Prospect Info: Jonny Tychonick (D) 48th Overall

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I doubt that will ever be the case but again, we're talking about a 20 year old defenseman who hasn't been given much opportunity. Tychonick looks a bit like a long shot but it is VERY early in the game and it's not like Brady has become some dominant beast getting 90 points per season out of the gate.

Chances are Tychonick never approaches Tkachuk's impact but he's a 20 year old D. Soooo much can happen with this player.

I’d step away from this comparison ... chances are JT never reach BT’s rookie season impact let alone anything better.

Reactions: aragorn and h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I’d step away from this comparison ... chances are JT never reach BT’s rookie season impact let alone anything better.

Agree, the OP is one of the strangest posts I’ve ever seen on these boards.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder about this scouting staff.

They seem to like their puck possession pmds over size and their 2 way safer pick forwards over skill. Hopefully we get a couple good puck possession , skilled forwards to help us play more time in the offensive zone this year. When you spend the gobs of time in our own end we have been it certainly makes you want more size and defense first D. I would like to see us draft a few D ( say 2 RD and 2 LD) with size and physicality later in the draft and see if we can get at least 1 to pan out as a shut down D that isn't a giveaway machine.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
They seem to like their puck possession pmds over size and their 2 way safer pick forwards over skill. Hopefully we get a couple good puck possession , skilled forwards to help us play more time in the offensive zone this year. When you spend the gobs of time in our own end we have been it certainly makes you want more size and defense first D. I would like to see us draft a few D ( say 2 RD and 2 LD) with size and physicality later in the draft and see if we can get at least 1 to pan out as a shut down D that isn't a giveaway machine.

I would say Cowen, Weircioch and Ceci had sort of ruined any idea of this team selecting d-men with more size and less skill for any future drafts...at least for now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would say Cowen, Weircioch and Ceci had sort of ruined any idea of this team selecting d-men with more size and less skill for any future drafts...at least for now.

Wiercioch wasn't really a dman with size and less skill, if anything he was a dman that got by on skill but lack of strength and skating made it hard to transfer his skill at the next level.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Wiercioch wasn't really a dman with size and less skill, if anything he was a dman that got by on skill but lack of strength and skating made it hard to transfer his skill at the next level.

He is 6'5'' 200-ish lbs, so obviously that would explain why he was weak, and you are right to say he probably had more "skill" or raw talent than the other two, but his height to weight ratio is pretty much what made a fairly weak player. The skill alone was obviously not enough to keep him around in the NHL, otherwise with a little bulking he could have been a career NHL'er.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Key for me is take these guys later in the draft. Let them perculate as long as you can

Ceci looked like he had everything you'd want..One big IF never panned out for him.

Injuries really derailed Cowen. I thought he had potential when he was drafted and early on.

Could add Englund to that list .. Without looking I think he was a 2nd round pick. Lacked an important fundamental, other than that he's ok. We may not get him in the 5th round , and someone else could take him too early, but if we took him late .. not as big a deal re the pick.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Agreed. The Senators play most of the game in their own and the neutral zone. The reason is a lack of top line talent who can maintain puck possession and enter/remain in the O zone. The DJ forchecking was a big improvement last season but the horses are not yet on the team to make a difference in wins. Hopefully this draft will provide 2 forwards and 1 D to improve this team as it is full of holes at all positions at this time. I also think that next season will also see the Senators in the bottom quartile if not bottom 5 in the league due to the many holes in the roster. But that will lead to another high draft pick which should help in future years after the draft picks mature and develop. Hopefully the team does not abandon the rebuild through the draft strategy by adding old over-the-hill UFAs in a less than beneficial attempt to provide guidance to the young players and become a bubble team..

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed. The Senators play most of the game in their own and the neutral zone. The reason is a lack of top line talent who can maintain puck possession and enter/remain in the O zone. The DJ forchecking was a big improvement last season but the horses are not yet on the team to make a difference in wins. Hopefully this draft will provide 2 forwards and 1 D to improve this team as it is full of holes at all positions at this time. I also think that next season will also see the Senators in the bottom quartile if not bottom 5 in the league due to the many holes in the roster. But that will lead to another high draft pick which should help in future years after the draft picks mature and develop. Hopefully the team does not abandon the rebuild through the draft strategy by adding old over-the-hill UFAs in a less than beneficial attempt to provide guidance to the young players and become a bubble team..

I'm pretty much in agreement with your view here, but i think it's going to happen quicker than you. Or not. We've got lots of young talent that should be statistically entering their primes and those guys hopefully are able to make a difference in zone time in the O zone. I don't see guys like Brown and Batherson and Balcers and Brannstrom taking 3 years from now to hit their primes. They'll be hitting them in 21-22 and if they're not good enough, then we've got a problem

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Key for me is take these guys later in the draft. Let them perculate as long as you can

Ceci looked like he had everything you'd want..One big IF never panned out for him.

Injuries really derailed Cowen. I thought he had potential when he was drafted and early on.

Yep Cowen before and after injury (well, he had several but the 2012-13 injury really affected his fundamentals) was not the same player. When you don't have the same physical tools and lost mobility/quickness, you end up hesitating and second guessing which can be fatal in the NHL. Only players with well above average hockey IQ can survive in the NHL being slower than average (ex : Mark Stone without elite hockey IQ would probably not be a NHL player). Also look at Michalek before and after knee injuries. He was a mini Pavel Bure with the Sharks bulldozing his way through defenses with speed and force. He was still pretty fast after injuries but lost his elite elusivness so he had to adapt and become somewhat of a different player.

Regarding Ceci, things were looking good before Boucher who for some reason (well, mostly because of the lack of tools given by the team and its budget) made him one of the most utilized shutdown D-man in the NHL. Before Boucher, he was playing under 20 mins per game, was producing more and didn't have heavy dZS%. Well, it's not exactly true because the trend started in 2015-16 but he was still being somewhat sheltered under 20 mins a game with vets playing in front of him. He was allowed to be more offensive and scored 10 goals and 14 assists at EVEN STRENGTH in 2015-16, which is pretty good. Then Boucher came. His confidence has been shattered since (important factor in the NHL) so it's up to him to reinvent himself and simplify his game.

Making a top shutdown D-man was like asking a relief pitcher to become your N.1 starting pitcher... chances are that it will fail miserably. Again another proof you can't cut the corners in the NHL and invest as much as possible to not ask your players to be more than what they are.

I believe Ceci would do fine on a team with a strong established defense using him as its 5th D-man and giving him a more reasonable contract. The Preds should look for that and play him behind Josi, Ellis, Ekholm and Fabbro and bump Tinordi, Santini and/or Weber (UFA) out of the lineup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'll be surprised if Tychonick can make the Belleville Senators lineup someday. He might make the ECHL team though & be a reserve for Belleville.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Lol what?.... Bahl is going to be a stud shut down d man.
Agree to disagree. If he makes it, I can't see him being more than a third pairing type of guy. His offense is very limited. I would probably take him over Tychonick today, though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You've probably never seen him play a minute of hockey in your life. Just admit it.
I've never seen him play a minute of hockey in my life, but I did see him at the development camp which basically told me everything I needed to know about his play. Why are you so high on him? Have you ever seen him play? Did you see him at the development camp?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I've never seen him play a minute of hockey in my life, but I did see him at the development camp which basically told me everything I needed to know about his play. Why are you so high on him? Have you ever seen him play? Did you see him at the development camp?
you should read more carefully because I said I don’t think he will become an nhl player at this point.

The fact that you are so quick to suggest a player who was a second round pick a few years ago won’t even make the AHL because you saw him in a bunch of practices at dev camp is ridiculous (but not surprising).

And yeah I’ve seen him play actual competitive games. He definitely has the ability to play in the AHL in a few years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agree to disagree. If he makes it, I can't see him being more than a third pairing type of guy. His offense is very limited. I would probably take him over Tychonick today, though.
His first pass and skating is very strong for a shut down d man, he is also great on his back hand. He is going to be a reliable partner for an undersized offensive d man. Which every team seems to be drafting. Longer develop curve, he was downright dominant this season.

Doubt he becomes a ‘stud’ defensmen imo
I dissagree, he was an absolute force this year. His skating for his size is terrific.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Kevin Bahl in our own back yard and this is the player they decided to take. Too bad.
@bert i might not be a huge Kevin Bahl proponent but this decision looks very bad now seeing the team’s direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad