48 game season is perfectly legit for a stanley cup winner,,,read this

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
exactly, i never complained about the devils winning in 95, they deserved it fair and square, every team had a chance to win the cup that year and the devils did it, whoever wins this year is fine by me

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Better teams demonstrate their worth over a longer season. This shorter season combined with allowing 8 teams in allows for undeserving teams making it in. I think 82 is too long but 48 is too short. 60 would be ideal IMO.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Technically, a season doesn't even need to take place for the Stanley Cup to be awarded.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/19/stanley-cup-will-stay-put-even-if-nhl-season-is-cancelled/

I always believed that the cup could be awarded to a team not in the NHL as it doesn't "belong" to the NHL. It's awarded to the best ice hockey team in North America, it just so happens that it's always been an NHL team for nearly a century now. I thought if this season was fully cancelled it should be awarded to the best Junior team as theyre the . That would invariably be the CHL Memorial Cup champ, imagine that. I guess the AHL would have a good argument for it too.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
the way i see it an asterisk should put put next to an mlb players name enducted into the hall of fame although admittedly recording statistics with the help of performance enhancing drugs because they by and far had an advantage over all other players, however i dont think an asterisk is needed next to a stanley cup winning team that played 48 games just like every other team and player in the league, whether it be the rangers, kings, penguins or capitals.

now of course if we win fans from other teams are going to try and bring up the point that the season was shorter however both teams were in the same situation, nobody cheated or had the upperhand.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
the way i see it an asterisk should put put next to an mlb players name enducted into the hall of fame although admittedly recording statistics with the help of performance enhancing drugs because they by and far had an advantage over all other players, however i dont think an asterisk is needed next to a stanley cup winning team that played 48 games just like every other team and player in the league, whether it be the rangers, kings, penguins or capitals.

now of course if we win fans from other teams are going to try and bring up the point that the season was shorter however both teams were in the same situation, nobody cheated or had the upperhand.

younger teams have the advantage in a condensed schedule. thats just one of several imbalances created by halving a schedule that everyone is used to. Now after many seasons of having 48 games those imbalances dwindle away as the league evolves into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->