Prospect Info: William Strömgren 45th Overall (2021)

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah, I don't know. There could be many reasons why he struggled that we as fans aren't privy to. He was one of the youngest players in his draft year and has extremely raw tools. Give him more time.
Just look at Raty. Not saying they are comparable players, but rookies/young guys get very raw deals in the SHL. Raty was a conensus top pick, got stymied by the team he was on with ice-time and the politicking there, and then thrived in a better situation willing to play him. Just reading stat lines does a raw player like Stromgren a disservice on its own, but given the league he is in? It'd take watching him across the leagues he has played in to truly get a read on what all is going on with him.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Not great numbers this year for Stromgren. Still only 19. Will be interesting to see what the plan is for him over in NA and how he adapts.

edit apparently reporting to the Wranglers on an ATO

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hopefully he can do something in the AHL because he looked like a bad pick at the time and hasn't done anything to prove otherwise. Prospects like him usually take longer to develop but just based on the stat sheet he won't amount to much.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
he looked like a bad pick at the time
Not really sure if that's true. He was the safe pick for that range (he was projected 42, 45, 46. We got him at 45), but some projections had him as a late first (20th-30th) with a "medium risk high reward" label.

Underwhelming pick (in terms of wow factor), sure. Vanilla/bland/safe pick? Yeah. Bad pick? Seems like a stretch. It's not like he was a Hunter Smith in the Second Round pick, or even a Yan Kuznetsov (who I do like, but in the second was definitely a bad spot to grab him).

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Not really sure if that's true. He was the safe pick for that range (he was projected 42, 45, 46. We got him at 45), but some projections had him as a late first (20th-30th) with a "medium risk high reward" label.

Underwhelming pick (in terms of wow factor), sure. Vanilla/bland/safe pick? Yeah. Bad pick? Seems like a stretch. It's not like he was a Hunter Smith in the Second Round pick, or even a Yan Kuznetsov (who I do like, but in the second was definitely a bad spot to grab him).

Well "bad" might not be the most accurate word to describe the pick at the time, it definitely wasn't looked at as a good pick. I hope he turns out to be a great player but I never had high hopes for him anyway. Especially with the track record the Flames scouts have had drafting/signing players out of European leagues.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Well at least we are getting him into the system. Some interesting low profile forwards in Stromgren, Kerins, Nikolayev, Schwindt and Ciona. Hopefully add Beck to that group also. Some talent there; hopefully a few make the NHL as depth or regulars.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He was the high risk/high reward pick a lot of people wish we made more of. In his draft year he was 6’5” but could really skate and has great hands without the numbers yet. Guy will be a work in progress until he makes a leap or frankly just doesn’t. Pretty much the same gamble we took on Ruzicka just with different factors.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Well at least we are getting him into the system. Some interesting low profile forwards in Stromgren, Kerins, Nikolayev, Schwindt and Ciona. Hopefully add Beck to that group also. Some talent there; hopefully a few make the NHL as depth or regulars.
Add Parker Bell to that list too.
Interestingly, alot of those guys are LWers. Have to think Pospisil hangs them up, we don't resign Hunt & just maybe Emilio is done with our club. Hopefully we can keep Phillips as an AHL vet though.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
If this kid was in the CHL he would be viewed in a completely different manner.

He played on an absolutely brutal Brynas team in a mostly limited role. He's got excellent size, skating, and shot. That's a great combination to work with. It may not work out but those are tools you absolutely take a chance on. That's how you end up with guys like Roope Hintz.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's a bad pick (not as bad as Y. Kuznetsov), looking at the players taken in the same round. Still time to turn it around but quite disappointing considering that our 2nd round picks have historically been very good under Treliving

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If this kid was in the CHL he would be viewed in a completely different manner.

He played on an absolutely brutal Brynas team in a mostly limited role. He's got excellent size, skating, and shot. That's a great combination to work with. It may not work out but those are tools you absolutely take a chance on. That's how you end up with guys like Roope Hintz.
This. I heard he was playing limited minutes and in a mostly defensive role. Hard to put up points if you arent getting the opportunity too.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Why wouldn't Pettersen sign with us?
He very well may, I'm just wondering if we'll be making more room for the new kids.
As for William, I guess he falls into the same category as Coronato and cannot play for the Wranglers this year?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He very well may, I'm just wondering if we'll be making more room for the new kids.
As for William, I guess he falls into the same category as Coronato and cannot play for the Wranglers this year?

Stromgren's ELC doesn't start until next season. He signed a ATO so he can play for the Wranglers this season. Coronato's ELC starts this season and was signed after the deadline so he isn't eligible for the playoffs for the Wranglers. Coronato needs the extra time to prepare for next season anyway, he has a chance of making the NHL roster. Stromgren is practically guaranteed to start next season on the Wranglers despite what he does.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
What do we have in

WILLIAM​

STRÖMGREN​

We have a lot of prospects to be excited about:

G - Wolf
D - Morin, Poirier, Brewsky, Miromanov, Grushnikov

but at forward we have good B+, 2nd line upside players such as:
Zary, Coronato, Pelletier

I really like Suniev

And I think Parker Bell and Lipinski have a chance to make it.

I guess I won't totally give up on Honzek until we see a healthy summer and fall...

But back to my question:

What do we have in Stromgren?

He has 25 pts in 63 games but what is impressive is that he has 13 pts in the last 16 games.

That is a HUGE improvement.

Any thoughts from those seeing the Wranglers recently

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I've been pumping his tires for over a month now. I think he's going to be one of our top players next year.

Way late edit, but I obviously mean the Wranglers

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
21 points in his last 31 games (4 in the previous 32). At least production wise, something seems to have clicked for him. Someone needed to step up with Coronado called up again.

Wondering if he’s earned a reward of his first NHL game this year.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Really happy for him. If not mistaken, he is the guy who was taken 2 spots earlier than coveted Stankoven.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's been a lot better as of late. Still choked that we didn't pick Stankoven in that spot.

If he can pan out as a bottom 6er that would be great, but man what could have been.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Stromgren started the year with 4 points in 32 games. 16 points in his last 22 games. He had 1 goal the first 40 games and has 6 the last 20. So at least there was growth this year, just took him months to get going which he was getting acclimated to living and playing in North America. As long as he makes strides next year that's all we can ask for.

Guy is 6'3" so if he can continue to develop he should at the very worst be a bottom 6 guy.

Last edited:

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
It’s his first year in NA. So I’m not surprised it took him a while to adjust. Next year he should be well adapted and I think we’ll know what he is next season. I expect him to be an important players for the Wranglers. My prediction is he’ll have a better career than Pelletier.

Reactions: joescores

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad