4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The thing is, though, that QLED is much cheaper to manufacture than OLED. If they can't figure out how to make OLED at a profit, then that's just more incentive to transition to QLED. It's still quite a ways away--I got the impression that they haven't actually built any TV-sized QLED displays yet--but the significantly cheaper cost is the main reason why it's such a promising technology. The others are that it's twice as cost efficient and can be used in flexible displays, but those are going to have more relevance to small displays (smartphones, tablets, watch, etc.) than to TVs.

I get that, which is why it shouldn't be as long a transition period from OLEDs to QLEDs as it has been from LCDs to OLEDs, but when you haven't even made TV sized display's yet, and we're not even seeing QLED's in smaller applications yet (phones). OLED technology has been in phone's for almost a decade now, and Samsung, who will be the first one to apply them commercially I would imagine, really isn't anywhere close to being ready to doing that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I get that, which is why it shouldn't be as long a transition period from OLEDs to QLEDs as it has been from LCDs to OLEDs, but when you haven't even made TV sized display's yet, and we're not even seeing QLED's in smaller applications yet (phones). OLED technology has been in phone's for almost a decade now, and Samsung, who will be the first one to apply them commercially I would imagine, really isn't anywhere close to being ready to doing that.

Yeah, I don't contest that it'll be a long time before we see QLED TVs. It'll just likely be because of technological and manufacturing difficulties in scaling up to that size, not because of difficulties in making them cheaply.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm so confused.

I'm looking to buy a decent 65 inch 4K TV and looking at the prices they vary from around $1200 - $4000

What the hell is so much better about the $4,000 TV? If I buy a $1200 one am i buying a piece of garbage?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm so confused.

I'm looking to buy a decent 65 inch 4K TV and looking at the prices they vary from around $1200 - $4000

What the hell is so much better about the $4,000 TV? If I buy a $1200 one am i buying a piece of garbage?

I quite like this one:

http://www.pcrichard.com/Haier/Haier-65inch-Class-4K-ULTRA-HD-LED-TV/65UF2505.pcrp

I got it up here through Costco though, with a 5 year warranty, so that took a lot of risk out of it for me, especially with their return policy. I have seen people complain about vertical banding, or a couple of other things, but if you can find it somewhere where you can easily exchange it, it may be worth looking at for you if you're just looking for a cheap, but reasonable TV. It's not HDR, it's not 120Hz... the sound is adequate at best, horrible at worst, so you may want a sound bar. I'm running mine with a separate amplifier and speakers, so sound isn't an issue for me.

If you're looking for something higher end, the other folks may be able to answer your question better for you.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Well it's what we discussed earlier. I really disagree that QLED is coming anytime soon. If manufacturers can't even figure out how to make OLED's at a profit, they're not going to be able to manufacture QLED's at a profit, especially when that technology is very much still in the womb. OLED is still in it's infancy, QLED isn't even there yet. I think it would be conservative to expect QLED's that aren't extremely expensive sell-at-a-loss products before the 2030s; OLED's aren't going to be widespread till the 2020s. My OLED X1 Yoga's screen probably won't be common until the 2020s.

I think you can do as much research as you want on OLED's, but it's seeing them in person that actually makes the difference. I read about motion blur, brightness, and lag before I bought my OLED X1, but none of that really mattered when I actually saw one. I can't distinguish those issues from a normal screen, but I definitely do notice the richness in colours, the true, actual blacks, and more. For me, TV's were essentially the same experience, but I can't justify the price now.

The problem is the retailers, at least the ones selling LG's OLED's are playing DVR'd HDR 4K filmed in native 4K that are typically city and nature landscapes with no fast moving images. That's not typical use. Your display is probably awesome and you made the right purchase for you - being satisfied you did the right thing after a major purchase is important. You don't want to feel like you left something on the table as far as performance - I've been there when I spent a boatload for my Pioneer. I feel like you do get what you pay for in displays to some extent but to most people they don't know the difference.

Thing is people don't have to go OLED right now and the updates in tech the last 7 years in LED's is night and day.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm so confused.

You're really not. I would read reviews and sort out the differences in the displays assuming they are the same tech. I don't know what you're comparing. Some cheap 4K tv's don't have HDR, I would at least get one that has HDR. Then it's all processor, refresh rate and color tech. 3D and panel thickness might be adding $$$ as well. Compare the stats side by side.

I'll tell you this. I upgraded my 2009 LCD and it's night and day. Paid 1,700 for a 65. I always buy the warranty hoping I maybe get a free upgrade down the road. lol. My point is no matter what you spend you will probably have a much better display than you had.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Decided to buy the Samsung KS8000 series, 55". Anyone have this? I know it's gotten great reviews compared to other TVs in it's class. I'm upgrading from like an eight year old 32" 720p TV, so I'm pretty pumped. Picking it up on Saturday. Thought it was a good enough deal right at $1k.

I had heard you pretty much had to be at that size to notice the effects of 4k. And while I know there's not a ton of content out there at the moment, I figured I probably won't buy another TV for a while, so might as well just pick up a 4k. I didn't want to wait for OLEDs (I see this has been discussed lately), and the price is outrageous at the moment. Just glad I at least get HDR on the Samsung.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Decided to buy the Samsung KS8000 series, 55". Anyone have this? I know it's gotten great reviews compared to other TVs in it's class. I'm upgrading from like an eight year old 32" 720p TV, so I'm pretty pumped. Picking it up on Saturday. Thought it was a good enough deal right at $1k.

I had heard you pretty much had to be at that size to notice the effects of 4k. And while I know there's not a ton of content out there at the moment, I figured I probably won't buy another TV for a while, so might as well just pick up a 4k. I didn't want to wait for OLEDs (I see this has been discussed lately), and the price is outrageous at the moment. Just glad I at least get HDR on the Samsung.

You will be blown away and I was looking at Samsungs before I went with the Sony. Post your thoughts after you get it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

60" is on sale for another $200, for a 4K TV I'd get as big a size as your wallet can stomach.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

I was in a similar boat, went from a 32" Sony to a 50" Vizio P50-C1, and everything is better. No real downsides that I can see. I wanted HDR too, but I wanted to be $1000 or below. (bought for $800 back in May)

1080p content looks just fine, 4k a wee bit sharper - can't tell you about HDR though, since I haven't found any content yet, since that would also require upgrading other components in the chain, and I've spent money on other things ATM.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You will be blown away and I was looking at Samsungs before I went with the Sony. Post your thoughts after you get it.

Awesome! I'll report back!

60" is on sale for another $200, for a 4K TV I'd get as big a size as your wallet can stomach.

Yeah I definitely think the value is pretty good there. It pretty much came down to room size for me, and I won't be watching it from way across the room or anything, so I'm happy with the decision. If I had a bigger room I definitely would have considered it. In fact, I probably would have gone smaller still, but wanted to actually get some of the 4k effect. Either way, it's a major upgrade over what I've got now.

I was in a similar boat, went from a 32" Sony to a 50" Vizio P50-C1, and everything is better. No real downsides that I can see. I wanted HDR too, but I wanted to be $1000 or below. (bought for $800 back in May)

1080p content looks just fine, 4k a wee bit sharper - can't tell you about HDR though, since I haven't found any content yet, since that would also require upgrading other components in the chain, and I've spent money on other things ATM.

Cool, thanks! I thought about the Visio P-series too. I know the newer gaming systems support HDR, so that would be pretty cool to see. I only have the first Xbox One though, which I don't think supports it unfortunately.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Let us know who the panel manufacturer is too. With Black Friday coming up a lot of deal sites are getting good intelligent discussions on TVs. Found a link to this cnet discussion about how Samsung seems to swap their panels out with lower quality ones.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/samsung-panel-lottery-619357/

It's ridiculous what manufacturers get away with.

IIRC, some of those doorbuster deals on BF are made just for BF, by stripping features, using last year's models with a different SKU, the aforementioned panel differences:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

http://www.today.com/money/looking-buy-tv-black-friday-why-you-should-beware-door-t58196

Now, if I had a house, and needed a cheap kid's TV, or one in a spare room, then, a BF TV would be fine, and the box stores could be just looking to blast old inventory out of the back room.

But as my primary TV?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Let us know who the panel manufacturer is too. With Black Friday coming up a lot of deal sites are getting good intelligent discussions on TVs. Found a link to this cnet discussion about how Samsung seems to swap their panels out with lower quality ones.

Huh, that's pretty sad. I know some sets are specifically for Black Friday as mentioned above, but I don't think this would be this far in advance, and not truly a massive sale or anything.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll be sure to check the panel when I get it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You say that now, but IIRC, they had an issue back with their old LCD sets of them "blowing up". Not catching fire, but the innards breaking. Class action suit.

I hope mine does in like two years....lol. They don't really fix flat panels so if you spent some $$$ I always advise getting the warranty. You might just get the next gen display, I did once.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I hope mine does in like two years....lol. They don't really fix flat panels so if you spent some $$$ I always advise getting the warranty. You might just get the next gen display, I did once.

Mine's a cheapie 65" 4k display... but it's got a 5 year warranty. I'm really really hoping it craps out in year 5.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Hmm...

I got an AU Optronics panel. Got it early and watching the Wild game right now.

Now I only have a 720p cable source, so it's hard for me to judge, but... not impressed at all with the 720p to be honest... I'll need to play with the settings though first. Still holding hope I can get this looking great.

Edit: Need to try a 4k source still. Going to try Youtube in a little bit.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Man the price difference on TVs from Canada to the US seems ridiculous. Looking at some of the samsungs and even without the sale prices on right now the Canadian prices seem to be near double to the US prices. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->