Post-Game Talk: #46 | FLYERS (A) vs. Rangers (H) | Thursday, Apr. 22, 2021 | Flyers win 3-2

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
NAK seems like an inconsistent dumpster fire, Lindblom hasn't been the same since his bout with Covid, Patrick has been up and down -- more up recently but this game no support from his wingers. I swear the Hayes, Farabee, and Allison line is the opposite of the Patrick line -- Hayes is a dumpster fire and his wingers get no support from him, same with the Laughton, TK and JVR only Laughton looks as if he is trying -- Hayes looks disinterested.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes looks disinterested? He was one of the few Flyers who showed up the first period.
Farabee - Hayes - Allison were creating scoring chances left and right, Allison got stoned twice.

Right now Hayes is fighting puck luck, but he leads all Flyer forwards in HDCF this season
Hayes 105
Giroux 97
JVR 89
And xGF/60
Hayes 2.29
Giroux 2.24
Couts 2.21
JVR 2.17
Farabee 2.13
TK 2.11
Lindblom 2.08
Laughton 2.05
Voracek 2.00

Right now what's killing this team up front is Frost's injury and Patrick's struggles
G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Allison
JVR - ??? - TK
Laughton isn't a good 3C, Patrick is looking for his mojo, Frost is on IR, Laczynski has a hip pointer

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's a shame that Laczynski, Frost, Hart or even Ustimenko are unfit to play right now. Would be a perfect no pressure fun stage for them right now.

Hopefully York, Zamula or Högberg are at least getting a couple of games.

They are scratching Hogberg in the AHL. Just another poorly handled prospect because Gordor loves his veteran safety blankets just like Hak and AV.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Hayes looks disinterested? He was one of the few Flyers who showed up the first period.
Farabee - Hayes - Allison were creating scoring chances left and right, Allison got stoned twice.

Right now Hayes is fighting puck luck, but he leads all Flyer forwards in HDCF this season
Hayes 105
Giroux 97
JVR 89
And xGF/60
Hayes 2.29
Giroux 2.24
Couts 2.21
JVR 2.17
Farabee 2.13
TK 2.11
Lindblom 2.08
Laughton 2.05
Voracek 2.00

Right now what's killing this team up front is Frost's injury and Patrick's struggles
G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Allison
JVR - ??? - TK
Laughton isn't a good 3C, Patrick is looking for his mojo, Frost is on IR, Laczynski has a hip pointer
Maybe it is puck luck, to me, he has just never been one who seems to give his winger opportunities but again it comes off as disinterested -- disinterested in playing hard in anywhere but the offensive zone.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I watched Provorov just have a pretty darn good game. Am I crazy and seeing (or not seeing) things? Outside of his robotic blah-ness on the PP, I thought he played soundly without anything glaring standing out.

You said Ghost had a very good game and don't mention Provorov, but we all saw a couple of those turnovers from Ghost (the one on the PP in our own zone was especially awful) and I don't recall ever saying outloud "what a horrible turnover" from Provorov as I am used to saying about players like Hagg and what we saw from Ghost. Everyone has turnovers and I don't expect perfection by any means, but I do expect tape to tape passes and I don't ever want to see turnovers like we saw from him on the PP.

I'm not nitpicking Ghost. I think overall he had a good game but consider Provorov's to have been better (outside of the 2 points). No clue what the advanced stats say, so feel free to post them if you want.

No, you're not crazy. I think someone calling his game "dominant" and the other guy being triggered that I didn't list him are both pretty hilarious, but that doesn't mean I thought he had a bad game. It's more the perception of Provorov that I have a problem with than the player itself.

Top line, Sanheim, Ghost were very good, as usual

Myers, Hagg, Hayes, and the 4th line were ass, as usual

Elliott wasn't as bad as usual

Therrien is the worst ever

To clarify the above, the post was kidding around about how it's always the same guys having good and bad games, "as usual". So I only listed the guys who are almost always good and the guys who are almost always bad... it didn't mean nobody else was good or bad this game. In other words, it was more a comment on the season as the whole, instead of just this one game. I wasn't listing everyone who was good or bad last night.

Just a dumb semi-sarcastic throwaway post that I didn't really put much thought into or expect to cause a fuss. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It is the records against Washington and Boston that are more pronounced. Two teams that can be physical.

Buffalo 5-3-0
NY Rangers 4-2-1
Pittsburgh 4-2-0
NY Islanders 3-1-4
New Jersey 2-1-0
Boston 2-4-2
Washington 1-5-0
------------------------
Bos + Was 3-9-2
Others 18-9-5

Yep. This team is soft. Those who claim the days of physical play is over should look at who the Flyers beat and who beats them.
We're fast enough to play with finesse teams, it's the physical forecheck that causes the Flyers' defense to become undone, and the inability or unwillingness of forwards to go to the dirty areas and make plays leads to unscreened point shots.

Watching Allison is like a breath of fresh air, high energy, physical, goes to the net.
He's not a slug, he's just a skilled player with size who plays the game the "old fashioned" way.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It is the records against Washington and Boston that are more pronounced. Two teams that can be physical.

Buffalo 5-3-0
NY Rangers 4-2-1
Pittsburgh 4-2-0
NY Islanders 3-1-4
New Jersey 2-1-0
Boston 2-4-2
Washington 1-5-0
------------------------
Bos + Was 3-9-2
Others 18-9-5

I missed the whole bit JJ and Jonesy were mentioning yesterday about the league considering loosening up contact rules in front of the net? It was sometime in the 1st period I think.

What exactly is the league considering, do you know?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yep. This team is soft. Those who claim the days of physical play is over should look at who the Flyers beat and who beats them.
We're fast enough to play with finesse teams, it's the physical forecheck that causes the Flyers' defense to become undone, and the inability or unwillingness of forwards to go to the dirty areas and make plays leads to unscreened point shots.

Watching Allison is like a breath of fresh air, high energy, physical, goes to the net.
He's not a slug, he's just a skilled player with size who plays the game the "old fashioned" way.

The teams cited have other skills as well. But the physical differences are noted perhaps more so against Washington and while the complexion of the team can't be altered overnight, it should be part of intense off-season meetings as I mentioned in yesterday's GDT along with "coming to play every night," passivity, and other areas that need attention. And to emphasize a point, winning sells but so does entertainment. A boring team that is middling isn't going to see tickets.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I missed the whole bit JJ and Jonesy were mentioning yesterday about the league considering loosening up contact rules in front of the net? It was sometime in the 1st period I think.

I didn't hear their reference. Did they mentioned cross-checking? There is reported discussion that the NHL is trying to reduce cross-checking perhaps in goal scrums.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

I found the possible source from a prior discussion...

Sources: NHL targeting Oct. 12 start for '21-22

Among the NHL rules that were discussed with NHL vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell on Wednesday, the GMs were briefed on the "puck over the glass" delay-of-game rule, after there was some concern about the minor penalty it carries being too harsh. Some GMs cited the icing rule, which only results in a faceoff in the offending team's zone with no chance for a line change. But there was no formal move for an adjustment of this rule or any rule-change proposals to come out of the meeting.

Campbell also presented examples of cross-checking infractions to the GMs. There was a focus on some forms of it that result in obstruction of opposing players. One general manager told ESPN that he felt it was a signal that the NHL would crack down on the stick fouls, but another source said it was more a standard compilation of clips on a specific infraction that are routinely shown to the GMs to re-explain officiating standards.​

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Pretty sure its the opposite. They want to crack down on cross-checking.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Well I almost lasted 2 full periods last night! The most noticeable player to me was Allison.

Elliott kept this game alive for the rest of the guys.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Pretty sure its the opposite. They want to crack down on cross-checking.

Interesting. I'm almost 100% certain they thought it meant loosening the rules, because defensemen are not able to defend the front of the net as well as in the past, and they were saying it would be a welcome change.

I'll see if I can find a clip.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Interesting. I'm almost 100% certain they thought it meant loosening the rules, because defensemen are not able to defend the front of the net as well as in the past, and they were saying it would be a welcome change.

I'll see if I can find a clip.
This is what I heard as well. Immense possibility that they were just talking out their asses though.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Boston isn't dominating the Flyers because of physicality. They have the best line in hockey and their PP has their way with the Flyers' PK.

Washington is more physical, sure, but they also have scoring the depth and have allowed the Flyers to beat themselves with turnovers. Their PP has also beaten the Flyers PK like a rented mule.

The roster has more than enough players that are willing to mix it up on an individual level, plenty of whom that have done it in the past. It's not new that passive play is a hallmark of AV coached teams.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
It's a shame that Laczynski, Frost, Hart or even Ustimenko are unfit to play right now. Would be a perfect no pressure fun stage for them right now.

Hopefully York, Zamula or Högberg are at least getting a couple of games.

Hogberg the last time I checked is out with an injury. He did not play in the last Phantoms. But then again none of the Phantoms on the ice last game played either......

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Boston isn't dominating the Flyers because of physicality. They have the best line in hockey and their PP has their way with the Flyers' PK.

Washington is more physical, sure, but they also have scoring the depth and have allowed the Flyers to beat themselves with turnovers. Their PP has also beaten the Flyers PK like a rented mule.

The roster has more than enough players that are willing to mix it up on an individual level, plenty of whom that have done it in the past. It's not new that passive play is a hallmark of AV coached teams.
Yeah, I don't buy that this teams problem is being too soft or that they can't handle "tough" teams.

Last year we were 3-0-1 against the Caps and 2-1 against the Bruins. Those are both "tough" teams but we did fine... and it's not like we suddenly got softer this year. The main thing that's changed between then and now is the system and the horrific goaltending we've had.

Those teams are beating us this year because we have a 0.840 sv% vs the Caps and 0.875 vs the Bruins. It's not that they have the puck the entire game and we can't handle them, it's that they're scoring on a high percentage of their shots.

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

They have been extremely soft. Perhaps its magnified more because of the losses as well but the aversion to engaging in any real “after the whistle stuff”, or playing in an aggressive manner has been firmly around since Hakstol.

There are many examples of Konecny, Farabee, and other youngsters taking absolute punishment with little push back from the rest of the squad. I was somewhat surprised to see it bleed further with Couturier and Giroux being targets and no retaliation either.

Physicality isn’t where it used to be in this league, that’s clear. Teams that willingly get abused however are taken advantage of.

There is a saying, of initiate and don’t retaliate - that hasn’t consistently really been seen since the days of Laviolette.

A multitude of issues overall is obvious, but they are far too easy to play against - especially for a club that isn’t going to overwhelm teams with star power. I refuse to believe they all lost their balls as soon as being drafted here. It’s a message to play this way, that’s clear.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Mix it up isn't the issue, winning board battles, going to the net, etc.

JVR is a good example, great at going to the net on the PP when it's 5 on 4 and the defense can't punish him as much, but is often MIA 5x5.
Now some players aren't strong enough for that role, but I've seen teams rotate forwards through the crease instead of having them stand there, that's a good move for TK and Farabee. Too often the Flyers cycle around the perimeter, never attack the trapezoid or set screens.

Now some of this may be COVID, Lindblom showed flashes earlier in the season of being his old self, but has really faded.

Reactions: IronMarshal

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
offseason, sign a stay at home physical Dman
and, a veteran Dman to play the left side.....
while Provy plays the RIGHT side, WAIT, I hear the coach hollering something.....
"Provy get your butt on the right side, STAY THERE and figure it out"
dag darn it :cool:
Cup is ours :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->