everett.

He has 6 stick infraction minors (hooking and tripping) and one unsportsmanlike minor after he said something to the ref after he was called for a trip, where the other guy dove if you ask me.

23 of those penalty minutes came from scrums or fights.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If Bo keeps taling stupid, heated penalties, Bednar is going to hate him more than Greer and Z
He is not taking stupid penalties. Certain posters here just shitpost as per usual and they create inane theories that have absolutely no foundation in reality.

Again, 15 minutes came from protecting his teammate, 10 came from abuse of officials.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
He is not taking stupid penalties. Certain posters here just ****post as per usual and they create inane theories that have absolutely no foundation in reality.

Again, 15 minutes came from protecting his teammate, 10 came from abuse of officials.

10 minute for abuse of officials seems like the stupidest penalty you could possibly take?

Reactions: missionAvs

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Well yes, that was worded poorly on my end. That wasn't very bright on his end. But certain someone insinuated he is taking a lot of stupid penalties when that simply isn't true.

"10 came from abuse of officials."

You don't consider this a stupid penalty? Can you provide another example or you're making stuff up. I'm surprised he wasn't suspended.

I assume Greer picking multiple fights and leaving the Penalty Box to stick up for his teammates is Ok as well? Only 6 game suspension, so no penalty minutes on his record.

:welcome:

Reactions: flyfysher

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We should have listened to @cgf
Indeed :sarcasm:

(something something 6 seconds of playing time per game)

xbPOjmX.png

Apparently he's doing fine in the VHL...

"The Moscow native has two goals, five assists and a plus-4 rating in 12 VHL games this season."

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No way. Pick should've been Turcotte or Zegras, not Podkolzin.

I really liked Turcotte, but Byram is still the correct pick. Podkolzin would have been a complete disaster and likely another future Russian reclamation project for the AVs.

For all his problems, he’s 6th in DMen scoring averaging nearly 1 PPG and slightly less than his average last season. Makar needed 2 seasons to be ready. Still early, after another season in the WHL be much more mature and ready to join the team next season.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I really liked Turcotte, but Byram is still the correct pick. Podkolzin would have been a complete disaster and likely another future Russian reclamation project for the AVs.

For all his problems, he’s 6th in DMen scoring averaging nearly 1 PPG and slightly less ;)than his average last season. Makar needed 2 seasons to be ready. Still early, after another season in the WHL be much more mature and ready to join the team next season.
I’m not saying Byram is a bad pick, just that Turcotte or Zegras would’ve been the right pick ;)

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

For all his problems, he’s 6th in DMen scoring averaging nearly 1 PPG and slightly less than his average last season. Makar needed 2 seasons to be ready. Still early, after another season in the WHL be much more mature and ready to join the team next season.

The main difference is that Makar was steadily improving and you could visibly see Makar working on the deficiencies to the game.

Byram... not so much. I'm not saying Byram is a bust and I wanted either Turcotte or Byram, but if this early season play is any indication there's a huge difference between Makar's developmental curve and Byram's.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
"10 came from abuse of officials."

You don't consider this a stupid penalty? Can you provide another example or you're making stuff up. I'm surprised he wasn't suspended.

I assume Greer picking multiple fights and leaving the Penalty Box to stick up for his teammates is Ok as well? Only 6 game suspension, so no penalty minutes on his record.

:welcome:

Is reading really that hard for you? I literally said it's a dumb penalty in that post. I guess in your mind one is many.

Also, do keep posting about a player you don't watch.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
The main difference is that Makar was steadily improving and you could visibly see Makar working on the deficiencies to the game.

Byram... not so much. I'm not saying Byram is a bust and I wanted either Turcotte or Byram, but if this early season play is any indication there's a huge difference between Makar's developmental curve and Byram's.

Really? Is this something you can determine this early on in his season? Genuinely curious since I haven't watched a lick of Byram since he went back down.

Reactions: MarkT

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Byram was pretty much the consensus #3 pick at the draft by pro scouts. He was not a bad pick at the time and he is not a bad pick now. He will be a top 4 d man for us down the road and that is all we can ask for. The kid has all the talent in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->