GDT: #44: Stars at FLYERS, Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
tenor.gif

As someone who has watched far too many Scott Gordon coached AHL games, let me break it down very quickly for you.

His system is trash. It's bad for even AHL standards. I've gone into detail on this quite a few times over the last few years.

The main reason the Phantoms were successful is because Hextall poured tons of money into the team. Our AHL payroll has been obscene the last few years.
Yup, it’s why I want them to clean house from top to bottom when it comes to coaching after this season.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I can't even describe Gordon's system. Is it just pushing the puck up the wall as quickly as possible to get it deep into the offensive zone as quickly as possible? I see a lot of passing up the wall and forwards either receiving the pass and dumping it in or deflected the pass in deep.
This about sums up what I'm seeing too. Get the puck out of the D zone as quickly as possible by any means necessary. I've seen some good quick breakouts happening recently but when it doesn't work it's turnover central, which is more often than not.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
tenor.gif

As someone who has watched far too many Scott Gordon coached AHL games, let me break it down very quickly for you.

His system is trash. It's bad for even AHL standards. I've gone into detail on this quite a few times over the last few years.

The main reason the Phantoms were successful is because Hextall poured tons of money into the team. Our AHL payroll has been obscene the last few years.

Just goes to show how big Hexys coaching blindspot was. Awful coaching at every level.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, it's an AHL system just as John Stevens' system was. They need to hold themselves accountable though. Their job is to win games; they need to find a way to do that.

He may be a lame coach just as Hakstol, Berube and Stevens were but, and this is the first time I'm saying this, maybe we have a different leadership problem as well. Maybe our C should be an A instead...

:facepalm:

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

I mean can we rule that out anymore? I just don't know. Maybe time for a new regime. Listen Forsberg was an amazing player but even he said he wasn't the right person to be a captain. Hell, how many of us had coaches that were former players but not the BEST players?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean can we rule that out anymore? I just don't know. Maybe time for a new regime. Listen Forsberg was an amazing player but even he said he wasn't the right person to be a captain. Hell, how many of us had coaches that were former players but not the BEST players?

This team might be 0-42 if not for Giroux

A bad team does not mean it has a bad Captain. Blame the awful players and coachs, not the best ones.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, it's an AHL system just as John Stevens' system was. They need to hold themselves accountable though. Their job is to win games; they need to find a way to do that.

He may be a lame coach just as Hakstol, Berube and Stevens were but, and this is the first time I'm saying this, maybe we have a different leadership problem as well. Maybe our C should be an A instead...
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Oh god am I on Twitter or Facebook right now?!?!

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
This team might be 0-42 if not for Giroux

A bad team does not mean it has a bad Captain. Blame the awful players and coachs, not the best ones.

I don't think he's a bad captain. But if we are going to have these rookie coaches, we need real leadership from somewhere. I don't think G is good at being a Pronger-like figure which may be what we need in the absence of a good coach.

Damn you and @Striiker might actually believe this forum is a dictatorship where if you don't fanboy over JVR or think G is the best captain we ever had, set FIRE

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think he's a bad captain. But if we are going to have these rookie coaches, we need real leadership from somewhere. I don't think G is good at being a Pronger-like figure which may be what we need in the absence of a good coach.

Damn you and @Striiker might actually believe this forum is a dictatorship where if you don't fanboy over JVR or think G is the best captain we ever had, set FIRE

I'm not going that far, settle down mang.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a Pronger type, but I just don't think leadership is the issue. It's coaching, special teams, trash vets playing over youth, total lack of confidence in what they are trying to do, and horrid goaltending (aside from Hart).

Reactions: Felipe88

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Oh boy, we've run into the typical embarrassed poster where they say something really dumb, get called out on it, can't defend it with any type of logic, so the reaction is to play victim as if they're being oppressed by other posters and not allowed to be different! :laugh:

Nobody cares what opinions you have, you can think whatever you want, but if you post them on here then we can give our reactions to your post. That's how a forum works. Suck it up.

As a side question: does anyone know of a single JVR fanboy on this entire board? Like literally anyone? Even one guy?

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Oh boy, we've run into the typical embarrassed poster where they say something really dumb, get called out on it, can't defend it with any type of logic, so the reaction is to play victim as if they're being oppressed by other posters and not allowed to be different! :laugh:

Nobody cares what opinions you have, you can think whatever you want, but if you post them on here then we can give our reactions to your post. That's how a forum works. Suck it up.

As a side question: does anyone know of a single JVR fanboy on this entire board? Like literally anyone? Even one guy?

Man it must be your time of the month.

I have a difference of opinion in that after multiple crappy coaches, this team despite having the same captain, seems to have a leadership problem. In the normal world, where we aren't hindered by rose colored glasses for specific athletes, it's a pretty natural concern to have. Ask any boss who they look to next if they fire the leadership and still don't get results.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Lol you're going to send people to the fainting couch on this one, although like everyone else who watches from their house, I have no idea if Giroux is a good leader in the room.

I guess you're right, I didn't realize Giroux was a protected Flyers folk lore member.

Though I should have expected it considering how many ppl defended Hextall until the very end when he threw himself a press conference after getting fired.

Correction: Because of the "shift" in that Pens series, Giroux has to be a GREAT captain forever and ever and ever xoxox

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For all the blame being tossed about, when it boils down to it, you need a 2C to produce WAY more than Patrick; Your 1 & 2 defensemen to play WAY better than Provorov & Ghost have; and your goaltending to be WAY better than league-worst save %. Failures at each of those *critical* roles are the biggest reasons they are 30th/31 in the league. When you’re that bad, it isn’t because of your 4th liners & bottom 3 defensemen.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I guess you're right, I didn't realize Giroux was a protected Flyers folk lore member.

Though I should have expected it considering how many ppl defended Hextall until the very end when he threw himself a press conference after getting fired.

Correction: Because of the "shift" in that Pens series, Giroux has to be a GREAT captain forever and ever and ever xoxox

No, Claude Giroux is a great leader because he excels at every aspect of hockey and elevates every single player who shares the ice with him. He's one of the best players in the league and the face of the franchise. He's the captain because of that example, and because that's pretty much how teams select captains in today's NHL.

Now, you might be right that the team has some locker room leadership deficiencies, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's Giroux's fault. In a metaphor, the best nautical captains aren't going to fare well with a crew full of invalids and a leaky ship.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
No, Claude Giroux is a great leader because he excels at every aspect of hockey and elevates every single player who shares the ice with him. He's one of the best players in the league and the face of the franchise. He's the captain because of that example, and because that's pretty much how teams select captains in today's NHL.

Now, you might be right that the team has some locker room leadership deficiencies, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's Giroux's fault. In a metaphor, the best nautical captains aren't going to fare well with a crew full of invalids and a leaky ship.

No doubt. None of us actually know what its like in the locker room. We do know the team has a big issue. They are professional athletes and their job is to win games. They aren't. He's just next in line by way of natural progression. Granted, we could do with some personnel changes on the ice but as you will see from my other comments I also am not buying what Fletcher is selling. McKenna is a joke. Could have just used Lyon who is definitely better

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man it must be your time of the month.

I have a difference of opinion in that after multiple crappy coaches, this team despite having the same captain, seems to have a leadership problem. In the normal world, where we aren't hindered by rose colored glasses for specific athletes, it's a pretty natural concern to have. Ask any boss who they look to next if they fire the leadership and still don't get results.

This is casual fan logic. Yikes.

tHe TeAm Is BaD, iT mUsT bE tHe CaPtAiNs FaUlT!

Does leadership make the goaltenders stay healthy or make saves?
Does leadership give the team a proper system to play?
Does leadership make the PK less passive?
Does leadership give players appropriate icetime?
Does leadership add scoring depth?
Does leadership make bad defensemen suddenly have more brains and skill?
Does leadership fix a declining player?
Does leadership stop players from making dumb mistakes on the ice?
Does leadership make their passes crisper?
Does leadership make their shots more accurate?

I'm just wondering which of these many problems that have been costing us games are the leaderships fault.

It's you. You defended him with all your might yesterday when I suggested his offense in Toronto wouldn't translate to our style of play.

Uh oh, now you're just blatantly lying too. :laugh:

You're really digging yourself a hole here, aren't you?

Not even a JVR fan. In fact, here's my first reaction to us signing him:

If this is a Simmonds replacement then I'm happy. If not, then I have some concerns.

And I maintain that mentality. Better than Simmonds but other than that... meh. He's not one of the teams big problems, if he was used properly he'd be more helpful and he's an upgrade on the PP, but I've also repeated constantly that I don't consider him a core piece.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
This is casual fan logic. Yikes.

tHe TeAm Is BaD, iT mUsT bE tHe CaPtAiNs FaUlT!

Does leadership make the goaltenders stay healthy or make saves?
Does leadership give the team a proper system to play?
Does leadership make the PK less passive?
Does leadership give players appropriate icetime?
Does leadership add scoring depth?
Does leadership make bad defensemen suddenly have more brains and skill?
Does leadership fix a declining player?
Does leadership stop players from making dumb mistakes on the ice?
Does leadership make their passes crisper?
Does leadership make their shots more accurate?

I'm just wondering which of these many problems that have been costing us games are the leaderships fault.

Uh oh, now you're just blatantly lying too. :laugh:

You're really digging yourself a hole here, aren't you?

Not even a JVR fan. In fact, here's my first reaction to us signing him:

And I maintain that mentality. Better than Simmonds but other than that... meh. He's not one of the teams big problems, if he was used properly he'd be more helpful and he's an upgrade on the PP, but I've also repeated constantly that I don't consider him a core piece.

Shhhhh.

If someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are a casual fan. By all indications I've been on this forum following this team twice as long as you. Doing something for 12 years is hardly casual. Be a grown up.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Shhhhh.

If someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are a casual fan. By all indications I've been on this forum following this team twice as long as you. Doing something for 12 years is hardly casual. Be a grown up.
I notice you ignored the rest of the post and only focused on one sentence.

That's extremely revealing. :laugh:

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I notice you ignored the rest of the post and only focused on one sentence.

That's extremely revealing. :laugh:
The shh was for the post bc it was too long and I don't feel like reading long posts.

You sure have a very specific formula for what you deem to be truth. x + y = casual, embarassed, "revealing" - must be hard to be someone with such little critical thinking or ability to see differing views. Do you live in an echo chamber? Participation awards on your desk?

We're all humans. People have different opinions that does not mean yours is right or wrong. It is what it is. Stop being insulting. You're becoming unbearable like @deadhead. Don't like what I have to say? Offer real dialogue. When you start with a juvenile insult, I stop reading.

Reactions: Doodootheclown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->