GDT: #44: Stars at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The shh was for the post bc it was too long and I don't feel like reading long posts.

You sure have a very specific formula for what you deem to be truth. x + y = casual, embarassed, "revealing" - must be hard to be someone with such little critical thinking or ability to see differing views. Do you live in an echo chamber? Participation awards on your desk?

We're all humans. People have different opinions that does not mean yours is right or wrong. It is what it is. Stop being insulting. You're becoming unbearable like @deadhead. Don't like what I have to say? Offer real dialogue. When you start with a juvenile insult, I stop reading.
Lying again. :laugh:

And it's not long at all, it's just formatted so it takes up space but there's few sentences. And you read it, you're not fooling anybody. You just don't have an answer.

Take your "L" and move on.

Also, you're a hypocrite
Man it must be your time of the month.

I have a difference of opinion in that after multiple crappy coaches, this team despite having the same captain, seems to have a leadership problem. In the normal world, where we aren't hindered by rose colored glasses for specific athletes, it's a pretty natural concern to have. Ask any boss who they look to next if they fire the leadership and still don't get results.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Lying again. :laugh:

And it's not long at all, it's just formatted so it takes up space but there's few sentences. And you read it, you're not fooling anybody. You just don't have an answer.

Take your "L" and move on.

I didn't read it. Stop name calling, it doesn't make your argument better or more factual, it makes you immature. I saw a JVR quote but ultimately yesterday you went on and on about him like you're his biggest fan so it seems you contradict yourself often. I admit when I am wrong on things but am consistent. In the past 12 years, the people who have been on here that go back and forth with me would definitely agree with that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I didn't read it. Stop name calling, it doesn't make your argument better or more factual, it makes you immature. I saw a JVR quote but ultimately yesterday you went on and on about him like you're his biggest fan so it seems you contradict yourself often. I admit when I am wrong on things but am consistent. In the past 12 years, the people who have been on here that go back and forth with me would definitely agree with that.
Like "JVR fanboy"?

More hypocrisy. Yikes. Plus more lies...

And you say you admit when you were wrong... so now would be the time you admit you were wrong. Go ahead. Prove it.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Like "JVR fanboy"?

More hypocrisy. Yikes.

And you say you admit when you were wrong... so now would be the time you admit you were wrong. Go ahead. Prove it.

Yup, I called you a JVR fanboy. You acted like one yesterday. You're saying you're not one, but that's how you acted yesterday. I never called you a liar or casual fan and quite frankly I don't care who you fanboy over but don't get super attached to them to the point where you won't acknowledge their deficiencies

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yup, I called you a JVR fanboy. You acted like one yesterday. You're saying you're not one, but that's how you acted yesterday. I never called you a liar or casual fan and quite frankly I don't care who you fanboy over but don't get super attached to them to the point where you won't acknowledge their deficiencies
Still wrong.

Guess that whole "admit when I'm wrong" thing wasn't true, huh?

Do I need to get my posts from yesterday as proof? OK
It wasn't even about JVR, it was about how being here before wasn't important.

As for JVR, yeah, the problem with him is coaching not the player itself, that's what I was saying. If Fletcher finds a smart coach then we're good, if he finds a dumb coach then we're ****ed. Whether or not JVR will reach his potential as an asset to this team will depend on how he's used, but having him here isn't a bad thing and especially not for the reason I was given by the other guy. If someone doesn't like JVRs style or thinks he wont be useful, that's fine, but using the fact that he was here before as a negative makes no sense.
I don't care about JVR specifically, I've even said I don't consider him a core player. I'm only saying your reasons for complaining about him are stupid and that JVR just so happens to be the guy your irrational complaints are directed at this time. Him playing here before he really broke out with the Leafs is completely irrelevant.

We can use another player as an example... Justin Williams. If we had acquired him a few years ago I wouldn't expect a complaint against it to be that he played here before.

I don't care if you hate JVR and his style of play. Just use a real reason instead of this nonsense.

I'm ready for my apology.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yes, it's an AHL system just as John Stevens' system was. They need to hold themselves accountable though. Their job is to win games; they need to find a way to do that.

He may be a lame coach just as Hakstol, Berube and Stevens were but, and this is the first time I'm saying this, maybe we have a different leadership problem as well. Maybe our C should be an A instead...

It has nothing to do with "learning an AHL system." Oh, they're learning it alright. It's transplanting an AHL system, that good AHL coaches obliterate, into the NHL against NHL coaches using NHL systems.

How are you not seeing the disadvantage? The usage has generally been better, but the Flyers under Gordon have no ability to exit or enter the zone. This chaotic jumble going on right now doesn't even work at the AHL level with one of the best rosters in the league some nights; Gordon has one of the worst coaching records of any NHL head coach; there's a reason he wasn't some coveted hire by another team. This sh*t doesn't fly in the NHL. You might as well lament that a great NHL coach can't succeed with AHL talent, so it's the coach's fault.

This was predictable by anyone who watched the Phantoms.

Magua (November) said:
He plays with almost no system. The passing and entry/exits are horrible. He can't adjust. This is at the AHL level. It's like watching beer league sometimes. This isn't March and they're totally done and need a spot filler. It's November. They are supposed to be competitive. Decisions now and for the future. If they don't interim someone MAYBE worth keeping, it's a disaster on an evaluative level.

Magua (October) said:
Hakstol is a dumbass but he has NHL systems. Gordon has his players play pond hockey. It barely works (or doesn’t) at that level against good teams. On some crude level it would be entertaining, but we might end up closer to the Islanders from last year than actually good.

Magua (May) said:
As much as we despise Hakstol, he's a competent coach. WAIT WAIT let me clarify before you block me! :laugh:

Not a competent NHL coach with his philosophies or personnel choices, but just in a nebulous way: instituting his scheme, structured, etc. That part of him, to the level of an NHL professional, is fine. People who wish for Gordon can see what a truly incompetent Mickey Mouse coach looks like. Or, in the eyes of others, an excellent developer and in-house option worth re-signing.

I could find a million of these courtesy of myself and others. Or just blame Giroux. o_O

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Damn you and @Striiker might actually believe this forum is a dictatorship where if you don't fanboy over JVR or think G is the best captain we ever had, set FIRE
Oh look, more hyperbole.

For someone who thinks they should be able to voice their opinion, you don't actually read others very well.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nothing wrong with Giroux this year as long as your expectations aren't ridiculous, he's not a franchise player who can carry a team by himself or even with a few other talented players, he's a very talented offensive forward (not center anymore) who will be a good anchor for the young players as they arrive the next few years.

There are a lot of problems on this team, but Giroux isn't one of them. He brings it every night.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Nothing wrong with Giroux this year as long as your expectations aren't ridiculous, he's not a franchise player who can carry a team by himself or even with a few other talented players, he's a very talented offensive forward (not center anymore) who will be a good anchor for the young players as they arrive the next few years.

There are a lot of problems on this team, but Giroux isn't one of them. He brings it every night.

giphy.gif

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mean can we rule that out anymore? I just don't know. Maybe time for a new regime. Listen Forsberg was an amazing player but even he said he wasn't the right person to be a captain. Hell, how many of us had coaches that were former players but not the BEST players?

Giroux is the captain of this team, and im in all favor of a shakeup in leadership or whatever if it means we can get out of this funk that we have been in 5 years, but there is no one that comes close to girouxs leadership abilities on this team. I actually think that is one of the things that is hurting us. We have always had briere, hartnell, kimmo, guys like that to provide leadership . This group has giroux and broken simmer.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux is the captain of this team, and im in all favor of a shakeup in leadership or whatever if it means we can get out of this funk that we have been in 5 years, but there is no one that comes close to girouxs leadership abilities on this team. I actually think that is one of the things that is hurting us. We have always had briere, hartnell, kimmo, guys like that to provide leadership . This group has giroux and broken simmer.
Imagine Simmonds being a "leader" in the lockerroom and then watching those lazy backchecks that lost us multiple games in this losing streak.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
CONFIRMED WITH LINK - nothing, no changes today :( I'm sorry to play with your hopes

Everyday I go to work and hope that when I return home, and open up that free agent and trade forum (first), I will be greeted and rewarded for my daily effort with a little bar of green goodness, that something has been done. Perhaps we have resurrected another goalie from somewhere? Maybe we have made a hockey trade, who will it be?! I don't even care at this point who or what, just want to see that shimmering 10pt bold font subject line, denoting the winds of change, a beacon of hope and a signal to the start of our pending rise from the dirty, dirty cellar of the metro.

Not today folks, maybe tomorrow

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds just sucks. His body is giving out on him. That’s not to excuse him as he’s always avoided these questions when the team hit lows while others have been criticized for it. All because he plays a style that people like especially old hockey guy types.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
CONFIRMED WITH LINK - nothing, no changes today :( I'm sorry to play with your hopes

Everyday I go to work and hope that when I return home, and open up that free agent and trade forum (first), I will be greeted and rewarded for my daily effort with a little bar of green goodness, that something has been done. Perhaps we have resurrected another goalie from somewhere? Maybe we have made a hockey trade, who will it be?! I don't even care at this point who or what, just want to see that shimmering 10pt bold font subject line, denoting the winds of change, a beacon of hope and a signal to the start of our pending rise from the dirty, dirty cellar of the metro.

Not today folks, maybe tomorrow

Hate to bust your bubble, but my suspicion is that little will happen until after the Allstar break.
For one thing, Fletcher is probably still evaluating this team and his prospect pool, he has a six month period to strike, so he has to be prepared.
Teams that will want to add before the TDL will probably wait a few more weeks (less cap hit, more certainty that the overpay is worthwhile).

So I expect a lot of moves in early February, followed by major moves in June (1 big FA signing, 1-2 player/prospect/draft pick deals).
I think Fletcher will blow this team up, what's to lose? But I'll be surprised if he moves the top young (under 25) talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad