Movies: 4th best Star Trek Movie

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
ST V: The Final Frontier was my vote.

Guess my choice will lose, but have to go with that one. First Contact felt like a TNG episode for me. In fact there are episodes that I felt would have been better as movies than that one.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Close between III and First Contact. I'll go with III

Edit: ****, looks like I'm on the losing side of this one

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
ST V: The Final Frontier was my vote.

Guess my choice will lose, but have to go with that one. First Contact felt like a TNG episode for me. In fact there are episodes that I felt would have been better as movies than that one.

Isn't that largely considered the worst of the original cast movies?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

There's no "largely" about it. The only movie that ever comes close to dethroning it would be the first one, and even that doesn't seem to ever really threaten V's crown for the absolute worst of the lot.

The only good thing to ever come out of V was the bit on Futurama where Leonard Nimoy says "when I directed Star Trek 3, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much." and then Shatner responds "and when I directed Star Trek 5, I got a magnificent performance out of me because I respected me so much."

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It's really tough after II, VI, and IV.

I want to say First Contact but that movie has always slightly bothered me. True it's the best TNG movie but I always felt that going back to time travel which had been used in IV and also a few times in TNG (and later in Voyager where the Federation Time officers joked that Janeway was their #1 nemesis) was a cop out. Also the blatant recycling of the Ahab/Moby Dick thing from II, the fact that the space battle was just a big tease, and Riker/Crusher were really underutilized makes it lose points. Plus the movie doesn't age as well as some of the TOS ones. Still a good movie.

My vote goes to III. Search For Spock is in no way a perfect movie and has many WTF moments (the novel explains why Kirk jettisoned Spocks body on Genesis as that was in his will, goes into further detail about Sulu not getting the Excelsior command because of his involvement in part II and the Federation not wanting to cause beef with the Klingons, and Kirk's friendship with Captain Esteban from the Grissom) but remember when this movie came out in 1984, blowing up the Enterprise, killing Kirk's son, and marooning them on Vulcan with the Bird of Prey was shocking. For two years there truly was this feeling that it could either be over for this crew, or how in the heck are they going to get out of this situation. Also the movie has good pacing and the Enterprise/Excelsior space dock stuff in legendary. I also really love how Nimoy shot the Enterprise interior. It felt like a sad/old house. Uhura and Mr. Adventure. And finally the guy who played Dooggie Howser's dad as Captain Styles was hilarious so bonus points for that (and Miguel Ferrer as the helmsman). In the DVD commentary Nimoy wanted that actor (James Sikking) but the studio was hesitant to use him and typed cast him from Hill Street Blues. Nimoy really went to bat for him and he absolutely crushed it.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There's no "largely" about it. The only movie that ever comes close to dethroning it would be the first one, and even that doesn't seem to ever really threaten V's crown for the absolute worst of the lot.

The only good thing to ever come out of V was the bit on Futurama where Leonard Nimoy says "when I directed Star Trek 3, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much." and then Shatner responds "and when I directed Star Trek 5, I got a magnificent performance out of me because I respected me so much."

Well, there was this too:

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
My vote goes to III. Search For Spock is in no way a perfect movie and has many WTF moments (the novel explains why Kirk jettisoned Spocks body on Genesis as that was in his will, goes into further detail about Sulu not getting the Excelsior command because of his involvement in part II and the Federation not wanting to cause beef with the Klingons, and Kirk's friendship with Captain Esteban from the Grissom) but remember when this movie came out in 1984, blowing up the Enterprise, killing Kirk's son, and marooning them on Vulcan with the Bird of Prey was shocking.
It's been a long time since I read that novel, but I thought Spock's body was on the planet's surface because Saavik secretly changed its orbital entry. Kirk had ordered a standard burn-up-in-atmosphere space burial and actually wasn't happy when he discovered that Saavik had disobeyed the order.

Saavik also had an affair with David during the novel and her half-Romulan heritage was revealed. I don't think Saavik's on-screen heritage was ever planned to be anything but full Vulcan, but who knows. Open to interpretation, I guess.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

It certainly wasn't the best. :laugh:

But it was my choice because of the storyline.

As I said in an earlier post, this movie expanded my mind to not only about the far reaches of the universe, but to the thought of the possibilities of there being something beyond its boundaries, which wasn't mainstream science thought back then(at least for those of us in the non-physics public sphere). I acknowledge that this story was about the center of the galaxy and not the boundaries of the universe, but it still got me thinking, and those thoughts have continued for decades. Isn't that the sign of a great movie? And, although we know now that at the center of most/all(?) galaxies are black holes or objects with immense gravitational pull, the thought of 'what's beyond' continues to the far reaches of the time of the big bang, and beyond the 'expansion border line' of the universe.

The cheesy acting, bad writing or inconsistencies are such a small critique compared to the overall immensity of what they story was tackling. The logic vs faith aspect was also prominent and allowed people to question their own critical thinking process when it came to belief or faith in a deity or supernaturalism.

I think much like Kirk, many viewers were in disbelief of the 'god' who was calling them to him, and then may have been surprised to see that there actually was one even if for a second, to then realise that it wasn't 'god', but a lifeform. But that opened up other thoughts about what if that's what 'god' is/was? Or what if there isn't one...like the one we think of.

Anyways, that was my reasoning of voting for it so high over the other ones.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It certainly wasn't the best. :laugh:

But it was my choice because of the storyline.

As I said in an earlier post, this movie expanded my mind to not only about the far reaches of the universe, but to the thought of the possibilities of there being something beyond its boundaries, which wasn't mainstream science thought back then(at least for those of us in the non-physics public sphere). I acknowledge that this story was about the center of the galaxy and not the boundaries of the universe, but it still got me thinking, and those thoughts have continued for decades. Isn't that the sign of a great movie? And, although we know now that at the center of most/all(?) galaxies are black holes or objects with immense gravitational pull, the thought of 'what's beyond' continues to the far reaches of the time of the big bang, and beyond the 'expansion border line' of the universe.

The cheesy acting, bad writing or inconsistencies are such a small critique compared to the overall immensity of what they story was tackling. The logic vs faith aspect was also prominent and allowed people to question their own critical thinking process when it came to belief or faith in a deity or supernaturalism.

I think much like Kirk, many viewers were in disbelief of the 'god' who was calling them to him, and then may have been surprised to see that there actually was one even if for a second, to then realise that it wasn't 'god', but a lifeform. But that opened up other thoughts about what if that's what 'god' is/was? Or what if there isn't one...like the one we think of.

Anyways, that was my reasoning of voting for it so high over the other ones.

The Final Frontier is a giant ego stroke for William Shatner, which isn't shocking since he helped write the story and directed it. I like when they are discussing where god is and this is what Kirk says.:sarcasm:

Kirk-God.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad