Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Where's the offensive potential? What's to say he won't be just a third line grinder á helm/abdelkader (yes abdelkader is not a point producing top-6 player on a real team)

I don't think it's good drafting to draft 3rd-line players with 2nd rounders... 1st-2nd rounders must always go to top-4 dmen or top-6 forwards (potential wise that is)

Personally, I don't like this pick at all. Bertuzzi is enough IMO. There were plenty of skilled D-men available at #47 to pick instead

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Where's the offensive potential? What's to say he won't be just a third line grinder á helm/abdelkader (yes abdelkader is not a point producing top-6 player on a real team)

I don't think it's good drafting to draft 3rd-line players with 2nd rounders... 1st-2nd rounders must always go to top-4 dmen or top-6 forwards (potential wise that is)

Personally, I don't like this pick at all. Bertuzzi is enough IMO. There were plenty of skilled D-men available at #47 to pick instead

Look at how many points Lucic and Simmonds had when they were drafted in the second round.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I get the feeling he's going to be an absolute force of nature; the Wings desperately need what Givani brings, and if the team's current prospect/talent pool is any indication, the team's identity will be one of a big, skilled, fast and feisty lineup. Feels a bit like Philadelphia's identity, really.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016

Um let me name some players drafted that are worth more then we can afford . . Wait it would take to long. Ever heard of Shea Weber, ****
Just as many bust happen in the first 15 as the second round. Go do some research

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016

And second what's wrong with a good third liner over a first round bust. You tell me. Most picks don't even scrape the nhl. You sound drunk

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Heard he looked pretty good, but hard for players like him to really stand out at a camp like this. The prospect tourney will probably be a lot better place to see the level of the new guys imo

George Malik claims everyone looks good. Wasn't his offensive game an issue at the camp? Seemed to definitely be behind the top guys.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
George Malik claims everyone looks good. Wasn't his offensive game an issue at the camp? Seemed to definitely be behind the top guys.

Yeah I think someone claimed he didn’t have the best hands/finish but did great in the corners/front of the net, which is more of his game anyways. Plus its hard to really grind and run on your fellow teammates at camps like this. Players like Givani Smith and Bertuzzi won’t stick out as much there as the prospect camp where you’re allowed to be physical/more of a pest. I honestly don’t think these camps are helpful at all when evaluating prospects, they just do drills and play 4 on 4 and 3 on 3.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah I think someone claimed he didn’t have the best hands/finish but did great in the corners/front of the net, which is more of his game anyways. Plus its hard to really grind and run on your fellow teammates at camps like this. Players like Givani Smith and Bertuzzi won’t stick out as much there as the prospect camp where you’re allowed to be physical/more of a pest. I honestly don’t think these camps are helpful at all when evaluating prospects, they just do drills and play 4 on 4 and 3 on 3.

While you're definitely correct, your comparison to Tyler Bertuzzi is too. This kid is a hit or a miss IMO. Could crack a fourth line spot. He's got 2 more years in Guelph and then 3 in Grand Rapids.

Everyone seems to love Smith. I personally am more excited with a guy like Ehn.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I think we did fine with the dmen. Don't need to pick too many. Hopefully he's just a different color McCarty

Rix

Jul 4, 2015
How'd he look at development camp?

Big and strong, absolutely lit up a couple guys early on before toning it down for the rest of camp. Skill wise he showed some okay hands and a definite drive and ability to skate the puck up the ice, but his decision making ability was definitely inferior to the rest of his attributes. Turned over the puck more than anyone else, but don't forget he also threw more hits than anyone else too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Look at how many points Lucic and Simmonds had when they were drafted in the second round.

For discussion's sake :

Milan Lucic, the year he was drafted : 19 pts in 62 games (147 PIM) in the WHL
Wayne Simmonds, the year he was drafted : 49 pts in 66 games (112 PIM) in the OHL
Givani Smith, the year he was drafted : 42 pts in 65 games (146 PIM) in the OHL

Simmonds is 185 lbs, Smith is 205 and Lucic is 235. All three are around 6'2''.

They all look like similar players and we'll be lucky if we get a Simmonds/Lucic type player in Smith in a couple of years - it sure looks like it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For discussion's sake :

Milan Lucic, the year he was drafted : 19 pts in 62 games (147 PIM) in the WHL
Wayne Simmonds, the year he was drafted : 49 pts in 66 games (112 PIM) in the OHL
Givani Smith, the year he was drafted : 42 pts in 65 games (146 PIM) in the OHL

Simmonds is 185 lbs, Smith is 205 and Lucic is 235. All three are around 6'2''.

They all look like similar players and we'll be lucky if we get a Simmonds/Lucic type player in Smith in a couple of years - it sure looks like it.

And Guelph was awful last year. Have a good feeling about our two 2nd rounders from this draft.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I foresaw this pick and I love it!

I knew that Detroit if given the chance to, would take a shot at a guy other teams possibly saw as questionable.

I think he will be a solid 2nd line scoring winger with sandpaper.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
"ill kill you" sounds like regular trash talk to me. Saying its a death threat sounds like an exhageration. Would be nice if being Black wasn't something people use to taunt others...

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"ill kill you" sounds like regular trash talk to me. Saying its a death threat sounds like an exhageration. Would be nice if being Black wasn't something people use to taunt others...
The death threat(s) were from fans after he gave the greyhounds bench the finger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->