Post-Game Talk: 46 Wins, baby!! 4:3 Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I didn't realize that Plekanec actually had an assist last night!

Funny thing is that he was skating to the bench or on the bench when Mitch scored. He is playing better. We might need to get the SC final to see him peak :)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Rielly 1 point shy of 50, while missing a handful of games.

Who was our last 50pt dman? Kaberle? It's been a while.
Yep Kaberle in 2007-2008, a decade ago with 53 points. He was close with 49 points in 2009-2010 though, still a long time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Funny thing is that he was skating to the bench or on the bench when Mitch scored. He is playing better. We might need to get the SC final to see him peak :)

All kidding aside, the hot takes re. Plekanec have been pretty ... hot. I'm also really happy to see Polak playing well recently, so many people were complaining about that signing which was pretty dumb considering it was low risk, he was coming off an injury and I'm sure the thinking was that maybe he can help us when it's playoff time, not that he would excel over the grind of the regular season.

Team coming together nicely, looks like the pieces are falling into place just at the right time and I have a feeling Zaitsev is going to be ready as well when the time comes. I don't know how I'm gonna get through these next couple of weeks, I'm already wound tighter than a drum. This spring could be epic. :nod:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I think it's time we stop saying we need a number one on the back end.

We already have one in Rielly.
Rielly *wasn't* a #1. And he really stagnated for a year or two, and it looked like we weren't going to get a #1 out of him.

But, this year, Morgan is (5v5, min 1000 min):
  1. 21st in GS/60
  2. 5th in P1/60
  3. 55th in xGF%
And Gardiner is right there:
  1. 43rd in GS/60
  2. 15th in P1/60
  3. 41st in xGF%
There are roughly 62 top pairing D in the NHL, and our top 2 D actually look pretty good!

With Liljegren and Dermott coming up, we're actually way more set than we ever thought we'd be at this time last year.

And we're going to have to 50 point D this season.

Reactions: MattySnipes

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Rielly is tied for 14th. in offense for defenders.

He's behind, amongst other, Tyson Barrie who has played 8 fewer games.

I don't really think points alone make you a #whatever defender.

John Carlson would be the best defenseman this year if points were the determining factor.

2nd. best +/-, Patrik Nemeth so obviously, it isn't the determinant.

Leafs defense is far from a finished product, but hopefully there are assets percolating in the minors getting ready to be served.

Reactions: ITM

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Why are people talking about Andersen tying the goalie wins record?

Raycroft (06-07) and Belfour (02-03) each had 37 win seasons. (link)

Andersen just won his 36th. (2 links)

Am I missing something? He needs one more to tie.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I could have sworn I heard Romanuk say that the Leafs would clinch with a win yesterday?

It does not look like they have clinched yet

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Matthews doesn't look 100%, but he's contributing. Too bad it would have been nice to have him going for the playoffs.

5th. in even strength goals, but only 2 on the PP. If he can get that working for him ... but you know who else doesn't score much on the PP ... McDavid, with 5 PP goals along with his 34 ESG.

Matthews and Nylander tied for the team lead at even strength.

Now about the 2nd. unit PP ... maybe when Johnsson gets up to speed?

Last edited:

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017

John Carlson would be the best defenseman this year if points were the determining factor.
There's also this:

image.jpg

NiftyMits

Mar 24, 2018
I could have sworn I heard Romanuk say that the Leafs would clinch with a win yesterday?

Don't believe anything Romancuck says. He has also stated many times Freddy is getting a shutout or the Leafs are going to win with 12 minutes to go in the third and jinxes it. Worst commentator ever.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
100 years of existence .. Check

New historical franchise records for Wins and Home Wins in a season... Check

Shana-management plan ... Priceless !!!!!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Romanuk is an idiot. :banghead:

He is a broadcaster for a team with the largest global fan base and he himself, is not aware of the clinching scenarios - so glad we don't have to hear him anymore. You are right though, moments before opening face-off he said Leafs clinch with a win tonight in any fashion - which is only half right. Colorado had to win in regulation for us to officially clinch, but this was already news to the fan base by early afternoon, leave it to Romanuk to not be aware. I apologize on his behalf for fans he left confused.

Reactions: NiftyMits

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
There's also this:

image.jpg
So Rielly faces essentially the toughest competition in the League, starts in the D/Neutral-zone way more than the Offensive-zone, and still has some of the best possession numbers, while also putting up 50 points? Am I reading that all right? That's crazy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So Rielly faces essentially the toughest competition in the League, starts in the D/Neutral-zone way more than the Offensive-zone, and still has some of the best possession numbers, while also putting up 50 points? Am I reading that all right? That's crazy.
Yeah. What keeps Rielly from getting recognition as an elite defender right now is that he's a bit like Kadri, he's good because he can drive transition and offense against the toughest opposition. His purely defensive metrics aren't all that impressive by themselves. He gets terrific results his own way, not by the usual two criterias (Scoring a la Karlsson, all-round defense a la Weber).

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews doesn't look 100%, but he's contributing. Too bad it would have been nice to have him going for the playoffs.

5th. in even strength goals, but only 2 on the PP. If he can get that working for him ... but you know who else doesn't score much on the PP ... McDavid, with 5 PP goals along with his 34 ESG.

Matthews and Nylander tied for the team lead at even strength.

Now about the 2nd. unit PP ... maybe when Johnsson gets up to speed?

He has four points in four games since returning from injury and has made many sound defensive plays. Sure, there were goals score against when he was on the ice, but see Hyman and Nylander last night for details.

He's been fine.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
1 more point until the century mark :)

I can't believe, in an era with loser points, the Leafs haven't hit the century mark since the 04-05 lockout.
loser point:rolleyes: dumbest expression the media ever came up with

1 point has been awarded since the very first tie, even when the league went to regular season OT it was awarded, the thought being that if you earned a tie in regulation you need to be rewarded...you could by rights call the shoot-out point the bonus point

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Credit to Polak where it's due.. with about 8 minutes left in the third, the Leafs had just spent the last five minutes hemmed in their own zone. Polak got the puck and the Leafs players having been out for a while, he very easily could have dumped it back out to centre or worse for icing. But instead, he channeled his inner Gardiner and had the poise to skate it to the open ice, pausing long enough to allow himself to make a good pass out to the neutral zone that effectively broke the siege. JVR scored the insurance goal about a minute later.

I like how Polak has been playing lately and it's not the "toughness and intangibles", it's because he is playing with more hockey sense than a lot of us thought he had.

he's been playing this well since January and has played that way in the past going back to his St Loo day's, the big man plays an important role, not only on the PK but with his physicality breaking up cycles and as you said a keen hockey sense.....there is no corsi that measures his contribution, but his team-mates get it and appreciate it.

LeaFlanders who have had the knives out all season for this guy and mostly undeserved, accusing him of all kinds of nonsense, may have noticed his excellent play of late, but have so far decided not to acknowledge it, so as not to(as the hippies used to say) blow their own trip!

Either way, the coach who apparently knows nothing about hockey, systems or team development has been proven right in Polaks usage and has molded this team and installed a system that lends itself to a pretty good brand of hockey.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
loser point:rolleyes: dumbest expression the media ever came up with

1 point has been awarded since the very first tie, even when the league went to regular season OT it was awarded, the thought being that if you earned a tie in regulation you need to be rewarded...you could by rights call the shoot-out point the bonus point

I couldn't agree more. If there's a dumber term I can't think of what it might be. You get a point for being tied at the end of regulation. YOU GET NOTHING FOR LOSING.

he's been playing this well since January and has played that way in the past going back to his St Loo day's, the big man plays an important role, not only on the PK but with his physicality breaking up cycles and as you said a keen hockey sense.....there is no corsi that measures his contribution, but his team-mates get it and appreciate it.

LeaFlanders who have had the knives out all season for this guy and mostly undeserved, accusing him of all kinds of nonsense, may have noticed his excellent play of late, but have so far decided not to acknowledge it, so as not to(as the hippies used to say) blow their own trip!

Either way, the coach who apparently knows nothing about hockey, systems or team development has been proven right in Polaks usage and has molded this team and installed a system that lends itself to a pretty good brand of hockey.

:clap::clap:

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

2nd. best +/-, Patrik Nemeth so obviously, it isn't the determinant.

Leafs defense is far from a finished product, but hopefully there are assets percolating in the minors getting ready to be served.

Liljegren was playing w/Borgman last night and looked pretty tight together along w/Rosen they all look like candidates for the future top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad