4th Line Usage

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Given the current/past usage of our 4th line.. I have to wonder the value of 5-7 mins a night for one of our best prospects in Roslovic. In all honesty, does it not make sense to just bring in a serviceable 4th line C to fill that spot so he could be on the Moose playing big minutes?

On Jets rationale, he's cheap salary wise and and keeps some cap space.

On long term, he won't benefit from his sparse implementation.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's not the best use of our entire team to not roll 4 lines period. We have plenty of depth to spread out the minutes, probably more than most teams in the league.

Reactions: Halberdier

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
Problem is that a guy like Roslovic should be playing in the NHL. If we're not utilizing our depth and only playing 3 lines with Lowry, Copp, Tanev as one then we should flip the talented depth for an upgrade on D (players or prospects). Wasting talented depth with trade value seems silly when we have holes in the roster/prospect pipeline.

Reactions: Tommigun and KB1971

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Given the current/past usage of our 4th line.. I have to wonder the value of 5-7 mins a night for one of our best prospects in Roslovic. In all honesty, does it not make sense to just bring in a serviceable 4th line C to fill that spot so he could be on the Moose playing big minutes?

On Jets rationale, he's cheap salary wise and and keeps some cap space.

On long term, he won't benefit from his sparse implementation.

We have already gone through the turnstile of 4th liners, with Ehlers starting there, with Veselainen, Perreault moving down. Laine getting one game. Roslovic, Lemieux, Copp and Petan have gone through the turnstile as well.

It's nice to have 4 lines to roll, but you have to trust your players. Veselainen wasn't ready. Roslovic struggled at times as a regular centre. Lemieux is not a 12 minute per night player.

Last night's 4th line looked really good. A few more games like that and the ice time increases. I'd still like to see Roslovic in for Perreault, that is who he should replace in the top 9. But as long as our 2nd line isn't being scored on I think Maurice is happy. Power play is the ultimate weapon. Petan taking a penalty, like Lemieux did before him, is the achilles of any 4th line.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Roslo can't take Scheif's, Little's or Lowry's spots at center and he can't take Laine's, MP's or Wheeler's at RW so where do you play him.
I think he deserves more minutes but at whose expense?
I'd play him on the PK.
Lowry Tanev Roslo and Copper should make up a good forward group for the PK, no?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Roslo can't take Scheif's, Little's or Lowry's spots at center and he can't take Laine's, MP's or Wheeler's at RW so where do you play him.
I think he deserves more minutes but at whose expense?
I'd play him on the PK.
Lowry Tanev Roslo and Copper should make up a good forward group for the PK, no?

Can't take Little off the PK, he's good at it. Scheif/Wheeler sure did a good job last night. Connor is getting reps as the 7th forward and I like what I see from him. For me it's Perreault. On the 2nd line he is faster and bigger, meshes with Connor. PP, I think Roslovic in front of the net, tracking pucks, is better. Put Petan in for Trouba and you have a 2nd PP.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
i been saying send him back down untill we need him for awhile he shld be playing 20 min a night in roles to succeed. copp can center the 4th and we have plenty of wingers to call up that can service a 4th line role

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He's too good to play in the AHL.
He'll get his chance to move up whether it be injury or whatever.

Reactions: civic204

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
He's too good to play in the AHL.
He'll get his chance to move up whether it be injury or whatever.
ok so hes too good to play in the nhl and will get his chance when injuries come.. why cant he play 20 min a night and when needed once injuries happen call him up ? your logic doesnt make sense in this scenario

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
ok so hes too good to play in the nhl and will get his chance when injuries come.. why cant he play 20 min a night and when needed once injuries happen call him up ? your logic doesnt make sense in this scenario

Makes perfect sense. It’s not illogical at all. Doesn’t make it the beat scenario either. But personally, I think he’s pretty much graduated from the AHL.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Makes perfect sense. It’s not illogical at all. Doesn’t make it the beat scenario either. But personally, I think he’s pretty much graduated from the AHL.
makes sense to me if you want to stunt him from development. i thought this is why we wanted depth so we can call them up when needed ?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
makes sense to me if you want to stunt him from development. i thought this is why we wanted depth so we can call them up when needed ?

I think the Jets record of developing speaks for itself honestly. Roslovic will benefit playing NHL minutes as well as practicing day in and day out with NHL players. Don’t think he’s gonna learn much more in the A. It will take time with him though in limited minutes so patience is warranted.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
The distribution of ice time at the moment is roughly

23min. for 1st line
15min. for 2nd line
14min. for 3rd line
8min. for 4th line

The only solution for 4th line to get more TOI is to reduce 1st lines minutes. If they did that (which would be smart), personally I would give those extra minutes to 2nd and 3rd lines. It's not ideal for Laine and Connor to play just 14-15 min. a night.

I'm not as a big of a fan as some here about "4 equal lines" idea, there is just not enough minutes in a hockey game for that many lines of top players.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

23min. for 1st line
15min. for 2nd line
14min. for 3rd line
8min. for 4th line

The only solution for 4th line to get more TOI is to reduce 1st lines minutes. If they did that (which would be smart), personally I would give those extra minutes to 2nd and 3rd lines. It's not ideal for Laine and Connor to play just 14-15 min. a night.

I'm not as a big of a fan as some here about "4 equal lines" idea, there is just not enough minutes in a hockey game for that many lines of top players.

The ice time between lines is a little more skewed. Scheif and Wheeler get regular PP time and PK time, as opposed to Ehlers.

Copp will get over 10 minutes because he kills penalties, and will be thrown in defensive zone situations. If the 4th gets 8-10, as opposed to 4-6, that's important for managing total minutes.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Roslo deserves to be in the NHL earning NHL pay. It's a long season he will move up when inevitable injuries occur. Give some Wheeler PK time to Roslo. Get Wheeler rested for 5 on 5 so he's not hunched over winded half the time.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

23min. for 1st line
15min. for 2nd line
14min. for 3rd line
8min. for 4th line

You're counting non-5v5 time, which skews the results.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
The 4th line looked more solid in the previous game. They should earn some extra minutes off of that. There were some games where the 4th line looked like a liability, but Roslovic-Copp-Petan seems to be working for now.

I would definitely try to give Roslovic some PP minutes. He's pretty great at moving the puck around. Just needs more experience in making the right decisions with the puck, at NHL pace.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->